Author Topic: SIT: Surname Interests Table  (Read 135791 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SIT: Surname Interests Table
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 18:51 GMT (UK) »
After noticing that some people were interpreting "One Name Study" as "One PERSON Study", rather than the usual definition of "One SURname Study", I've changed the description for ONS and OPS.

• "One Name Study (ALL with this SURNAME)"
  • "One Place Study (ALL from this PLACE)"

Hopefully this will be clear enough to everybody now  ;D

I've also removed a small bug, that entered a Zero when an ONS or OPS was deleted.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 01 November 12 20:47 GMT (UK) »
The soundex procedure is sometimes throwing up too many "way-out" results,
so I've changed it to a more precise method using the Metaphone algorithm.

However ....  whatever I do will please some people and annoy others  ;D
so ... if you look in the advanced search, you will see I've allowed everybody
to make their very own personal choice - you can choose there whether you want an exact name, or to search by metaphone or by soundex  algorithms ;D

I'll get round to updating the Help-pages soon, but for now, I've added a screen shot below.

regards,
Bob

ps. for those interested (probably a small minority of -1  ::) )

Soundex keys have the property that words pronounced similarly produce the same soundex key, and can thus be used to simplify searches in databases where you know the pronunciation but not the spelling. This soundex function returns a string 4 characters long, starting with a letter.

This particular soundex function is one described by Donald Knuth in "The Art Of Computer Programming, vol. 3: Sorting And Searching", Addison-Wesley (1973), pp. 391-392.

and:

Similar to soundex() metaphone creates the same key for similar sounding words. It's more accurate than soundex() as it knows the basic rules of English pronunciation. The metaphone generated keys are of variable length.

Metaphone was developed by Lawrence Philips <lphilips at verity dot com>. It is described in ["Practical Algorithms for Programmers", Binstock & Rex, Addison Wesley, 1995].
from: http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.metaphone.php
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 04 November 12 16:03 GMT (UK) »
I've now update the help page.
It still needs working on, so that will come, bit by bit ..., but I need your input too.

- what is missing, what still needs to be described in the help-page ??
- is what I've written understandable ??

regards,
Bob

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 17 November 12 10:55 GMT (UK) »
More Help-page updates,
Add: http://surname.rootschat.com/sit-help.php?show=ar#ar
Edit: http://surname.rootschat.com/sit-help.php?show=er#er

Please think about it carefully, before adding ONS to your surname interests. 
Too many users are still confusing a One Name Study (EVERYBODY wth this surname) with a One PERSON Study.

A "One Name Study" about
"SMITH, Comments: George Arthur, born 1865, married Emily Jones"
just doesn't sound plausible  ::) :o ;D

Perhaps a short note in the Comments section, to clarify that this really is an ONS  ??

Bob

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 01 December 12 09:11 GMT (UK) »
The "soundex" and "metaphone" searches are throwing up too many hits,
so I've removed them from the Quick Search.

But they are still in the Advanced Search, where it is your choice, whether you use them or not.

Bob

Offline evilhenry

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 11 June 18 14:35 BST (UK) »
henry

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 11 June 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
henry

Hello, welcome to RootsChat.
I assume you want to add the surname Henry to the Surname Interests Table.
You need to go to the Surnames Interests Table and follow instructions there to include surnames in the list. You will probably find the surname Henry already on the list with user-names of people on RootsChat researching the name.
This thread was started by the SIT moderator and is a guide to it. It's not the place to add surnames.

If you need help about  member(s) of your Henry family you can post a specific enquiry in the Forum.
Read the "Help" section for guidelines on how to make best use of RootsChat. It's a big site and can be confusing to newcomers.
Hope this helps. If you get stuck, ask for advice.  :)
Cowban

Offline Catherine Anderson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 13 January 19 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have no idea how to add a my interest in SIT: Surname interests table or where to add a message, must be the long haul from NZ to UK.

I have added stuff quite a while ago, so long I cant remember my user name and I have a new email
Where am I going wrong

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 13 January 19 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Catherine, welcome back.
Did you put names on the Surnames Interest list when you used RootsChat before or can you not remember?  Click on Surnames Interest on the brown section at foot of this page. When you get there do a search for some of your surnames and see if anything which comes up jogs your memory. Each entry has a user-name beside it. If you don't recognise any as yours you can start putting your surnames on.
I've just looked at Surnames Interest. It says there's housekeeping going on. This is the time of day/night that maintenance occurs. It's sometimes difficult to post during those hours. Try again around dawn in UK.
You can also go to the search page for the Forum. Click on "Search" on brown strip at top of this page. Put a name in the search box and see if you recognise any topics which appear. Warning; if it's a common name the list of topics might be pages long. On the other hand, if it's an uncommon name with few posts and you reply, you may find you're trying to have a conversation with your former self. 
You could also post in the Common Room section of the Forum saying that you are back after a long absence with a new user-name, say you're finding you're way around again and mention some of your surnames and places. Someone may recognise them and point you in the right direction.
Hope this helps.
P.S. You could try the chatroom. Click on chat  at top of page. There are 7 people at the moment. I'm not sure about entry rules. I've only been in once.
Cowban