Author Topic: William Walker of Carnew.  (Read 12437 times)

Offline Quicksy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Walker of Carnew.
« on: Wednesday 31 October 12 13:00 GMT (UK) »
 My GGG grandparents were Joseph and Jane Walker, nee Condell.   They were Protestants, and married in the Rathdrum Church, Co Wicklow  in 1837.  The marriage records  give the grooms father's name as William  of  Carnew, and  the brides  father was Jacob  .   Unfortunately the mother's names were not  given  in those days.
I have found several  references to  Walkers with links to the All Saints Church in  Carnew, and indeed,     a William Walker  who was  one of the Church wardens   and  is mentioned in some of the vestry notes  around 1815 -1820 era.   I believe that of all the William Walkers that I have come across in Wicklow Co, ( and it was a very common name , generation after generation)   that this  one is the most likely one.  How on earth do I find out for sure ?  I  have no idea what Joseph's mother's   name was,  nor do I know if  he had any  siblings  .   Joseph was born  'about 1805.'  according to information passed down by his son - yet another William Walker ! 
I would love for someone more experienced than I  am , to please advise me   where I might find the  facts needed to get around this big block wall I  seem to have hit against.   Thanking you in anticipation. 

Walker Northhamptonshire, Wicks Berkshire,  Franklin  Ireland, Walker Ireland
Gleeson Ireland  DeRenzy Ireland.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: William Walker of Carnew.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Dont think there's any easy way to separate out the various Walker families, other than to try ploughing through the records and working out the details of the various families.

Unfortunately CofI baptisms dont usually include mother's maiden name so might make telling them apart a little difficult.

Church of Ireland records for Rathdrum parish go back to the early 1700s, and those for Carnew go back to 1808.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Quicksy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shane. Your  reply re Carnew records   not going any further back than 1808  will be the answer as to why  I  have been unable to obtain a birth or baptism  record for Joseph whose   birth yr of  1805 has come to me through family lore.    Also, it would mean that his father, William of Carnew's marriage record would   also be  out of the timeline  of existing  records.  Though not fruitful, your reply has been very helpful, and I appreciate it. Thank you.
The block wall seems  just that more impenetrable .  The only hope now that I can see of  making a chink in it, would be if  Joseph had other sibling born after  1808.   I have no idea  where Joseph  fitted into  his family, if there were others, or how many there were.  I do have a copy of his wife Jane Condell's baptism  certificate in 1815, and luckily both her parent's names are  on it.   On that same page there is  a baptism certificate for  a John Walker,   with father William and mother  - it looks like Margt.  ( short for Margaret perhaps)  and the surname unfortunately is  T ... .kin possibly. 
Tomkins, Turpin  even.  This is from a very faint photocopy of a page 42 in some records collected by another  relative some time ago.  I think that there is a strong possibility that   this John could be a younger  sibling of  my Joseph.  It was  very  unusual to have the name of both parent's recorded  I know.  What a pity   the  ink  was so faded  !!   
Maybe there is someone out there who  might recognize these names,  and be able to   knock another block out of the wall.  :)

Offline Texas Ranger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 December 12 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Quicksy i may be able to help you with some information i am researching the family tree and since you were looking for some information about Willie Walker from Carnew ,you are connected to my linage of the Family and i see you also have the correct coat of arms 3 stags heads that goes with it.
Our Branch of the family can be traced to Greasbrough South Yorkshire England to John Walker Born 10th May 1691 on the Wenthworth Estate.
John came to Ireland to Carnew Co Wicklow in 1713 at the age of 22 with his wife and two children and worked on the Shillelagh Estate and were members of the Church Of Ireland.

Offline Texas Ranger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 December 12 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Quicksy have you seen the programme "Who do you think you are " about Graham Norton the Comedian his real name is Graham William Walker and his fathers name is Billy Walker ,Grahams father was  from Carnew and the 2 ndpartof the programme is about Tracing his roots in Carnew, like you i am trying to make the connection to my ggg Grandfather and i have a feeling we have the same one   

Offline Quicksy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 December 12 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Texas Ranger!  I am very pleased to  receive your response .  And yes,  I  had  heard of the Graham Norton WDYTYA  programme actually while visiting Ireland  last year.  There is no doubt in my mind that  this is  the same Walker family.  Certainly in my family, the lore was that  there were very strong ties to the protestant All Saints Church of  Carnew.    Like yourself though,   I am  still  trying to  make the correct  connections  to my  ggg   grandfather William of Carnew    Maybe  two heads will be better than one   on this !   My G grandfather was also a William . He left Ireland to come to NZ in 1860 . I know that some of his siblings  went to Canada and I think  that I have most of their names, but am unsure if there were others who may have gone elsewhere, or  who remained in Ireland .
As  to the  coat of arms  Texas Ranger,   I am  afraid I cannot take credit  for   getting  that right.  It must have been put  against my name, by the site administration.   :) I am  not that clever !!  It  just appeared there as if by miracle.   Now I have to go figure how I can PM you my email so we can   get  our heads together on this   in earnest .   I am  in New Zealand , and do I  assume that with your name, you  could be in the USA ? 
Thank you for your time Texas Ranger.

Offline Texas Ranger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 December 12 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Quicksy
                will you message me as i am new to the site as you can see,   i can trace our Ancesters back to the year 911 and have a photo and where our ancesters came from etc and if you live in New Zealand we have a relative there in the form of John Walker the great mile runner in the 1970s i think it was

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 December 12 20:39 GMT (UK) »
.... Now I have to go figure how I can PM you my email so we can   get  our heads together on this   in earnest .   I am  in New Zealand , and do I  assume that with your name, you  could be in the USA ? 

to use the Personal message system, just click on the little scroll () beneath a persons name and details - see :

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Quicksy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 December 12 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shane.. you are so on the ball !   All by myself , I had  actually just  figured it.   Not bad for an oldy- I am quite chuffed   ;D   Appreciate your help  though.  This site is brilliant.