Author Topic: Joseph Hardy - Birth - Winster - Completed  (Read 3954 times)

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Hardy - Birth - Winster - Completed
« on: Tuesday 30 October 12 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The Family Search site has a reference to the birth of Joseph Hardy on 12th January 1845 giving the name of his mother as Sarah but with no Father named. Would someone be able to look at the Winster records to see if this is correct please? Thanks

Andy
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Hardy - Birth - Winster
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 18:02 GMT (UK) »
on the 1851 census he is with parents robert hardy/sarah
there is a marriage in 1843 in bakewell reg dist(which is the right dist for winster) of a robert hardy and on the same page amongst others is a sarah wagstaff
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks but I think they are two different Josephs. The Family Search site records the one you mention as being christened 25 Aug 1844 parents Robert & Sarah. This is in addition to the record I previously refered to.
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 18:42 GMT (UK) »
i can only see 1 birth of a joseph hardy in bakewell reg dist between 1844-1845 and that is 3rd qtr 1844
although this birth is down twice due to a mistranscription on the page number
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 18:50 GMT (UK) »
p.s. the date of 12/1/1845. is a baptism date not a birth. so he could have been born anytime prior to that and not been born neccesarily in winster or even derbyshire
so as you say in your original post you really need to see what the parish registers say
mick
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps I should explain what I have found out so far.
The 1851 Census for Chesterfield has a household consisting of William Wilson (34) born Brampton, wife Ann Wilson (34) born Winster and Joseph Hardey (Hardy) (6) born Winster 'Nephew'. It seemed likely that Ann Wilson was Ann Hardy before she married and sure enough there is a marriage recorded between Ann Hardy bap 1816 and William Wilson from Brampton in April 1836 in Winster.
Joseph is still living with his aunt and uncle in the 1861 census (William and Ann didn't have any children of their own).
The work that Dawn Scotting has done and recorded on RootsWeb with the Winster Parish Records reveals that Ann Hardy was the daugher of Joseph & Sarah Hardy. This couple had two sons (Robert & Joseph) and two other daughters Hannah and Sarah.
Logically it seemed reasonable that the Joseph Hardy born in abt 1845 living in the Wilson household must be the son of one of Ann's brothers, Robert or Joseph.
Both Robert and Joseph had sons named Joseph, Christened in 1844 and 1841 respectively. Neither of these Joseph's can be the one I'm interested in because both of them were living with the parents as recorded in the 1851 and 1861 Census returns for Winster.
So that leaves the possibility that my Joseph Hardy may have been born illegitimately to one of Ann's sisters. There is no additional recorded Joseph Hardy birth in the records that Dawn Scotting has transcribed but there is a baptism recorded by the FamilySearch.org for a Joseph Hardy in Winster in January 1845 where just his mother's name is recorded which is Sarah. There doesn't appear to be any record of Ann's sister Sarah getting married or her whereabouts in the Census returns for 1851 and 1861. So what I would like to establish is whether or not my Joseph's mother is Ann's sister Sarah and if indeed there was no father recorded on the original baptism record for Winster.
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 November 12 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Suggest that entry for Christening of Joseph Hardy is correct as same entry appears on IGI.

So it looks as if he is illegitimate son of Sarah Hardy born 19th December 1821 Christened 23rd December 1821
dau of Joseph & Sarah Hardy.

Cannot find Sarah in Census, however there is a possible entry for 1841 Census at Wirksworth Derby

Sarah Hardy 15 Dress Maker born Derbys living with
Sarah Rosewarn 15 Bonnet Maker

1841 Census taken June 1841 so Sarah Hardy would have been 19, in this census ages were rounded down
hence entry of age 15.

In later census Sarah Rosewarn is still in wirksworth living with her father etc., but no sign of Sarah Hardy.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 November 12 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Spendlove. I've emailed Dawn Scotting in NZ and she also agrees that it is a likely scenario.
Cowlishaw Derbyshire