Author Topic: Elisabeth Tait - where did she come from ?  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Snoopbear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elisabeth Tait - where did she come from ?
« on: Saturday 27 October 12 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am researching my GG Grandmother Elisabeth Tait.

All I know about her is that she married my GG Gfather James Johnston in 1842 (18th June) at the Toll house on Coldstream bridge (this information was found in a newspaper, I have no official certificates). Subsequent census entries give her place of birth as Scotland.  On her death cert in 1875 (2/11/1875) her age is given as 56 which would place her birth around 1819.  I have searched Scotlands People and come up with some possibilities.

B 1816 Hawick, Roxburgh parents William and Elizabeth
b 1817 Peebles, parents John and Mary
b 1818 Manor Peebles parents James and Marion.

I have listed those as most likely because of location ie closeness to the border.  Given that her children were called Richard, Jane, William, Luke, Isabella, Margaret, James and George (my GGfather), (her husbands parents were Richard and Isabella) I have concluded that the first Miss Tait born in Hawick is most likely, although there is a discrepancy in age which could be down to vanity  ;D.  Can anyone help me verify this information as I feel I am clutching at straws and would welcome suggestions as to how to establish her exact identity.
thanks for reading

Eddie
ps after their marriage they lived and worked in Northumberland around the Glendale and Wooler areas

Leask, Linay, Flett, Spence - Orkney
Feeney - Glasgow and Ireland
O'Donnell, Devlin, Campbell - All Ireland
Flacharty - Glasgow/Ireland
Sangster - Aberdeen
Johnston and Bruce - Northumberland In or around Wooler
Cameron, Campbell and Livingstone - Argyll
Gray, Gardiner - Glasgow

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Elisabeth Tait - where did she come from ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 November 12 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eddie,

If you have followed James and Elisabeth through the census, did you check their neighbours for relatives living nearby and did they have any visitors.  Where was James from and have you found him in 1841. I think Elisabeth's parents are most likely to be William and Jane so none of the ones you found look likely. As they did use the naming patterns the first born girl would be after Elisabeth's mother most likely.
 She could have been born in Scotland but christened in England so her baptism will show up in England. Also her family could have already been in Northumberland in 1841. There are a couple of William and Jane Taits in the Alnwick area so you could follow them thro the census trying to pick up a Scottish connection.  Also Luke is quite a distinctive name but perhaps you know that is from the Johnston side?

Not an easy task though, good luck.

Barbara

Offline Snoopbear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 November 12 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Barbara,

Yes I have found I believe both parties in the 1841 census

James (Jas) Johnstone (25) is in Wooler, Glendale with Isabella 60 (his mother)(also born in Scotland)(thats another line of enquiry Im stuck with LOL)

Elizabeth is found in Middleton with relatives Mary Tait 55 born England, ?? Tait F 30 also born England and herself Elizabeth aged 20 born in Scotland.  I believe Mary and the other female to be relatives eg Aunt and cousin although it is possible it is her mother and a sister.

The marriage of James and Elizabeth was found in a newspaper article and not in any other official records

I will try the possibility that she was born in Scotland and perhaps christened in England, thanks again for the input

kind regards
Eddie

ps  Luke is a name that appears occasionally in the Johnston side as you thought :)
Sangster - Aberdeen
Gray, Gardiner - Glasgow

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 November 12 10:28 GMT (UK) »
The same Mary is at the same place unmarried and housekeeper in 1851.  Born Cornhill. No sign of Seleda or Leleda or as FindMyPast has it Pendra.
You could use Family search and look at the cornhill registers on there, see if you can pick up who Mary is.

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 November 12 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I know you say Elisabeth was born in Scotland but could it be like my family of Taits hopping back and forward over the Border for work. It may be that Elisabeth was born while they were on the Scottish side. I know I have family where some where born in England and some in Scotland due to the proximity of the Border in that area........also had to check both sides of the Borders census's to find them.

The Toll house where they married is on the Scottish side of the bridge but half way over the bridge you are into Northumberland England (marked on the bridge) which is then about 2 minutes from Cornhill which you mention. This marriage I guess would be treated as an irregular marriage in the Scottish Church.

I wouldn't think either the Hawick, Roxburghshire one or the 2 Peeblesshire ones would be her. The family appear to have been about the Berwickshire/Northumberland area. Hawick and Peebles are the other side of the Scottish Borders.

Don't know if this helps or not.

Terry

My Taits were Kirknewton Northumberland Nr Wooler/Yetholm Roxburghshire again right on the Border.
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Snoopbear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 November 12 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Barbara and Terry for your greatly appreciated input, I will be following up those lines of enquiry very shortly, hopefully something will eventually surface (it usually does)

thanks again

Eddie
Sangster - Aberdeen
Gray, Gardiner - Glasgow

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 November 12 17:00 GMT (UK) »
There was a family of Taits who were Gypsies, and three of them maried Blythes, which family lived at one time in all of the communities mentioned above, including Wooler, Northumberland. I have an Agnes, Rachael, and a Helen in my records but, unfortunately, no Elisabeth. Not much help, but you never know!

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk