Author Topic: Where is Sundays Well?  (Read 11806 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Sundays Well?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 June 05 14:46 BST (UK) »
Well I just talked to the fellow at the library and he said in 1901 there was no Convent Place, Sundays Well.  There was a Convent Avenue, but no #5 and that was that.

Not sure what to do now.  It's quite frustrating being over here trying to figure out geography in another country.  My mother's family has been at the same address for over 100 years.  My sister still lives next door and my husband is the 7th generation born in his mother's house.  You have a Town or City and then a County, Province and Country.  Quite simple really.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 June 05 00:15 BST (UK) »
Convent Ave is often colloquially known as Convent Place, but not officially known as Convent Place. There are other Convent Places in Cork, at least two that I know of, one near Sundays Well.  However, it is also possible that it is a simple transcription error from the time (believe me, I have seen enough errors on Irish Death, Birth and Marriage certificates!) and that it was Convent Avenue which was the place in question, but the absence of a number five is problematic for this theory.  It is possible also that the transcription error refers to Sundays Well- a Cok person writing the certificate may easily have confused Convent Place with Convent Avenue- Cork is a small place and everyone knows everywhere.  I am just surmising, but a look at the other two Convent Places should be undertaken, I think.  I will look them up tomorrow morning on a map for exact locations and will try to scan some of the map to send to you. 

Ceallachain

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 June 05 01:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Ceallachain.

Here's a copy of the birth cert. for you to see.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 June 05 20:43 BST (UK) »
Received this message on the "rootsweb" message board today. 

"I went to the Cork County Library and found that there were directories for 1906 and 1909 but not the years in between. In 1909 there was an F. W. Howard at No. 5 Convent Avenue, Sundays Well, Cork. This was in Guys and Co. Ltd 1909 Directory. I went to the 1906 Directory and found that the street had been called City Jail Rd. in 1906. Anyway, there was an F. W. Howard listed for No. 5 so you could presume that the same person was there in 1907"

Now, I need to figure out who FW Howard is, never ending!

Karen

Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 June 05 00:12 BST (UK) »
Well, at least this is a very positive step.  F W Howard?  Again, I will ask around when I am there.  If F W Howard were there in 1911, then the census for that time would list his occupation and the others in his household.  Even getting this info, especially his occupation, would be a big help.  I can try to look up the 1911 census myself, but it woud not be until August, as I am only in Cork for a short few days at the end of July and can use that time to get to Sundays Well, take photographs, speak to a few people. Then I leave and return a week later for 8 days, which would give me much more time.  Unless someone on the board is able to look up the info sooner.  But, at least we now know that there was a No 5 at Convent Ave and hopefully still is!  Will try to scan in some parts of a map tomorrow, if I can muster the technical expertise!

Ceallachain

Offline Iseult Music

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 16 July 07 13:09 BST (UK) »
Good Lord Karen I am absolutely fascinated by your conversation with Ceallachain (Irish for Callaghan) I came across this when trying to trace my own family of O' Callaghan. Coincidentally I live in Sunday's Well! Yes Convent place exists, although who now lives at no 5 now I don't know. However, I do have something for you I hope.

There are a set of directories called Guy's Directories , which should contain the information you need. They are available at the Cork City library and the contact name there is Kieran Burke - he knows my husband well so feel free to use his name (Antoin O' Callaghan) to expedite matters, if it helps.
Tel: 00 353 21 4924 900 or e-mail: libraries@corkcity.ie

Alternatively try ringing Sunday's Well Post Office at 00 353 21 430 3854 to enquire about the address. It is actually at the gates of the Good Shepherd Convent that Ceallachain mentioned...how exciting for you!!!

Good luck,

Sandra
Sunday's Well.
O' Callaghan Dublin & Cork
Burns Lanesborough Co Longford

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 16 July 07 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen I can look up that census for you give me a few weeks to get around to it.

Also just so you know that girls baptised Ellen in Ireland were usually called Nellie.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 04:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra and Gerald,

Since this posting I have obtained pictures of the house at 5 Convent place.  Many thanks for the offer of the census Gerald, but someone was kind enough to look it up for me and send it to me.

Having said that, I still have no idea where my gr grandmother, Susan Dawkins was in 1901.  By 1911 she is married and living in Ontario, Canada.

I do have the 1901 and 1911 Census for my gr gr grandparents in TullaheenMore and she is not with them.

A lady was very kind enough to go to the house in TullaheenMore which is standing, but in ruins and take pictures for me.

Sandra, one day I hope to visit Sunday's Well myself.

Karen

Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline Maystan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 06:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen....read your enquiry about Sundays Well & a reply from Ceallachain - quote - the women would work within this convent & that a Magdalen Laundry was run there. End of quote.

Thought you may be interested in the following quote - Magdalen Asylums were institutions for so called "fallen" women, most of them operated by different orders of the Roman Catholic Church. In most ayslums the inmates were required to undertake hard physical labour such as laundry work. In Ireland such asylums were known as Magdalene Laundries. It has been estimated that 30,000 women were admitted during the 150 year history of these institutions, often against their will. The last Magdalene Asylum in Ireland closed on Sept. 25, 1996.

Can you believe that these kind of things went on until 1996!

Also if you would like to read The Magdalene Story here is the website - http://www.netreach.net/~steed/magdalen.html

Quite an interesting story & how sad!