Author Topic: Did Isaac die from foul play?  (Read 1145 times)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Did Isaac die from foul play?
« on: Wednesday 31 October 12 02:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi, in my research of John Tunnicliffe, my 3x Great grandfather (born abt 1825 in Staffordshire), I came across the possible death certificate of his brother Isaac (born abt 1827 same). John came to Australia sometime between 1854 - 1856, married in Bendigo & settled there until his death, Isaac possibly the Isaac who arrived in Aug 1855 aboard the John Elder. So whilst trolling the Victorian BMD online I found a death cert for an Isaac Tunnicliff, age about 30, parents & place of birth unknown, "supposed to be a joiner" "Drowned in the Yarra, Certified at an inquest 26th March, 1856".

All well and good - I penciled this death in a possibility for  G Uncle Issac. Then browsing through TROVE searching "Tunnicliff" I came across the attached notice.  Now I am just curious as to what this could be about?? Note that Good Friday in 1856 fell on March 23rd - two days before Isaac's inquest.

Any thoughts, suggestions, avenues of discovery or input is greatly received, Jo  ???  ???  ???
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A bit of a mystery - suggestions/scenarios welcome
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,

I think that the body was found on March 26th, but not identified immediately. The inquest took place before the body was identified.

The notices in the papers went out in late April after Isaac had gone missing. He must have been last seen alive on Good Friday (23rd March).

It was then determined at some later date that the body was of Isaac, so the certificate was modified ("Unknown" was crossed out and his name and other details were written in).

Alexander

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: A bit of a mystery - suggestions/scenarios welcome
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alexander, that makes sense. I wonder how he was identified and if he died on Good Friday? I should note that the article querying his whereabouts was on the 23rd April 1856 (in The Argus) and ran for about a week. Searching the Argus on the 24 March 1856 I found the following and wondered if there could be a connection?

Jo  :-\
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.