Author Topic: Crawford/Lindsay family  (Read 21972 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crawford/Lindsay family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Scarbro,
            I have just come across your posting but I can say that William Crawford married Rachel (sic) Lindsay in Limavady First Presbyterian Church on 17 Oct 1883.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Husulo,
            Welcome to Rootschat. If you can supply some more information about Sarah Crawford, such as parents, there are quite a few of us who will do our best to supply you with some information.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline husulo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 23:02 GMT (UK) »
My Grandmother (Sarah J Crawford) was born in the year 1876 at Newton Limavady,Ireland and died at the age of 32 February 17,1908 at
The Butler County General Hospital- Butler,Pennsylvania.Sarah was married to Alexander R.McDowell.
 The person or persons handling The Catherine Crawford Estate were R.G.Connell & Son,Limavady,They have never responded to my mail or E-Mails.
My mothers last letter from R.G. Connell & Son was dated 22nd August,1958.The executor of Martha Crawford Estate was a John W McCloy
Milt
In the picture Sarah J Crawford, husband Alexander R. McDowell and son Andrew

Note I believe when Martha Crawford died,her house and property was still listed as The Catherine Crawford Estate
Husulo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Looks like an earlier William Crawford in Lisnagrib townland- "The Will of William Crawford late of Lisnagrib County Londonderry Farmer who died 22 December 1882 at same place was proved at Londonderry by David Hopkins of Bolea in said County Farmer one of the Executors." see www.proni.gov.uk
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    The Record Search section of www.familysearch.org shows only two births of Sarah J. (Jane) Crawford, one in 1871 and the other in 1874.

They are Sarah Jane Crawford born 21 Apr 1871 to Thomas Crawford and Catherine Henry who married in Drumachose Presbyterian Church, Limavady on 21 Apr1869. Her siblings were Hugh b 1873 and Martha Ann b1875. Children's births were recorded in Bellarena sub district which is convenient for Lisnagrib.

The other was Sarah Jane Crawford born 1 Jun 1874 to Allisan Crawford and Rebecca Carrick who were married in Ballykelly Church of Ireland on 25 May 1871. Her siblings wereMary b1877 and Margaret Ann b 1879. Children's births were recorded in Ballykelly sub district.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Those are the 2 Sarah Jane Crawfords I also found. Perhaps her birth was registered just as 'Sarah' or 'female.'
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Tried SARAH and FEMALE and still only found the two registered in Limavady district which I mentioned above.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline rob elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 January 10 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Scarbro,

Can't help you directly with the family but perhaps a suggestion.

Firstly are yours dates of birth right for Margaret. Reason i ask is there is a Rachel [64] and Margaret [21] Crawford living in Margarreta Street Coleraine in the 1911 census. No other Crawfords there and Rachel is listed as widow.
However the Margaret is listed as what looks like Margaret 'G' not 'L'.
Both Presbyterians

No other Rachel/Margaret's anywhere.

There are three possible Rachel Crawford's signed the Ulster Covenant in Limavady in 1912.

The other suggestion i would make is to look for Margaret and Abraham.
There are Wharton's in Northern Ireland mostly in Co Down, but no Abraham.
I was thinking as they were married in 1916, during the 1st war is there a possibility he was a soldier, maybe English. There are quite a few Abraham Wharton's coming up in English records.

Rob

Offline scarbro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 January 10 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, thank you to everyone who has posted about the Crawford families of Lisnagrib. I still need to go through all my paperwork to double -check but am very interested in the possible link between the William Crawford I have on our tree and the family of Thomas Crawford and Catherine Henry. My mother-in-law has always said that there were some cousins in the US or Canada so maybe Sarah Jane is the link? Who knows?
Then onto your post, Rob: thank you for your comments. This is what I know:  I have a copy of the original 1911 transcript and the age of Margaret is definitely 24. She was born 08/06/1886 and I have a copy of her birth certificate. I agree the L could be a G but I ignored that as I have seen their details and signatures for the Ulster Covenant which they signed in Coleraine giving 6 Margeretta Terrace as their address. The only problem is that I have never been able to find when William Crawford the husband of Rachel died. He was alive and living in Lisnagrib in 1901 but by 1911 Rachel is a widow.
Abraham Thomas Wharton was born in Cluincarrig Killorglin Kerry. He married Margaret Lindsay Crawford  05/07/1916 Ballywatt Ballyrashane Co Antrim. They lived in Donegal where they had 3 children. Margaret died in 1926.
I need to find out who else was living at Lisnagrib in the 1901 census. I know that Catherine and Martha Crawford were living at no 1 in 1911 but have misplaced my 1901 info.
Best wishes to all
Scarbro
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk