Author Topic: Capt. John Franklin b 1745 Limerick  (Read 11900 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Capt. John Franklin b 1745 Limerick
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 November 12 09:14 GMT (UK) »
This fits with the marriage date of 3 January 1809 that I saw in a Krause family history. They must have travelled to Ireland shortly after the marriage:

"Limerick Chronicle. Wednesday 25 Oct. 1809: born yesterday week at Ballyvolane, Co. Limerick, the lady of Captain Franklin of the
 96th Regt. a son and heir
."

There's also this reference in the same document - a niece and a sibling ? :

"Ennis Chronicle. Thursday 14 July 1803: Married on Saturday last at Uregar church James Bevan of Milltown, Co. Limerick  To Miss Eliza Franklin, daughter of Richard Franklin of Ballyvolane in Co. Limerick. "

http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/limerick%20families%20082.pdf

Also a bit more on Greenhills http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie:8080/LandedEstates/jsp/property-show.jsp?id=2333
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 November 12 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Marriage register page from St John's Episcopal Anglican Church, Christiansted, St Croix. 3 January 1809:

Lieutenant John Franklin to Miss Ann Krause

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14687-6116-63?cc=1883386&wc=MMYF-4R1:1194849197

You may need to register/login.

Clearly news of his promotion had not yet arrived  in St Croix at the time of the wedding. Perhaps the promotion was to the command of a company based in Limerick.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 November 12 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Richard Franklin of "Ballyvillane " in the 1776 freeholders list http://members.iinet.net.au/~nickred/limerick/limerick_voters.html

Offline Quicksy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 November 12 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Well, the birth of the son and heir in Ireland  is a bit of a surprise.  That would be Richard Augustus Meier Franklin  then, and  at last I have an actual date for him.  It certainly would appear that the family had moved back to Ireland for at least a short time,     within the first year of their marriage.
The next child  whom I was aware of , was Peter Heiliger Franklin  and I have 1813 as the year of his birth  followed in 1815 by his sister Jane Anne.

I also have come across several references to a Richard Franklin - A  Sir Richard  Franklin  Surgeon  , and also a Mayor  of Limerick  .   I think he could have been a sibling of  My John and there could have been a nephew as well I think.  I don't know who might have been  the father of Capt John Franklin. 
The Peter Franklin mention as a resident of Tuthill  along with a Mr Sherlock  in 1814, was also of interests.  Peter  perhaps being another sibling to my John.  Jane Anne Franklin married twice.  The first  time  after the death of her father  (1933)  to a Captain Richard  Sherlock of the  65 Regt. It would appear that Jane Anne was widowed  within a short space of time, for she married for the second time to  George Cashell quite soon after.
I am not very familiar with how things "worked" in the military   of that era  Shaun.  Wouldn't it have been rather unusual for   the wives of  officers to  accompany them  to their postings ?   Perhaps  Mrs Franklin returned to Ireland for the birth of the child, and he went to carry out his duties elsewhere. There is a  bigger gap between the  first and second child .    It that likely do you think, or do Captains have a more privileged position where they can have their wives with them ?    Just wondering .
Thanks  :)

Walker Northhamptonshire, Wicks Berkshire,  Franklin  Ireland, Walker Ireland
Gleeson Ireland  DeRenzy Ireland.

Offline Quicksy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 November 12 00:52 GMT (UK) »
I have sighted a newspaper  notice of Captain John Franklin's death in February 1833 at his home, Greenhills Limerick. It seems possible that  his home  at that time could  well have been the cottage Bettyville. 
I would like to know if his wife Anna Krause Franklin who was many years younger than he was,  was still alive  at that time or not.  I suppose it would be noted on his death cert. if he was a widower   at the time of his demise  or not  ?   
Can anyone please  tell me what details I could expect to find  on an Irish death certificate from that era, and  if  indeed  it is likely to be available  and where I would begin to look  for  it? 
Also, without a date  for the  death of Anna Krause Franklin ,  what suggestions can anyone make for a  starting point  in trying to trace  her  please.   
Thanks in anticipation .

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 November 12 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Registration of births and deaths started in 1864, so there will be no death cert available for the 1830s.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Quicksy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 November 12 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane for yr fast and on the ball reply.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 November 12 07:48 GMT (UK) »
 Death of Peter Franklin at Greenhills - Limerick Chronicle 6 June 1859

http://limerick.ie/media/06%2008%2059-1.pdf

Offline Quicksy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 November 12 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thank you ShaunJ  This was Peter Heyliger Franklin , the second son of Capt. John. Peter married Anne Minchin of Rathclough, Cashel. After  her  husband's death, Annie Minchin Franklin  migrated aboard the "Ernestina," arriving with   with  their children,  in New Zealand  in 1864.  One of their daughters    was  my  GG grandmother. 
I  value yr assistance.   Thanks  again