Author Topic: YOUNG & NICHOLSON Families in Monaghan. Have I reached the end of my rope?  (Read 15617 times)

Offline owenzachary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
YOUNG & NICHOLSON Families in Monaghan. Have I reached the end of my rope?
« on: Thursday 18 October 12 17:51 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the Young Family from Monaghan. I know, pretty vague, but here's what I do know:

William Bedell Young     born or christened :  11 March 1809  Monaghan, Ireland
                                    died: 15 November 1818 Chicago, Illinois
Mary Nicholson Young    born or christened: 12 JUL 1810 in Armagh, Ireland (or Monaghan not confirmed)
                                    died:  2 SEP 1866 in Peoria, Illinois

They married 21 March 1828 in Monaghan, Monaghan, Ireland

*  This is all information from our family records my gggrandfather had. Most of it confirmed except marriage.

They had 6 kids, 4 born in Ireland, 2 in Illinois:

Andrew :  b. 1829  Monaghan
John         b. 1831  Monaghan
Elizabeth  b. 1833  Monaghan
Mary        b.  1837 Monaghan  -  my 3rd grandmother
William John  b. 1842 Bureau County Illinois
Henry George b. 1848 Bureau County Illinois

From our family records and census info they came to the US in Jan 1842.  I have searched for every ship I could find online in 1841/1842 to see if I could find them. Nothing. Looked to see if they came in groups. Nothing. Not sure what port them came through but their destination was Bureau County Illinois.

It was also stated at some point in their travels their ship wrecked or had some sort of accident, but that all aboard survived. Searched wrecks...nothing.

I do not know religious information for them. I do know from census records that they were farmers for quite sometime after they came over (and very wealthy ones at that), then William Bedell Young was listed as a "gentleman" then a real estate agent.  Several of his sons became real estate/land agents in Chicago, IL.

I was going to order their death certificates, but their area of birth would only say Monaghan Ireland.  At this point I'm at a loss. For experienced Irish researchers, are there any other ways of finding information about their life before they came to the states? I have looked at almost every resource listed in this forum without success, so I wanted to try the Monaghan board for my one last shot at the Young Family.

I'd appreciate any advice or ideas you could send my way :)
Thank you,

Cindy
Bradenton, FL, USA

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: YOUNG & NICHOLSON Families in Monaghan. Have I reached the end of my rope?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 October 12 22:50 BST (UK) »
Not all passenger lists survive, certainly not for that period, and I suspect that of those that are still around not all will be easily found online. Given the location of Bureau County, Illinois (just west of Chicago) they could have arrived in the U.S. via Canada.

The most likely sources for finding their Irish roots are likely to be in U.S. records.

Have you checked for newspaper obituaries? since they were fairly prominent there's a better chance of getting a newspaper report which might mention a location in Ireland (don't forget to check for the whole family not just the parents and children born in Ireland).

Local histories often given detailed information so well worth checking if you haven't done so already.

Details on death certificates can vary greatly depending on what the informant knows and probably how the registrar asked for the information.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 October 12 15:05 BST (UK) »
The Youngs lived at Drumagelvin, Monaghan and the Nicholsons at New Mills, Monaghan.

The church MIGHT list their parent's names in Marriage Register but a donation to church funds would apply!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline owenzachary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 October 12 23:47 BST (UK) »
Not all passenger lists survive, certainly not for that period, and I suspect that of those that are still around not all will be easily found online. Given the location of Bureau County, Illinois (just west of Chicago) they could have arrived in the U.S. via Canada.

The most likely sources for finding their Irish roots are likely to be in U.S. records.

Have you checked for newspaper obituaries? since they were fairly prominent there's a better chance of getting a newspaper report which might mention a location in Ireland (don't forget to check for the whole family not just the parents and children born in Ireland).

Local histories often given detailed information so well worth checking if you haven't done so already.

Details on death certificates can vary greatly depending on what the informant knows and probably how the registrar asked for the information.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.

Thanks for the ideas. I figured that due to their dates of birth and marriage it could be a long shot :)

I hadn't looked too much in Canada, so I'll start digging around there.  As for US info  found everything said Monaghan, Ireland. Death records, obituaries, etc.  Elder Mary's death records in the county they lived in at the time of her death were not required, so hunting down a church in the area may be interesting. And although William B. died in Chicago, he was also buried in Peoria next to Mary.  William B. death certificate had very little as well.

I found an Illinois site where I may try and see if William B had any sort of will. Since he and some of his kids were real estate agents in Chicago as well as owning quite a bit of land there must be documentation somewhere. Who knows :-\

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Thank you!

Cindy

Offline owenzachary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 October 12 23:58 BST (UK) »

The Youngs lived at Drumagelvin, Monaghan and the Nicholsons at New Mills, Monaghan.

The church MIGHT list their parent's names in Marriage Register but a donation to church funds would apply!

Wowzers!! I noticed you are in Ireland. Are these families in your tree? I'd love to hear more if so. Did my Young and Nicholson names and dates match up with the ones you listed?

Thank you so much for the information. I'm going to go Google/Google Earth some information about the area.

Cindy

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 October 12 00:45 BST (UK) »
I have Youngs on my tree but different family.

You have correct marriage date but as to any other details that MIGHT be in the church records I wouldn't know....possibly fathers' names. 
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 October 12 01:40 BST (UK) »

An Andrew Young, son of William and Mary, was baptised in parish of Tehallan in 1829 in the northeast of the county beside the Armagh border.

The family lived at New Mills. It was a Church of Ireland baptism (anglican).

Offline owenzachary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 October 12 02:23 BST (UK) »

An Andrew Young, son of William and Mary, was baptised in parish of Tehallan in 1829 in the northeast of the county beside the Armagh border.

The family lived at New Mills. It was a Church of Ireland baptism (anglican).

That matches up for my Andrew.  When my g-g-grandfather started our family heritage books he had Armagh written and crossed out. He also had a Connly or a Connoly written then crossed out. I'm trying to Google the areas that hallmark noted, but I've been digging my lines in England for some time and am not familiar with Ireland or how the town/parishes, etc. were set up in 1800's.

Are their online sites that are Irish based that can help me learn more about the towns, history, churches of Ireland in this time frame? On my father's side we have the Youngs & Nicholsons, Sterritt's and Lyon's from Ireland and so my journey into Ireland started with the first two as I had the most information on them :)

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it!
Cindy

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 October 12 04:31 BST (UK) »

I'm not sure what resources are online, perhaps others reading this can point you in the right direction...

There is a book in the OS Memoirs series called "Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland Vol 40: South Ulster 1834-8" covering Sligo, Leitrim Cavan, Monaghan, and Louth, and the blurb says that Monaghan has the best coverage in the book.  If it's anything like the other OS series books, it'll have good background to the county.