Author Topic: Excel spreadsheet for organising data  (Read 23974 times)

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Excel spreadsheet for organising data
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 November 19 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Just seen the request. I can't attach an example of what you can do. So, send me a pm with contact details and I'll forward a 'template'.
It's very flexible - play with it to meet your needs. I colour code to make it easier to see things and the line connections help a lot if you are following something through. Obviously I use separate sheets within the workbook for each branch of the family.

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 November 19 18:52 GMT (UK) »
I've used excel for family tree but I'm now curious as to how to do the line with arrow which goes from one person to another to show their relationship?

Annie

Just activate the drawing toolbar. Select the line option (you can choose a colour), click where you want to start and drag to the destination. The 'handles' at each end enable you to fine tune. I find this invaluable for following through and cross-referencing.

Offline Mcapper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 November 19 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi estiman, thanks for your message. I am unable to reply to it. My email address is mcapper@btopenworld.com

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 November 19 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi estiman, thanks for your message. I am unable to reply to it. My email address is mcapper@btopenworld.com

Hi Mcapper, that will be because you need to make at least 3 posts before the PM is allowed, just reply to this and that should enable you to use it.
You need to edit your post to remove your email address as well, this is just one of the guidelines to prevent spam emails etc.

Regards
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 December 19 19:21 GMT (UK) »
I've used excel for family tree but I'm now curious as to how to do the line with arrow which goes from one person to another to show their relationship?

Just activate the drawing toolbar. Select the line option (you can choose a colour), click where you want to start and drag to the destination. The 'handles' at each end enable you to fine tune. I find this invaluable for following through and cross-referencing.

Thanks estiman for your reply although I've yet to try it (new laptop & still finding my way round) & have only just downloaded excel to it.

Very helpful for others too.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline gerry_unicorn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 October 20 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hello estiman, I am really interested in obtaining your excel spreadsheet. I have tried for 5 years to try and create one and saw yours and this is what I have been looking for. I would appreciate it if it is at all possible.
Thank you.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 October 20 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Sent you a PM

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 October 20 23:22 GMT (UK) »
I use EXCEL for all of my trees.
I run a large number of trees and so easy to swap material between them.

cheers Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.