Author Topic: What's on a Barbadian Death Certificate?  (Read 4805 times)

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
What's on a Barbadian Death Certificate?
« on: Sunday 28 October 12 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Reposting this message in its appropriate place...

has anyone ever obtained a Barbadian death cert? if so, I'd really appreciate a rundown of what details are included.

I currently have 3 known death and/or burial dates, and would like to know how valuable the information will be (i.e. marital status, name of informant, birthplace/date), which may help provide further information before seeking birth certificates (though we do have birthdates for two of them and an approximate year based on death age for the third, they may not have been born with the same name if the women married or if their parents married after their births).

I also have a bit of a problem with obtaining certificates in advance of our next planned visit in 3 years. The site does explain that postal applications can be made including a money order and self stammed addressed envelope - but this seems to assume that the applicant is in Barbados and has access to Barbadian postage stamps!!

Bajan certificates are very cheap, but very difficult to get hold of outside of Barbados (we have obtained one whilst there and it was a really straightfoward, cheap and speedy process)

Hoping someone can offer some help
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Clausen; Denmark, Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Marshall, Rimmer, Howard, Johnson, Jackson; Southport
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Small; Barbados, Liverpool
Murray; West Indies, Liverpool
Williams; Africa, Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What's on a Barbadian Death Certificate?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 October 12 23:39 GMT (UK) »
familysearch.org has a collection of Barbados records but not 20th Century. No civil records but looking at a marriage certificate transcript for John Smith the information seems to patterned on the English/Welsh Certificates. See examples below:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F2S1-JGF

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 October 12 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The London LDS at the National Archives has a large number of parochial records films from Barbados in stock:

http://www.londonfhc.org/content/catalogue?c=31&p=Caribbean,Barbados&f=1

If you can identify any of the records you need with the film numbers, I can look them up for you next time I'm at the NA and take photos if you'd like.

As barryd has said, they are pre-20th century (there are a few exceptions up to 1912/14).

Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 October 12 10:42 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate the offer, but I'm looking a little later at the moment.
Many of those earlier records are on familysearch.org - our current problem is bridging the gap between the known family (eldest of whom was born 1897) and the larger body of online resources that stop around 20 years before her birth.

We have looked for Viola Small (1897-1988) & Brandford Rollins (1914-1996) in the Barbados Archives' baptism index - we couldn't single out Viola from a few of that name - for Brandford, we could find one name vaguely similar, but not close enough to be sure it was him. However, we do have exact birthdates for them from the burial details still held by the Barbadian family.

We also have Viola's daughter, Enid (1915-1936), but only an estimated birth year from her age at death. We know she had/has a sister named Doreen who, if still alive, is not in a position to provide us with information.

From the Westbury burial records (online) we can glean a certain amount, and make a few educated guesses about other people of these surnames living in Dayrell's Rd/King's Village area - all/most of whom are probably related, but we have reached a bit of a brick wall at present.

Barbadian people tend not to be all that interested in heritage & genealogy - their interest always leans towards the living.

I really want certificates for the events I KNOW took place - and at present, deaths are the only things I can be that sure of.

Though marriage wasn't/isn't particularly common - it did happen, so despite a birthdate, there seems little point in me ordering a birth certificate for Viola Small when she may not have been named this at birth.

Equally, without birth records, I am aware that any one of them could have been born with a different name to the one they were later known by because children's names were often changed to the father's if the parents married after the birth of any children.

I would just love to know how much information is held on death certificates, so I know whether they will contain enough information that I don't currently hold to be worth the hassle of trying to organise an SAE from a country whose stamps I don't have ready access to!
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 October 12 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Ok, I see the problem  ;D

Regarding postage, would a call to the embassy help?  Can you get international post stamps?  Or a larger money order to include postage?

Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 October 12 12:11 GMT (UK) »
From the website, they don't seem to permit payment to cover postage, they want an SAE. If only they'd set up an online ordering & payment facility that included postage costs to other countries, I'd be set (and the certificates are really cheap from Barbados, so I'd be more than happy to order plenty and cover the postage charge).

Seems odd that they haven't embraced the virtual ordering possibilities, considering how dispersed people of W.I. origin are and how important the heritage often is to dispersed people.
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 October 12 12:35 GMT (UK) »
I've emailed the Registrar for some assistance.

Still hoping that someone out there has seen a death certificate and can let me know what they contain (1936, 1987 & 1996)
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 October 12 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Just a suppliment to what I stated earlier about Viola's possible marriage - scratch that - her neice (by her unnamed sister) was also named Small, so we know she kept her childhhod name - though this is not necessarily the name she was born with if her parents married after her birth.
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 00:43 GMT (UK) »
An update on communications with the registrar's office (which, to be fair, has been prompt). The initial response was that I should affix stamps of my location. I queried this, as I couldn't believe the BB postal service would deliver a letter not paid for with Bajan stamps (even if our shared monarch's noggin is on them). Their reply acknowledged the mistake and said that I could include sufficient payment for them to pay for the postage.

Now I have the problem of finding out where I get a money order to pay for this. I have emailed again asking if it's possible to include cash, but I suspect this isn't an option, as many government departments refuse cash to avoid theft.

This is a pity, as the actual order, including postage costs, is only £6.22 - but a money order (if I can find a bank to sell me one) will probably cost around £25 in admin charges.

It's such a pity they don't have an online ordering/payment system - so many people wanting certificates must be outside Barbados (small country, large dispersed international descendant population).

I will get there eventually, and hopefully sharing the experience will speed up the process for anyone else in the future
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool