Poll

What is the name of the author who closes with Deine B----

Bertha
0 (0%)
Berta
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: More help with German script COMPLETED  (Read 2891 times)

Offline scorny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
More help with German script COMPLETED
« on: Sunday 14 October 12 05:43 BST (UK) »
Another postcard that may hold clue to family, but I cannot make out script. Could you please transcribe and translate.  With the help of two very skilled people, I feel that I now have a very good translation of the card; however so far there is quite a bit of uncertainty about the name of the author who signed the card so I thought I would do a poll just to cover all bases.

Here are some tips that might help:

The language used is German
The time is 1922
The author is a woman
I believe the Kurrent script is being used

Keep in mind that the space on this post card is limited and that may have affected the handwriting.

Thanks
Harder, Lohberg, Superczynski, Corneliussen, Schoolmann, Rospenda, Ratjen

Vestfold Norge, Schleswig-Holstein, Posen, Poland

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: More help with German script
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 October 12 20:59 BST (UK) »
A tiny little help:

The addresses surname is Struve, I thought it began Meine liebe Mutter (my dear mother) at first glance but I think it's probably a name rather than Mutter (I seem to remeber muttie is used instead like mum is for mother but that doesn't quite fit either!).

It's signed deine B..... (your B...), Bergen is the only German forename I can think of that fits?

Sorry it's been a lifetime or two since I studied German!

Paul

EDIT: I see from your other post it's Martha Struve and the town is Uetersen!

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 October 12 11:13 BST (UK) »
I'm finding the names difficult and can only think that they that they are shortened versions of proper names, at any rate they are both female names.

Meine liebe (Meta?)
Bei meinem gestrigen Brief hab ich ganz vergessen noch einmal Deiner zu erwähnen.  Wir halten es als selbstverständlich, daß die Einladung auch für Dich mitgeht.  Grüß Deine Eltern nur recht herzlich von mir ich ließe herzlich bitten, daß sie Dich herreisen lassen.
Deine (Berten?)

My dear Meta
In my letter of yesterday I quite forgot to mention you again.  Of course it's taken for granted that the invitation included you.  Send my warmest regards to your parents and tell them that I earnestly request that they will allow you to travel here.
Your (Berten)

Tried to make the last name into Berta, but I can't see it.

The card is also addressed to Meta, I think..Fräulein Meta Struve
Address - Uetersen/F (the F should really stand for something like a river name, but the nearest rivers are the Pinnau and the Elbe)
               Kühlenstr. 22  (str. short for Straße = street)

Since the writer uses the familiar form of address, you can assume that Meta at least is either a young girl or that these are friends or family members.

Hope someone else can solve the mystery of the names.

Gillg

The postmark appears to be Lübeck, although the L is missing.  Can't decipher a date, though.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Eidde

• RootsChat Member
  • (no relation)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 October 12 11:28 BST (UK) »
I agree with Gillg's translation - just beat me to it!

I thought it ended with 'Your Bertha', but that's more commonly the English spelling, I suppose (although a quick Google of German language sites does show a lot of Berthas)

Eddie

EDIT

The date of posting appears to be 21 Oct 1922 (the stamps were in circulation in 1921-2).

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 October 12 11:37 BST (UK) »
It could be Bertha - she had come to the edge of the postcard and perhaps couldn't squeeze it in properly.

Gillg

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Eidde

• RootsChat Member
  • (no relation)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 October 12 11:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, could be... the 'Ber' seems clear enough, then I thought I could see a 't' without a cross, followed by a stunted 'h' and finally a rather open 'a'

And I presume the word partly obscured by the stamp is fräulein (= Miss)

Eddie

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 October 12 11:51 BST (UK) »
I'd agree with the names being Meta and Bertha.
The date on the postmark (most visible on the right-hand green stamp) is 21.10.[19]22, which makes sense because it's the middle of the period of great inflation. Three Marks for a domestic postcard is a heck of a lot, considering that the cost was only 5 to 8 pfennigs before & after.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 October 12 14:17 BST (UK) »
I get the feeling that the handwriting is that of an older person, also Bertha talks about "we", as though she is speaking on behalf her family or maybe her husband.

Well spotted, apwright, for finding the date.  You have much better eyesight than I do!

Gillg

Offline scorny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 October 12 15:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for your help.  This much I know.  The salutation is definitely "Meine liebe META" that is almost the only part I can read.  The time-frame is correct.  We know that Meta was living in Uetersen (Kreis Pinneberg) circa 1921 or 1922. The familiar address makes sense since Meta would have been a teenager at the time, although nearly an adult. The author of the message was most likely an elder relative.

I am wondering if the name mentioned in closing is male or female?  There appear to be many Bertrams or Bertrands in the family.  Could this be the name?  I don't know.  Would the "diene" indicate a female?
Harder, Lohberg, Superczynski, Corneliussen, Schoolmann, Rospenda, Ratjen

Vestfold Norge, Schleswig-Holstein, Posen, Poland