Author Topic: Catherine Turley birth/emigration lookup please  (Read 9575 times)

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Turley birth/emigration lookup please
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 15:25 BST (UK) »
I'll see what I can find for Annie's birth

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 15:38 BST (UK) »
Are you in Ireland ,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 15:43 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'm living in Cork. Originally from Newcastle West myself. Annie's daughter Catherine had a family there.

Annie Turley (Casey) -> Catherine O'Connor (Turley) -> Joan Dwane (O'Connor) -> Zara Dwane -> Cooper Haskett.

Cooper is my son, and this research is for a document that I will give to his grandmother for Christmas. She and her brothers/sisters know very little about the family history, it was all hush hush when they were growing up, her mother never spoke about it.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 16:14 BST (UK) »
I couldnt think of a nicer gift to give to  your family,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 16:23 BST (UK) »
So where did Thomas the father go to I wonder,
did he remarry or die,

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 16:31 BST (UK) »
My brother in law did some research on him a few years back, but I believe he had the wrong Thomas. I think he based his work on Thomas's father being Thomas Snr., not Patrick like you discovered. So I don't really trust the information he has.

Once I get the marriage certificate for Thomas and Annie, that should clear the issue up a little.

So, long story short, I have no idea what became of Thomas once his wife and son died and his daughters were taken from him.

I'm hoping to speak to a relative this evening who may be able to shed a little light on a few more facts, so watch this space.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 17:18 BST (UK) »
I will be back about nine so I hope you have some information,

Annie Mc Andrews plenty of them around,

Patrick Turley very few,
one death registered Abercromby ,Patrick Torley death,aged 54 1925

The lack of siblings being baptised to me ,makes me think he could be a mariner,especialy out of Liverpool

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 22:04 BST (UK) »
So here is what I found out:
Thomas died in 1970. He was a coal miner and also "looked after a block of flats".

His daughters would have pretty much been taken to Ireland within a couple of months after Annie's death. He never set foot in Ireland but he sent letters to his daughter Catherine which still exist. I will get to see these in 2 weeks time.

Catherine invited Thomas to his daughter's wedding in Ireland in 1968 but he never came.

Catherine visited Liverpool again in 1991 with her daughter Mary. Catherine died in 1992. This is as much information that I could get.

Also in another thread it looks like Annie may have been christened Joanna or Hanora which became Annie in Liverpool.

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 18 October 12 08:41 BST (UK) »
From information from another family member, I got this:

Thomas Turley died on May 18, 1970 - although I can't find this on freeBMD.

Nancy and Catherine lived with 2 different aunts when they returned to Ireland. Catherine went with the "Coffey family" in Rathina, Newcastle West and Nancy went to the "O'Connor" family in Boherbue, Newcastle West. The mothers in each of these families would have had Casey as their Maiden name. Catherine and Nancy only began to live together when Catherine was 9 and Nancy was 7 because the family minding Catherine "threw them out".

Also, Thomas would send home "big boxes of sweets" to the girls at certain times of the year, but there would be no note attached.

Once I get to read the letters, I will be able to get an address for where Thomas lived before he died. I believe this would be the "block of flats" which he "looked after".