Author Topic: George RODGER (1760-1834)  (Read 17570 times)

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
Re: George RODGER (1760-1834)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

Thread hijack.....

Hawick hub have some Selkirk Incorporation of Taylor records, although not that many, one book from about 1790 early 1800 and a few papers.

If you have access to any more could you find out who John Inglis was from 1782, and why they prohibited the Bruntons from Yarrowford from working in the town!

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 October 13 20:22 BST (UK) »
There was also a Georg Rodger (described as a merchant) and his spouse Janet Tait giving birth to a child called Isobel on the 26th June 1764. Baptised by Rev. Mr Andrew Moir at Selkirk.

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 October 13 22:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks 1716.  This George Rodger is my 5 x gg uncle and is son of William Rodger, late Deacon of the Tailors.  Isobel, my 1 cousin 6x removed, is one of 4 children.
Bill.
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),
Emery & Treasure (Somerset). Goode, King, Flack (Cambridge)

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 October 13 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan
I'll try and establish whether there is a family connection to the Rodgers in Brierylaw (seems like it was quite a large family).  Would appreciate any 'Tailor's records' that you may be able to find.
Cheers,  Bill. (My connection to Selkirk is snow balling - must be related to half the people in the town by now!)
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 October 13 16:23 BST (UK) »
They lived in the big house Bridgelands

This house

http://farmsandestatessearch.savills.co.uk/property-detail/GBEDRUEDR130017/list

"The house itself dates from 1791 and was remodelled between 1842 and 1851 by
John Smith of Darnick for George Rodger, factor for the Napier and Thirlestane estates."

Offline Kithnkinfinder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 January 14 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello to all the Rodger Family researchers.  Its been years since I logged into Rootschat but thankfully my user/pass still worked:-)

I was recently in the UK in Scotland mostly research my own kin the Patterson's but while over I met an elderly relative who is quite ill and now lives on the Isle of White. He asked me if I would have a search for his ancestry as he has never known who his Grandfather and other family were and I hesitantly agreed.

My name is Jim Patterson and I am connecting from Vancouver Island Canada.  The purpose of my contact is to ask if you or any other researchers happen to hold any information on a William James Rodger who was born abt 1887(location unknown) but was known as James Rodger on his daughters marriage certificate.  Wm James Rodger married Sarah Holden Graham 5-Nov-1909 in Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland and they had but one known child, Margaret Bell Graham Rodger.  William James Rodgers parents were  said to be William Rodger and Jane Bowland I believe?

Margaret Bell Graham Rodger was born13 July 1911 at  5 Overhaugh St, Galashiels, Selkirkshire, Scotland.  Soon after this birth it seems Wm "James" Rodger and Sarah split up and eventually divorced or William James perhaps died?

Sarah H Rodger Nee Graham remarried Daniel Clark Graham at Newcastle Upon Tyne Bet Oct-Dec 1921 and they had 6 children. Mary, Ruby, Wm, James, Walter abd Jemima or Mima?

Any and all help and suggestions greatly appreciated as this distant cousins father was a Prison Snr Guard at Parkhurst and other hanging jails and on the Burma Trail as a POW in the first world war.

Cheers Jim Patterson

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 31 January 14 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jim
I've had a good look at my connection with the Rodgers but have been unable to find a link to the names you mention.
Good luck with your search. (Have you tried Scotlands People?)
Bill.

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 31 January 14 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Would appreciate any 'Tailor's records' that you may be able to find.

theres some "incorporation of tailor" minute books and other records at Hawick Hub, and also with museum services in Selkirk.

Offline Kithnkinfinder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 31 January 14 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the reply and suggestion, will go back to scotlandspeople site and see if I can locate a connection:-)

Cheers Jim