Author Topic: Alexander Lumsden, Mining Engineer  (Read 2719 times)

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Lumsden, Mining Engineer
« on: Wednesday 17 October 12 11:35 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can tell me where Alexander Lumsden, Mining Engineer, is buried.   He died on 10th June 1894 at Bellsquarry, Parish of Mid Calder, aged 64, and was buried on 15th June, according to his obituary in the Courier.  He may be buried in the Mid Calder/West Calder area, although his family came from the Tollcross area of Glasgow and he may have been taken there.  He had worked at the oil works at Addiewell near West Calder for 20 years.   He was single but I know he had Lumsden relatives living in West Calder in 1891, so he may be buried with them?
Smellie from Gartshore to New Monkland;  Sneddon from Polmont to New Monkland;  Lumsden, Bo'ness to Lanarkshire;  Black, McCallum, Wotherspoon at New Monkland;  Fyfe at  Cambuslang;  Currie, Hamilton on Arran; Gilchrist, Brown, Campbell on Islay

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Lumsden, Mining Engineer
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Alys

Alexander Lumsden, mining engineer, died 11/6/1894 and was buried 15/6/1894 in West Calder. Lair no. E8.

His address is shown as Bellsquarry and he died of cancer of the stomach. He is shown as aged 67 and born in Scotland, brother of I. Lumsden.

No others are shown as being buried in the same lair.

Regards
Jean

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 22:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jean.  It’s good to know where he is buried at last.  Can you tell me if his lair is in a churchyard or at a newer cemetery and is there a plan available somewhere?
His address and the cause of death you have found are the same as on his death record on Scotlands People, but his age is clearly given there as 64, which ties in with census records.  What intrigues me  is that the record you have found mentions a brother I. Lumsden.  I don’t believe he had a brother whose name begins with the letter I.  I wonder if it was a J in the original document.  He had a brother James and a brother John.  James disappears after the 1851 census, but John would be alive in 1894.  Do you know where I could view the original record to check it out?  Alys
Smellie from Gartshore to New Monkland;  Sneddon from Polmont to New Monkland;  Lumsden, Bo'ness to Lanarkshire;  Black, McCallum, Wotherspoon at New Monkland;  Fyfe at  Cambuslang;  Currie, Hamilton on Arran; Gilchrist, Brown, Campbell on Islay

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Alys

The info comes from a CD purchased from the West Lothian Family History Society. The burial place is shown as "West Calder" so presume that it is a cemetery, as burials from the churchyard are shown as "West Calder Churchyard" The info is transcribed from the original burial registers. The "I" could easily be a mistake in the transcription.

With regards to a plan of the cemetery, perhaps you could contact Donna.Johnston@westlothian.gov.uk
She may be able to send you a plan. She kindly sent me a plan of Uphall Cemetery.

Regards
Jean

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 23:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Jean.  I'll follow up these leads you have kindly given me.  Alys

Offline big nanook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
west calder churchyardRe: Alexander Lumsden, Mining Engineer
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 January 13 01:04 GMT (UK) »
had a look at west calder churchyard  and he is not there and you should be glad as it a hard cem to find individuals sometimes as it has  an unusual layout most cems in area has sections as a b or cand so on then lair number but this on has north and south and centre then the lair number but putting that to the side alexander lumsden who died in 1894  on june 11 the minining een is buried in main cem in west calder not churchyard and if  you want all details  ect  let me know as i have them here  and i most likely have a copy of plan lying about somewher i have section lair plot number  cause of death ect  so let me know and i will send you a per mess with all in it  hopefully i can dig up everything except the man himself and i will check who is buried in beside him  big nanook and usher guide dog

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 January 13 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your kind offer.  I'll send a PM after this.