Author Topic: 'Roma' passenger list 1833  (Read 5181 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'Roma' passenger list 1833
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 07:06 BST (UK) »

There was very little on the W Barrett on the "Roma" anyway, he could easily be listed under different spelling arrangements eg, Barett, Baret, Barratt etc.

Gerry

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 12:26 BST (UK) »

There is a family tree that suggests.

William Barrett, born Devon 1857 died 29th July 1907 at Stuart Town NSW with his father as Charles Thomas William Barrett & Mother, Harriett Dyer.

Susan Barret (nee Cannon) died 5th August 1935 at Wellington NSW.

Regards
Gerry

Offline suzanna

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I have the following relative Sampson Lemons (Lemon) sailed from Plymouth on The Roma arrival date April 1883 at Cooktown, Queensland.  His birth date is given as 1862 and he is 21.
I am finding the Australian Records difficult to research.  It would be nice if I could at least see the original passenger list.
Can anyone out there be of help to me

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat,

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/Indexes/Immigration/Pages/Immigration1848.aspx

to

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/ImmigrationIndexes/Documents/Assisted-Immigrants-1848-1912-L.pdf

But the "L" pdf does not have a Sampson LEMONS or LEMON listed arriving in Queensland. 

The voyage of the Roma that is mentioned in this thread was one arriving in August 1883.   

Here is a newspaper cutting showing the vessel in Queensland waters in April/May 1883
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/169525475 Mackay Mercury and South Kennedy Advertiser  2 May 1883.

Sorry, but  I cannot find the image of the original passenger list from April 1883.

I am sure there will be RChatters along shortly who do have good understanding of Queensland researchings.  I am very NSW centric.

Cheers, JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 00:34 GMT (UK) »

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Well found Debra,  snap. 

I am only up to page 33 of that pdf.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 00:47 GMT (UK) »
I can't see any passenger list for the Roma for that date either, although the arrival is mentioned newspapers.

Did your man die in Western Australia?

http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/_apps/pioneersindex/
1907 # 57, registered at Northam
Samson LEMON

There is also at least one newspaper entry for the name "Samson LEMON" but I can only get the index up , not the actual page at the moment.
It is in
The Northam Advertiser, Saturday 18 May 1901
and I think it concerns Samson and some others "being charged with playing an unlawful game for money"
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=samson+lemon

There is another mention in 1899, also at Northam where Samson is giving evidence.  Once again, just at present I cannot get the page to load but the summary shows that he said "I am a brick..........."  And, IF it's the same Samson LEMON living in Ruabon, Wales in 1881 his occupation was given then as "brickmakers labourer"

His probate notices are on TROVE as well and, apparently he was also known as "Samuel LEMON"

Hopefully Trove will be running better soon.

Good finds, Debra and JM

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much all of you who have replied.  It is wonderful.  Thank you.
I am sure this is my relative, we have been looking for him for years, he was last in 1881 census at Ruabon, Nr Wrexham and was a brickmakers labourer, oddly enough just seen one of the posts down below it is mentioned that Sampson was a brickmakers labourer in Australia.  I did look at the Ls but as one of the folk replying found out he was under Samson Lennon, thank you so much for being so sharp eyed and noticing this. I am overwhelmed that I now have some leads.  Later in the day I will click on some of the links and see what I can find. Thank you all.  Jenny

Offline suzanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I have been though some of the links kindly sent to me regarding Samson Lemon who went out to Australia on Roma arriving April 1883. I still have to go through a lot more of Trove but I have already thanks to your kindness and links found some very interesting articles.  Another question I would like to put, is that I searched for Samson Lemon and Probate as someone had replied that they had seen a probate record for Samson, he died in Northam in 1907.  It says he died intestate, I am presuming he died without leaving a will by that.  There was actually quite a lot of surviving family, sisters and their families living in Wales and England when he died, but it seems that in the absence of any will as I interpret this, any monies remaining after any debts and probably funeral expenses were paid off went to the government.  Is there any way I can obtain a copy of the details of his estate, as he must have left a small amount of money as probate was granted? Sadly I have looked at the marriage records and it looks as though he never married, so his name did not carry on.  Jenny (Suzanna)