Author Topic: Alexander Somerville  (Read 5339 times)

Offline blue000125

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Somerville
« on: Wednesday 24 October 12 11:28 BST (UK) »
 I'm trying to find out were in Scotland my Somerville family came from Alexander and Thomas Somerville where blacksmiths Alexander is the son of Thomas. Alexander Somerville married Suzanne Wright in 1855 and his first marriage was in drumcree to a Martha about 1839 does anyone know this family or were I can get info

Offline blue000125

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Somerville
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 12:25 BST (UK) »
Alexander came from Co Armagh Ireland

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 13:31 BST (UK) »
What makes you think that your Alexander Somerville came from Scotland?

I see that his marriage to Susannah Wright was on 22 February 1855 in Lurgan, County Armagh, Ireland. If you have not already seen that marriage record, I suggest that might be a good starting point.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline blue000125

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 13:48 BST (UK) »
His fathers name was Thomas Somerville blacksmith the only way is to put an add into the scotland paper and ask is there any Somerville family in Scotland Blacksmiths and put the family names in alexander and Thomas and see what crops up

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 14:13 BST (UK) »
Frankly, I think you would be wasting your money. In the unlikely event that there is someone who knows about your Alexander, what are the chances that they will notice an advert in a newspaper? And which newspaper would you put it in? You need to know which area of Scotland in order to decide where to advertise. You have a much better chance of getting to the right person (if they exist) by putting messages on genealogy sites like this one.

You must know more about Alexander - such as why you think he came from Scotland in the first place? There must be a reason why you think so?

If Alexander was married in 1839, he must have been born well before 1825, probably around 1810-15. FamilySearch https://familysearch.org/ lists just one possible candidate, born 1816 to Thomas Summerville and Joan Paton in Crawford, Lanarkshire. However just because there is only one candidate does not mean that this one is yours. There may be (an)other(s) whose baptism record(s) have not survived.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline blue000125

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 16:49 BST (UK) »
Alexander Somerville married Susanne Wright in 1855 im ordering this marriage cert.  I know they came over from Scotland in the mid 1700s time mark so i have an Alexander somerville born in 1786 and i will order this death cert if he is a Blacksmith maybe there might be other Scotland sources that might have somervilles as blacksmiths and this is teh only way to find out were in Scotland. Or give me an idea.  Alexander was born abotu 1822

Offline blue000125

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 16:50 BST (UK) »
I also came accross a death cert for his father Thomas he died in 1872 with a bit of luck i have found three of them

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 16:54 BST (UK) »
I know they came over from Scotland in the mid 1700s time mark .... Alexander was born about 1822

If Alexander was born in Ireland about 1822 to a family that had been there for 70 years or so, you need to look in the Irish records, not the Scottish ones, and I think you will have great difficulty in proving the connection.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 19:17 BST (UK) »
You need to start with the facts and work systematically back through available records before trying to search for the Scottish connection.

This seems to be your starting point- Alexander Somerville married Susannah Wright was on 22 February 1855 in Lurgan, County Armagh, Ireland.

The 1901 Irish census lists a blacksmith named Thomas Sommerville, born in Co. Armagh c1859- could this be a son of Alexander?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Shankill_Ward/Rosebank_Street/985485
1911 census- now listed as Methodist:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Ormeau/Avoneil_Street/210310
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!