Author Topic: Capt. John Franklin b 1745 Limerick  (Read 11895 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Capt. John Franklin b 1745 Limerick
« Reply #36 on: Friday 20 September 19 23:30 BST (UK) »

Peter Highleiger Franklin
Birthdate:    1813
Birthplace:    Limerick, County Limerick, Ireland
Death:    June 04, 1859 (46)
Immediate Family:    

Son of Cap. John Franklin and Ana Franklin
Brother of Richard Augustus Meier Franklin and Jane Anne Cashel

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline NZJane.T

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 21 September 19 00:12 BST (UK) »
I am not looking for anyone in particular. I’m just learning more about the family .

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 22 September 19 08:15 BST (UK) »

Something might be useful to Quicksy who started this thread.

Offline Quicksy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 02:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who have  taken  an interest   this  post  regarding  one of my ancestors  Capt John Franklin  my GGG grandfather  .  As far as i can ascertain,  almost immediately after he   married Ana  Krause   on 3rd  January 1809 ,  in St Croix  where his regiment    had been  stationed ,  they  returned to  Ireland .  I have knowledge  of 3 children  born  to    Capt. John  and his wife Ana  (Anna)   and  a notice   of the  first   born  was  published    thus  -
1809.  The lady of John Franklin 96th Regiment , a son and Heir  at  Ballyvolane 25 October 1809.
This   would have  been NZ Jane T's line.   Richard  Augustus  Meier   Franklin.   ( Meier was a family name from the  Krause  side of the  family)  In trying to establish Capt. John Franklin's   parentage ,  I    found  a newspaper clip  going back to   1806   which  announced  the  wedding of   Margaret , 4th daughter  of  the  LATE Richard   Franklin  of  Ballyvolane ,  to  Samuel  Adams .
So, could  the Late  Richard  have been an older  brother , or   father  even of  Capt John ?  I have thought for some time  that   it  was  highly likely that Capt. John  could have  had  both  a  father  and a  brother  called   Richard .  So far I  have not  been able to  establish either of  those as   facts. Given that  the  old Irish naming custom  in those days  was  to name  first born sons  for   the father's   father .  I thought it likely  that John's  father was  a Richard .
  Also  in  July of 1809,  a notice in the Ennis Chronicle  announced the  marriage  of an  Eliza Franklin to  James  Bevan  of Milltown Uregar.  She was  stated  to be  the  daughter of  Richard  Franklin  of  Ballyvollane .   And  this  later   announcement  did  not    us the  "Late "  Richard  as the  earlier one had done. So , had a more senior Richard  died between  1806  and before 1809 ??
later , 1811  yet another  marriage  described  a "Miss " Franklin as  d/o  Richard   of  Ballyvolane  (not late)   married to  James   Bennett  of   Bruff.   

I  did a bit of research into  Ballyvolane .
There is a Ballyvolane House  in Cork , and on the  road to  Ballyvolane .
I found a reference to  Ballyvolane Castlelions , Fermoy  80  miles  from Limerick,  and  perhaps the most likely one  , Ballyvolane   Annacotty, is  in Co Limerick  and  just 10 miles  from  the city of Limerick.
Getting  back to  Richard  Augustus  Meier  (Meyer)  Franklin .    He married  first  Margaret Bennett  d/o Theophilus  Bennett ,    and   his  second marriage was to   Isabella Bennett .   Richard  and Isabella  both died in NZ  after  arriving   at Auckland on the vessel  Queen of Beauty  in August  1863   just after their marriage also in 1863.  Richard and Margaret's  first born   was also  Richard went to Connecticut in 1860  and  the other  children  all came to New Zealand and they settled first in Onehunga , South Auckland.
John and Ana's  second child was Peter Heileger  Franklin  (  there are several  spellings of Heyliger   name  , from Ana's  family } .  Peter  is  my line , and  he  married  Ann Minchin  of "Rathclough" Cashel  in 1828.   He died on 4th june, 1859, Greenhills, Limerick  Ireland .  His  widow  Ann and  her  3 eldest daughters  arrived in  Auckland NZ on the "Ernestina"   in 1865.

Jane Ann Franklin, the youngest  child  of   Captain John  ( that we know of )  was born  ?    ?  in 1813.     She  first married  Richard  Sherlock  who was also  a Military man .  In 1840 she  married a second time to  George Cashel  at Limerick Cathedral.    They  had  lived  in Roselands Cottage  in Listowel  They   had  at least 8  children   Jane Anne died  on 10th  November  1878   and  was buried in Thames , New  Zealand.
I  don't  know how much of this stuff is of interest to anyone who  have  been  following this thread. I  do have more  about   the   descendants of   Capt. John  ,   but  I    have  no confirmed info   of his ancestors   . Captain  john Franklin  died  on 5th Feb . 1833 at  his home  Greenhills ,Limerick   after a  long and  painful  illness.    Ana   seems to    have just vanished  into thin  air.  Perhaps   she  lost  her life  soon after the  birth of their daughter Jane Anne.  ?? 

There were close connections  between   the Franklin's and the Cashels.
Walker Northhamptonshire, Wicks Berkshire,  Franklin  Ireland, Walker Ireland
Gleeson Ireland  DeRenzy Ireland.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 09:02 BST (UK) »

So where does 1782 Margaret Pratt fit in?

Along with Richard and Elizabeth Franklin.

Before coming across the snippet posted about them....and from memory...there was one for a Richard Franklin, Tanner in Cork and from memory he is same one as posted in 1782 snippet.

The 1800's stuff has been posted a few times.... your John married in his 60's but was he a widower??  He is 'of same generation' as Richard and Mgt (Pratt).

Then there is Robert and Susanna...where would they fit in? He had a brother Richard. Was their father mentioned in the deed I posted??

Is Susanna's maiden name known?

Lemonfield was previously mentioned..... home of the Bevins.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 09:06 BST (UK) »

"Surgeon Richard" was given a Knighthood..... so where would that be recorded and what details would that contain?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 09:08 BST (UK) »
This fits with the marriage date of 3 January 1809 that I saw in a Krause family history. They must have travelled to Ireland shortly after the marriage:

"Limerick Chronicle. Wednesday 25 Oct. 1809: born yesterday week at Ballyvolane, Co. Limerick, the lady of Captain Franklin of the
 96th Regt. a son and heir
."

There's also this reference in the same document - a niece and a sibling ? :

"Ennis Chronicle. Thursday 14 July 1803: Married on Saturday last at Uregar church James Bevan of Milltown, Co. Limerick  To Miss Eliza Franklin, daughter of Richard Franklin of Ballyvolane in Co. Limerick. "

http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/limerick%20families%20082.pdf

Also a bit more on Greenhills http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie:8080/LandedEstates/jsp/property-show.jsp?id=2333

Richard died Bruff   ??