Author Topic: Ancestry!  (Read 2080 times)

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Ancestry!
« on: Sunday 21 October 12 22:52 BST (UK) »
 Just want to warn everyone who has membership of Ancestry.co.uk

My subscription was to expire 19th Oct 2012,  I duly informed Ancestry weeks before that date that I wanted to cancel my membership , 
 but on checking my account tonight they have taken £107 and renewed it. I phoned Ancestry tonight and after waiting 20 mins I managed to talk to someone.

She assued me that she would see to the matter, and that the amount would be re imbursed in 3-5 days. To say I am furious is an understatment, and have said so.

If Ancestry is  that easy to take cash from my account so haphazardly, then I think it should change it's system.  On cancelling my membership,  I had received an email saying
   "we are sorry to lose you Dorothy", and blah, blah,  yet proceeded to take my money!
                       So watch out if any of you cancel, do check straight away!   Dolly x
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 12 12:13 BST (UK) »
How did you inform Ancestry ?   It's best to do it via their website.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 October 12 12:47 BST (UK) »
yes I agree Nick, I've just cancelled my subscription and received an email confirmation within an hour or so.  I've cancelled before in the past whenever I've exhausted their current offerings and never had a problem.

If you have internet banking, you can always go into the standing order/debit section and delete the payment record.

Saying that, my husband has a credit card which he paid off in full back in February, we've just done a check and noticed they took another set payment the following month even though the balance was £0! so the card has been in credit since February  ::) Its not a small amount either!
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 October 12 21:45 BST (UK) »
  Nick, I did go to  my Ancestry site account, where I cancelled, thats when you get the line "We are sorry to see you go etc'   I should have checked into my account on the 19th inst,
  which was when it expired, but I dident go back on line until the 21st, that when I noticed they
  hadent cancelled me, so I went straight on the phone.
    Will be checking my  bank statement tomorrrow, hopefully it will be ok.
      Just wanted to warn the Rooters to check asp.
                             my thanks, Dolly
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.