Author Topic: Richard Wood b1840: Canterbury, Kent.  (Read 3531 times)

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Richard Wood b1840: Canterbury, Kent.
« on: Saturday 13 October 12 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi all !  I’ve a year-long wall concerning the above..., any help would be extremely interesting.

Concerning the Wood/Boormans family census 1841/51:
James Wood b1809, Canterbury Kent. http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/33342780/person/18942126515
Celia (Cecilia) Ann Boormans 1821-1898, Canterbury, Kent. 
Married 1849.

In the 1841 census for Celia, she’s with Mary her mother, brothers and sisters; Amy, Pamela, Comfort, Silas and James. (all Boormans)   If you click on the census pages, you’ll find that there’s a mysterious James Wood who’s not mentioned on the Census.   This James is probably a visitor and is to become Celia’s future husband.   Also, he’s lying about his age ! (25 instead of 32)
In the 1851 census and having married Celia in 1849, the census continues to indicate a family of Boormans. (obviously not their children..., visitors, “adopted,” who knows ?)     
Anyway, on this 51 census there’s also a Richard Wood b1840 (11 years old) and down as a servant. (errand boy)

My problem:   In reality, I’m trying to find James Wood’s Father. (my 3xGr Grandfather)   Gypsies, hawkers and the like, not much is known about them before 1810.   Nonetheless, this Richard Wood is obviously family and at the end of his “errand-boy” day he’d return home on foot..., to find his father who’s surely a brother of James.   Lol..., it’s not that complicated !!   Meaning that James’s extended family live close-by in Canterbury.   

Richard’s family could eventually provide me with some info to continue the Wood-research and as I’m now skirmishing the Napoleonic Waterloo period..., and having served in the Scots Guards who participated in the battle and living not far from Waterloo in Belgium, I’d absolutely love to make a connection somewhere.

Any information would be extremely appreciated.   

Thanks in advance..., Iain.         

McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Wood b1840: Canterbury, Kent.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 October 12 21:16 BST (UK) »
Possible scenario.

There is a baptism in St Mary Northgate, Canterbury as follows:-

Richard Dray s/o Clara WOOD 19 July 1840
There is no mention that Clara is a single woman!  ???

Prior to this in reverse order are the following Register Entries in Canterbury.

Baptisms
Edwin s/o James & Clara WOOD 29 May 1836 – St Mary Northgate
James s/o James & Clara WOOD 2 March 1834 – St Alphage
Stephen Revell s/o James & Clara WOOD 17 June 1832 – St Alphage

Marriage
James WOOD & Clara REVELL 19 October 1830 – St Alphage

Burial
Clara WOOD 15 May 1849, age 38, King Street – St Alphage

It looks possible that James Wood was married before his marriage to Celia Boorman and had to wait until his first wife died before marrying again!  ??? ???

In 1841 this Richard can be found living in Staplegate, Canterbury with Clara and Richard Dray!  HO107, Piece 470, Book 5, page2.

I think I am fairly safe in saying that this Richard is not related to James in any formal way.

I hope this makes sense and helps in some way.  It doesn’t help you find the parents of James and I feel you will have to purchase the 1849 marriage certificate to find his father at least and move forward from there.

Best wishes,
Tony

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 October 12 23:01 BST (UK) »
I think we've been through this before to a degree so if we start with what we know for sure;)

In the 1841 census for Celia, she’s with Mary her mother, brothers and sisters; Amy, Pamela, Comfort, Silas and James. (all Boormans)   If you click on the census pages, you’ll find that there’s a mysterious James Wood who’s not mentioned on the Census.   This James is probably a visitor and is to become Celia’s future husband.   Also, he’s lying about his age ! (25 instead of 32)

Pamela, I'm pretty sure, is the daughter of James and Celia.  The 1m old baby, James, may well be "Jasper" who could be a son of James and Celia too.  In the 1841 census the ages of adults over 15 was quite often rounded down to the nearest 5 years so James could be anywhere between 25 and 29 if the census is correct.  See the link I've posted below for a suggested baptism for James WOOD 1813.  He is listed in the 1841 census as living in the same property, just a different "household" .......... probably down to the census enumerator or whoever gave the information to the enumerator.

James WOOD and Celia/Cecilia appear to have had the following children at least:

Pemily c1838 (married as Pemely Wood BOORMAN) m John FINN 1858
John c1842 (birth registered John Wood BOORMAN)
Binica 1845 (birth registered as Benneky Wood BOORMAN) married as Binaca WOOD) m John GREENLAND
Henry birth registered as Henry Wood BOORMAN 1847
William c1848
Mary Ann 1850
Ann c1852 (married as Anne WOOD)m Reuben BARTON
Amy c1855
James c1859 (married as James WOOD) m Emma GIMBER

The children were variously registered/baptised in the names of BOORMAN and/or WOOD sometimes dependant upon whether they were born before or after their parents were married.

See also http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SUSSEX-PLUS/1998-04/0892748584 which is worth considering.  James son of Jasper and Ann WOOD of Knotts Lane, labourer baptised St Alphage, Canterbury 21 Feb 1813.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 October 12 06:12 BST (UK) »
Tony, thank you very much for your help.  There’s a lot of info there to be researched.   To tell you the truth, I had never thought about buying a certificate..., everything having been done via Ancestry and the Internet.   Please don’t laugh..., but who do I contact on-line ? 

Casalguidi…, as usual, you are a wonderful help !   Thanks !  ;)

As you say, we’ve been there before but it pleases me to mention that I’m not the only one..., lol !   Probably because things just don’t tie up.   You said... “Pamela, I'm pretty sure, is the daughter of James and Celia.”   
But Pamela/Pemta, (unless there’s another one somewhere) in the 51 census is down as Boorman. (and not Wood)   
Also, in the 1841 census, Pamela Boorman (aged 2) is down as sister to Celia Boorman.   Ten years later, Mother Mary has probably died and in the meantime, Celia (now married to James and with their own children John, Bianca, Mary Ann, Henry and William) she seems to be looking after her 12-year old sister Pamela.

1841:
Mary Boorman  50
Celia Boorman  20
Amy Boorman  5
Pamela Boorman  2
Comfort Boorman  10
Silas Boorman  4
James Boorman  1 Mo

1851:
James Wood  42
Cecilia Wood  33
Pemta Boorman  12
John Boorman  8
Binaca Boorman  6
Henry Boorman  4
William Boorman  2
Mary Ann Wood  5
Richard Wood  11

As for James/Jasper Boorman..., I also had my suspicions as to the father.  Lol !  But of course, this is pure speculation as Father Boorman could simply have been out hawking at some near-by fair ground.
But if we keep with what we officially see on the 41 census, all the family are Boormans and while the enumerator is taking the names, James Wood has just knocked at the front door, so-to-speak.   

That Rootsweb URL looks extremely interesting especially those dates..., but once again, “Pamely” is down as a daughter when she’s in fact a sister.

As for poor old Richard..., no mention of him !  Ho hum..., back to the drawing board !  Lol !   

Thanks Casalguidi and Tony…, despite my problems, your info has been a great help. 
Have a nice week end..., Iain. :)
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 October 12 06:22 BST (UK) »

The children were variously registered/baptised in the names of BOORMAN and/or WOOD sometimes dependant upon whether they were born before or after their parents were married.

Casalguidi..., just digested your remark !   That could be the answer to my problem !
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 October 12 07:18 BST (UK) »

James son of Jasper and Ann WOOD of Knotts Lane, labourer baptised St Alphage, Canterbury 21 Feb 1813.

Casalguidi...  Do you mean that Jasper and Ann are James's parents ? (James b1813 husband of Celia)  ???
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 October 12 08:41 BST (UK) »
1851:
James Wood  42
Cecilia Wood  33
Pemta Boorman  12
John Boorman  8
Binaca Boorman  6
Henry Boorman  4
William Boorman  2
Mary Ann Wood  5 (should read 5m = 5 months)
Richard Wood  11

All the children (excepting Richard) are down as daughter or son.  The children born before the marriage of James and Cecilia are listed as BOORMAN as that was their name because their parents weren't married at the time of their births.  You can see the birth registrations for some of the children at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com ie. Benneky Wood BOORMAN 1845 ;)

Also, in the 1841 census, Pamela Boorman (aged 2) is down as sister to Celia Boorman.
The 1841 census doesn't give any relationships at all ;)

But if we keep with what we officially see on the 41 census, all the family are Boormans and while the enumerator is taking the names, James Wood has just knocked at the front door, so-to-speak.
Noooooooooooo ..................... he was there alright just listed separately because he wasn't a BOORMAN ;D

Do you mean that Jasper and Ann are James's parents ? (James b1813 husband of Celia)
  It's possible.  The marriage certificate of James WOOD to Cecilia may be a help.  Certificates may be ordered online at http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp but I would firstly see if anybody has access to Canterbury marriages ........... put out a new request for that specific item.

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 October 12 10:43 BST (UK) »
Casalguidi…, you are an angle !  Thanks !

You know..., like Monica for Scotland (Argyll) with over 17.000 postings, you must spend half your life on this site helping people like me.  The answers you provide need research and even if it only takes 10 minutes per post that’s over a hundred days, 24/24.  Congratulations..., that’s what I call passion !   ;)

Kind Regards..., Iain.   :)
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 October 12 12:27 BST (UK) »
Total Time Spent Online:    277 days, 9 hours and 43 minutes

Shhhhhhhsh ................. that is scarey ;D