Author Topic: Fannon  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Jane Fannon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Fannon
« on: Sunday 29 May 05 10:15 BST (UK) »
Having successfully traced my father's family back to my great, great grandfather, I seem to have hit a brick wall.

My great, great grandparents were James and Mary, both born in Ireland, who appear in the census records for Alnwick, Northumberland in 1861, he was born in or around 1824.  I've managed to pinpoint their probable starting point in Ireland to Roscommon as that seems to be where the family was centred, but can now get no further.

Can anyone help me now?  Are there Fannons still living in the area?

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Fannon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 August 05 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far.

The following resources may be of help to you.

The General Register Office of Ireland

The Public Record Office of Northern Ireland

[url=http://www.irishroots.net/]Irish Roots

The National Library of Ireland

Irish Genealogy

Genealogical Society of Ireland

Irish Ancestors

National Archives of Ireland

Perhaps you would like to have a look at these resources to see if there is anything that might help you.

Please come back with any further queries or to let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Fannon
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Having successfully traced my father's family back to my great, great grandfather, I seem to have hit a brick wall.

My great, great grandparents were James and Mary, both born in Ireland, who appear in the census records for Alnwick, Northumberland in 1861, he was born in or around 1824.  I've managed to pinpoint their probable starting point in Ireland to Roscommon as that seems to be where the family was centred, but can now get no further.

Can anyone help me now?  Are there Fannons still living in the area?

Hello Jane,

I'm not from Roscommon but I know there are Fannons still in the county. It's amazing what a bit of Googling produces. The Roscommon Herald reported on the Roscommon and District League's exit from the Oscar Traynor Cup. Mention was made of a guy named Fannon who played for Roscommon.

I'm a great believer in the Local Studies departments in large libraries. The staff in such places are usually extremely helpful so I'd suggest that you send an email to the Local Studies Department of Roscommon Library and see what that produces. 

Good luck with the research,

Chris