Author Topic: Definition Update for Windows Defender causing problems?  (Read 6033 times)

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Definition Update for Windows Defender causing problems?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 October 12 14:31 GMT (UK) »
We had problems with Firefox this morning. Had to turn PC off and reboot which then updated Firefox and, touch wood, seems to be OK now, so perhaps They had problems and have mow got them sorted
Jo
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 October 12 18:46 GMT (UK) »
I don't use Windows defender but use Firefox, along with AVG, bought version, and Virgin media cable broadband. I am having trouble with performing backups, Windows backup has just completely given up, I also have Western Digital which supposedly does a continuous backup but now can't access it to prove it is happening. I wonder if there is a conflict here? Also using Windows 7.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp† Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 October 12 14:07 GMT (UK) »
I'm a bit loathe to update Firefox again, I've got rid of Windows defender (well disabled it) and everything seems to be OK so far today - apart from when the builders kept turning the electricity off when taking out the kitchen.  They said that as they're not "sparkies" they weren't happy just turning off the relevent switch on the fuse box, so kept turning everything off!

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 October 12 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Firefox ver 16.0.2 is the current version and not causing any problems here.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 October 12 19:19 GMT (UK) »
I'm using Firefox ver 16.0.1 and it is when I download ver 16.0.2 that I seem to have the problem.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 October 12 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Something I was wondering about since you stated problems with firefox, what differences are there between 16.0.1 and 16.0.2?
Anybody care to comment on this?
 Brian

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 07:35 GMT (UK) »
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You canít give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie, subject to others reading this, why not uninstall firefox ver 16.0.1 then download the latest version (16.0.2).
Maybe there is something in your current version that computer doesn't  like.
 Brian

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Firefox 16.0.2 downloaded even though I'd refused the request.† According to posts on Mozilla Firefox, when there is an update, Mozilla automatically downloads it to your computer but leaves it in the background, if you've asked to be notified about updates.† Even if you refuse the update, unless you remember to keep refusing it every day, after 24 hours of the update being in the background it will automatically update.

This was on a message board over a year ago and later messages say that Mozilla made the change in June.

Mozilla is changing the way Firefox handles updates. Mozilla has announced it will take yet another page from Google Chromeís playbook and move automatic updates to the background where they will happen silently, without the need for user input. Of course that also means Firefox updates will happen without user consent, something Mozilla avoided in the past.

So you can refuse a request for an update, but after 24 hours it updates anyway.