Author Topic: Annie Gray dob 01/09/1871  (Read 5978 times)

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annie Gray dob 01/09/1871
« on: Sunday 14 October 12 15:01 BST (UK) »
Please help if you can.
I have tried Scotland's People but cannot find my Great Grandmother being born in Hawick.

It is a slightly long story.

Annie Gray married John Reid Nicolson in Chile in 1904. The Nicolson side has been easy. John Reid Nicolson was born in Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire and was ultimately a sea captain, spending many years abroad in and around South America.
John Reid Nicolson is in Aberdeen in 1901, living in his sister's household (Stewart) with his mother. However they are abroad until the mid 20s.

I have recently discovered a passport issued by the Chilean Consulate which lists Annie's dob as 1st September 1871 in Hawick. Up until this point I have gone with a cousin's work which had Annie Gray as being born 2nd September 1871 in Greenock. However, if one follows that lead, recent census (1911) and this passport questions what my cousin had done for that Annie Gray. She now has a recollection from when she was a little girl of the name Hawick being mentioned by my grandmother. All the people I could ask are long since gone and I am just trying to sort things out.
I have used Scotland's People, which is brilliant, but it would be costly to go through possible records on the off chance. It may be likely that although she went by Annie, she could be Ann/ Anne or even it could be a middle name.
Any ideas and any help would be appreciated.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Gray dob 01/09/1871
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 October 12 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Have you looked at Annie's death certificate to see if there is any information about parents ?  :-\
What did you find on the 1911 Census ?

ev

Added - looks like Annie died in Hampshire , England , in 1931(age 59)
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 October 12 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I have looked at Scotlands People for you too.

There is the Annie Gray born in 1871 in Grenock as you have mentioned your sister
found.  There is also a
Agnes Annie Gray born at Jebugh, Roxburghshire which is 10 miles away from Hawick
she was born later than 1871 in 1875 on 13th December.  Her parents were Robert and
Bessie.  Their marriage was 25 April 1873 at Jedburgh. Robert is a Wool Dyer.
If for any reason Annie needed to look younger or even older for a job or a
situation it was something that you could do easily in those days as there wasnt
the paper trail that we have nowadays.

You dont mention the children of Annie and John?   Was there a Robert and a
Elizabeth in those children?  In Scottish childrens names they do have a sequence
of the names which included all 4 for the Grandparents.

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 October 12 16:15 BST (UK) »
Annoyingly she died in Hampshire and the English records are not as detailed as Scottish ones. The 1911 census just proved that the Gray Pollock link was wrong. They were back and forth to Chile until the 20s. They do make an appearance in Inchture which I have just found out as a result of a passenger list which pointed me to Inchture. Just need to check on this, Java is playing up so I can't see the census but this may be promising.

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 October 12 16:36 BST (UK) »
Thought I was on to a winner but the Inchture link in 1911 was the brother, and the headteacher of the school house. In 1919 I take it my grandmother and her sister went to school at her Uncle's school. I have them arriving back in England in 1910 and 1919. Interestingly there is a Mrs (?) Ada Gray above Annie Nicolson on a passenger list in 1910. A relation???
My grandmother (i.e. the children) was Llone Margaret Nicolson and her sister was Annie Gray Nicolson. The Margaret was from the Nicolson side.

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 October 12 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

From the National probate calender(index of wills & Administrations)

Nicholson John Reid of Glenforg Waterford Lane Lymington Hampshire died 21 September 1960 Probate London 14 December to Robert Walter Barnes Solicitor Annie Grey Ford widow and Jean Baggot married woman.
Effects 9369 pounds 10s 1d.

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 October 12 19:35 BST (UK) »
That's right, Annie Gray Ford was daughter and Jean Baggott was daughter from JR Nicolson's second marriage.

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 October 12 19:53 BST (UK) »
Yes my mistake.

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 November 12 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Why oh why did they have to spend so much time abroad... may have to have a holiday to Chile!