Author Topic: Hull Asiatic Cholera 1849  (Read 8182 times)

Offline Pezza69

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hull Asiatic Cholera 1849
« on: Monday 22 October 12 08:33 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,

Would anybody know where I would get the records of those that fell victim to Cholera epidemic of 1849?  I believe it possible that I lost 3 of my relatives in Sept of 1849.

Many thanks,

Perry

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hull Asiatic Cholera 1849
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 October 12 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Perry,

I can only suggest that you try the archives in Hull to see what they have on the subject. Certainly from the evidence I have just been looking at the number of persons who fell victim to the cholera just in the week 31st August to 6th September 1849 was 491 dead, 379 from cholera & 35 from diarrhoea.

The chances of him/her suffering from cholera may well have been determined on where him/her was living.

These are the totals for each district of the borough of Hull during that week.

Districts                Deaths   Cholera   Diarrhoea

Myton                215             182   12
Humber                79               64   4
St Mary's             42               29   4
East Sculcoates   56              38           6
West Sculcoates   46               31   5
Sutton w/in Boro   39                27   4
Drypool                   14                 8   0
Total                          491              379   35

Tom

Offline Pezza69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 October 12 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for your response.  My Relative lived in the Parish of Holy Trinity (Halfpenny Hatch Lane / Staniforth Place) which I believe is part of Sculcoates.

Ann Lister (nee Bevvit) died age 41 on 07/09/1849
Her son Andrew died age 5 on 09/09/49
Her newborn daughter Alice died at just 3mths old on 13/09.
We believe that the epidemic was the cause and will try the archieves in Hull to get confirmation.

Many thanks again

Regards,

Perry

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The three months of cholera in Hull stated in August 1849 and resulted in 1860 deaths, 507 in the second week of September. 700 were buried in a mass grave on Spring Bank Cemetery.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Yandina

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 05:01 GMT (UK) »
My great, great grandfather died on 2 September 1849 from Asiatic Cholera, aged 25 years.  He lived at 29 Temple Street, St Georges Road, Southwark. This was very sad because his third child was born on 2nd August.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Perry, I would suggest that it is very doubtful that there would be a list of names of those who died from this epidemic. You would need to purchase the aprropriate death certificates to discover causes of death. 

Offline mikecovell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching the numerous Cholera epidemics in Hull for some years and used the following resources for my soon to be released book:

The Hull Packet: This featured numerous stories, reports, and victim names, as well as local health updates.  It proved a very valuable tool in naming victims.

The Hull Times: Another great source of information.

The Hull Daily Mail: From 1900 to 1950 they featured numerous retrospective views on the cholera outbreak and mentioned some of the victims.

The Chief Medical Officer for Health's Annual Reports: Held at the Hull History Centre they give a year by year account of the victims, but do not name names.  I used these to cross reference cases. 

Recollections of Hull During Half a Century, James Sibree, Brown and Sons, Hull: A book that gives first hand accounts of what was happening during the Cholera epidemic.  James Sibree was present at the Hull General Cemetery (Spring Bank) and was witness to several deaths and burials.

Living and Dying – A Picture of Hull in the 19th Century, Bernard Foster: A great book with lots of information about the various outbreaks in Hull.  Again used as a cross reference tool.

A Plague on You Sir, George Patrick: Covers numerous outbreaks and diseases in Hull through the years.  Another great tool for cross referencing.

The Hull General Cemetery Registers: Held at the Hull History Centre, I was able to trace the first victim in Hull on the registers which provided a starting point for research into him and his family.  These registers are free to look at and have cause of death listed.

Offline Bub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 July 14 13:28 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all those very helpful resources, Mike  :)

Offline JohnGraves

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 October 19 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi. According to Hull General Cemetery Burial records: -

Ann Lister died 08.08.49 aged 40 from Cholera address given as 40 Lewis Place Upper Union Street
on the same day Thomas Lister died also from Cholera he was 3 years old address Upper Union Street. They have the same compartment/grave numbers (96/17651)

On the 13.09.49 Alice Lister died aged 3 months from Convulsion Fits her address was also Upper Union Street - Alice's grave/Compartment is 96/16051.

Check out The Friends of Hull General Cemetery on F/B who are a volunteer group that work in and research the cemetery. They maybe able to assist you more - No fees involved!