Author Topic: Richard Wood b1840: Canterbury, Kent.  (Read 3526 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Wood b1840: Canterbury, Kent.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 March 19 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

Did you ever manage to establish whether James Woods father was Jasper Wood?

Im trying to discover whether or not some Woods that ive now connected to my family are related to these Woods.

The furthest back ive got at the moment is a William Wood,chimney sweep, who died in Faversham Workhouse in 1846.He married 1st to Elizabeth Woodman 13/10/1810 Canterbury,then after her death to Eden Terry nee Page 10/06/1833 Faversham.He had 6 children by Elizabeth all baptized in Canterbury:

Elizabeth 1813

Susan 1815

John 1817

Ann 1820

Robert 1824

William on 18/06/1826.

William was also a sweep who married Eliza Hinds in Faversham.

William and Eliza had a son John,a sweep,who married my gg grandfathers 1st cousin Mary Ann Jacobs in Faversham 23/05/1875.He was born in Faversham in 1857.

Separate from these,Mary Ann Jacobs grandfather James Jacob(my 4xg grandfather),had a sister Susan who married a John Wood in Faversham 04/06/1825.The 1851 gives his birth as c1798 Whitstable.

The Robert Wood,brother of William,who i mentioned earlier and on a seperate post,was an intresting character.On 1851,hes in Gaol,his occupation is given as sweep.On the 1871,his occupation is marine store dealer.I recently had a free trial on findmypast,and discovered multiple articles through the mid 1800s about his exploits.This is an excerpt from one in the local Faversham paper dated 05/09/1848:

Commitment of a notorious character and his escape from gaol.A notorious character named Robert Wood,a sweep,was examined before the borough magistrates,on Friday last,charged with stealing a quantity of iron chain,from the coal yard of Messeurs Barnes,the property of the contractor...................

On Saturday afternoon,the prisoner contrived to effect his escape from gaol,by scaling the wall of the yard in which he was confined,and although a hot chase was given,he contrived to escape,having,it is supposed,concealed himself in Bysing Wood.Although seen by several persons,none of them had the courage to apprehend him.One of the borough magistrates,Mr C J Hilton,saw the prisoner making off,and followed him for some distance,when the latter,having gained a small shaw,was lost sight of.

The prisoner is about 5ft 5inches in height,slightly made,and squints with both eyes.He escaped without either shoe or stockings.He travels the country,buying old iron,bones etc.

I have posted separately about him,but the trail; seems to go cold for him and "wife" Harriet after 1871.

Just one other thing for now,clutching at straws a bit.The William Wood born c1817 Canterbury on the census who might be Roberts brother married a Mary Ann Godsmark in Canterbury in 1830s,forgot to write down exact date.On the 1891,living a couple of doors away from your Celia Wood is a Thomas Godsmark born 1831 Gravesend.Very tenuous,but sometimes,when your struggling you have to look at bigger picture,geography,occupations etc.

Any help on this very much appreciated.

Many thanks.