Author Topic: Capt. John Franklin b 1745 Limerick  (Read 11899 times)

Offline Quicksy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Capt. John Franklin b 1745 Limerick
« on: Thursday 01 November 12 02:13 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor Capt John Franklin married Anna Krause in St Croix , Virgin Islands. Presumably  this was during the time  his   97th regiment  of foot  was based there.    John and Anna's  three known  offspring were  Richard Augustus Meier,   Peter Heiliger  and Jane Anne (or Ann)  Franklin.  They    were born between 1813 & 1815.      I have been unable to establish all of their birthplaces  except perhaps Peter's  which we believe was in Limerick.    I have been unable to ascertain, but I would like to know   know  where  Jane Ann was born, and where  and when  their mother Anna died.    She was considerably younger than   John Franklin   I believe.   He died  at Green Hills, near Lemonfield, County Limerick  in February 1833.
 The Franklin's were protestants.  Could anyone tell me what parish or church  they would likely to have come under please?   I do know that  Jane  was married  for the second time in 1839 at Limerick Cathedral.
I would   love to hear from anyone  who may have any information on  this Franklin family, and be very grateful  too.    Thank you. 

Walker Northhamptonshire, Wicks Berkshire,  Franklin  Ireland, Walker Ireland
Gleeson Ireland  DeRenzy Ireland.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Capt. John Franklin b 1745 Limerick
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 November 12 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Greenhills and Lemonfield are adjacent townlands in Co. Limerick, and located about 9km by road east of the town of Patrickswell. The civil parish for this part of Co. Limerick is Knocknagaul. Civil parishes generally equate to Church of Ireland parishes.

You can see Greenfield house and the townland on this c1837 OSI map : Greenfield House
The townland of Lemonfield is immediately north of this view.

Some details of the parish are included in Lewis 1837 - Knocknegaul

I have not been able to find any mention of records for this Church of Ireland parish under this name, but there's a mention of the Lewis entry of the parish being '..part of the union of Nantinan..'. There are some records listed for this union, but probably starting a little too late to be of interest. i.e.  baptisms from 1877, marriages from 1845 (which would be included in civil records), and death/burials from 1878.

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 November 12 08:57 GMT (UK) »
He lived at a house called Bettyville in the 1820's.

http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie:8080/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=2244

Fitzgerald lists it as being in the parish of Crecoragh http://www.rootschat.com/links/0s0d/
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Quicksy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 November 12 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both Shaun & Shane for these  items   of interest.    Now knowing that he was residing in the house Bettyville in the 1820's is very helpful as      I have been trying to track his movements after his marriage in St Croix. Appreciate your input.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 November 12 10:56 GMT (UK) »
I know the death announcements say that he was in the 95th but I can only see him as a Captain in the 96th. He was promoted to the rank in 1808 (it's in the Gazette http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/16206/pages/1643 ) and was still with that regiment as a Captain in the 1814 army list. I will check later lists

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 November 12 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Still with 96th in 1816.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 November 12 11:41 GMT (UK) »
"When in 1803 the 52nd Regiment became Light Infantry its second battalion was taken from it and numbered the 96th Regiment of Foot. Before the year was out a second battalion had been raised to the new 96th.

The 1st Battalion 96th Regiment served for a year in Ireland and was then sent to the West Indies. The General Order Book of the Headquarters Windward and Leeward Islands covering the years 1811 to June 1813 was found a number of years ago in the Jamaica Garrison Library. It contains an outline of the conditions of service at that time. ...........

The battalion was returned to England in 1816 and was stationed in Ireland until disbanded in December 1818.
"

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/museumsgalleries/mom/history/96th

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 November 12 11:44 GMT (UK) »
1st battalion of the 96th arrived in St Croix in June 1808

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/museumsgalleries/mom/lotm/james

Offline Quicksy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 November 12 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shaun. Clearly you have been  nery busy while I have been sleeping  down-under !
So , it is possible then  that the two  Franklin boys  may   have been born in the West Indies in spite of  being unable to  turn up any evidence of that.   Mind you, nor have I been able to find any birthplace for any of them in Ireland either.  Perhaps England  would be the next logical place try for Jane Ann  at least.
The control of St Croix passed back to Denmark in 1815, so it seems likely that the Franklins would have returned to Ireland by or  even before 1815. That was the year  daughter Jane Ann was  born.

John Franklin's marriage to Anna Krause took place in St Croix  om 3rd  January 1809.  He  must have had some charm...she was a mere 23 year old,  and he  64!!!   Charming  and virile it  seems..
I am now even  beginning to   wonder if there could possibly have been two generations of  John Franklins in the Anglo /Irish Army.  According to information I have  he was Lt. Franklin at the time of his marriage.
Have a good day Shaun.