Author Topic: Excel spreadsheet for organising data  (Read 23972 times)

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Excel spreadsheet for organising data
« on: Tuesday 30 October 12 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, not sure if this is the right forum (Newbie).  In addition to the commercial package I purchased I have created an Excel spreadsheet to organise my data.  I have found this extremely useful.  Is there a way I can make this generally available for anyone who wants it? Don't want to do this on a one-to-one basis. Is there a way of giving a preview so you can see?

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Excel spreadsheet for organising data
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Do a screen shot and save it as a jpg. We can post up to 500kb but watch the size on non-restoration boards or save the jpeg to something like photobucket and create a link.

I agree about using excel for organising data.  I also draw out simplified trees using excel, I can see the bigger picture this way which I find difficult using standard fm program drawings andmuch easier to manipulate.  In fact I used excel first but the obvious downfall is no gedcom.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Estiman,

there are a couple of other topics about using excel spreadsheets here:
Topic: RootsChat Topics: Organising and Presenting your Family History
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,158638.0.html
in particular:
Topic: Spreadsheets help track Surnames
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,31779.15.html
and also
Topic: Not realy a tec problem,but about excel
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,199033.0.html

Perhaps you can list the headings of your excel table, to give us an idea of how you have organised it.**

regards,
Bob

ps. I've moved this to the "FH Programs, Organisation, Presentation" board

pps ** or use jc26red's idea with screenshotsand/or photobucket
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Sample of Excel spreadsheet for organising data
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, as suggested, I am attaching a screenshot of part of my spreadsheet.  At the moment I have 2 workbooks, one for each main branch of the family. Within the workbook I have tabbed worksheets for the various components of that branch.  The screenshot is of one part of one worksheet.  There is a main structure, based initially on census format i.e. date, parents, occupations, children, residence, place of birth.  From this I backtrack so that births (or baptisms) mirror the order and give any additional details or contradictions.  If children have occupations I slip that into a cell underneath. Although that is the basic format , it can be adapted for different events/ supplementary details.  The other main component is for marriages.  For that I have merged some cells to accommodate the format of marriage certificates - in addition to names of spouses, ages & occupation(s), there is a merged cell for fathers names, occupations & if deceased, another for witnesses, and finally, addresses of both spouses. I colour code some cells for ease of reading and use lines to highlight connections.  Individual text is sometimes in red, particularly for anomalies.

Although I have a commercial package for records, I still find the spreadsheet easier for following things through and cross referencing. If there is interest and the means, I can make a blank template available.

Moderator Comment:  topics merged

Offline avrilw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 September 13 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have just come across this topic as I am looking for help using excel for my records. What I need is a way to organise my info so I can get a list of parishes when I visit a record office and I find myself with a few spare minutes.

I would love a copy of your template if that's Ok?

Avril

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 September 13 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Avril,

if you enter the parish in the "District" column, or simply add a new column, "Parish", you can then find all people/events from a particular parish by activating "auto filter" in your spread sheet.  This feature will be useful on other columns too, to find all instances of "...." in a particular column.

You can design a spread sheet any way you like, so check out the other links in reply #2 for more ideas, in particular regarding name variations and dates.

regards,
Bob 
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Mcapper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 June 19 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi estiman, is it possible to get a copy of your spreadsheet, if you still have it please?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 September 19 20:07 BST (UK) »
I've used excel for family tree but I'm now curious as to how to do the line with arrow which goes from one person to another to show their relationship?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 September 19 10:55 BST (UK) »
I don't actually use Excel, preferring LibreOffice, but I think you will find a selection of drawing 'tools' which allow you to draw lines, arrows, comment bubbles, etc. [edit] Most of these are purely visual and do not create links between the cells.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent