Author Topic: George RODGER (1760-1834)  (Read 17565 times)

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George RODGER (1760-1834)
« on: Friday 02 November 12 01:36 GMT (UK) »
According to the MI in The Auld Kirkyard, Selkirk, my 4xgg uncle, George Rodger, was married firstly to Isabella Cunningham (died 3/9/1792) and then to Christina Robertson (died 5/5/1822).
I have been unable to locate the marriage record to Isabella but have found an OPR marriage to a Bell Chininhame at Selkirk on 15/9/1786. 
Dates and time frames seem to match pretty well and I wonder if Isabella Cunningham and Bell Chinnhame are one and the same person.
Would appreciate an opinion please.
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),
Emery & Treasure (Somerset). Goode, King, Flack (Cambridge)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: George RODGER (1760-1834)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 November 12 16:36 GMT (UK) »
I would definitely agree this looks like the same name just spelled as it was heard.  Did they have any children where the parish records may have the same spelling if it was the same minister so that you can tie it up for definite?

Barbara

Offline danishdots

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 November 12 18:56 GMT (UK) »
A George Rodger married Janet Beveridge on 20.05.1794  in Dunfermline, Fife.  They had a son George on 29.04.1798 in Abbotshall, Fife  (I think he had a sisters Margaret and ??/ Grizel.  Wonder is there a connection

Good wishes, Danishdots
Coolbanagher (Queens County, Ireland); North Creake (Norfolk); Aarhus (Denmark); Burntisland (Fife, Scotland); Rowlands Gill (Northumberland); Ballycarroll (Queens County, Ireland); Raheen (QueensCounty, Ireland)

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 November 12 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Barbara, I did manage to find 3 births and Isabella is variously described as Isoble/Isabel/Bell  Cunningham/Chuningham so I reckon that it pretty close to Chininhame and I'm convinced I have the right person.  Thank you for replying.
Hello Danishdots.  So far I have been unable to find a connection with this family of Rodgers but who knows.... Thank you for your reply.   Bill.
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 09:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry to butt in, but is this the George Rodger, writer in Selkirk, son of James Rodger, Deacon in 1752?

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hello 1716
This is a relatively new branch of my tree and I therefore haven't got a lot of detail on the Rodgers but this is what I have:
James Rodger (1724-1773) my 5 x ggrandfather married Janet Clark.  He is buried at Auld Kirkyard, Selkirk. Monumental Inscription describes him as 'late Merchant and Baillie in Selkirk'.
His father, William Rodger (1677-1763) married Margaret Easton.  His MI in Auld Kirkyard states 'Here lyes William Rodger late Deacon of the Taylors in Selkirk who died 25/1/1763 aged 86yrs'.
Does this sound like a connection you have?
Regards,  Bill.

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 12:14 BST (UK) »
Sorry 1716, that's "late deacon of the tailors"

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 12:21 BST (UK) »
I'm not connected in anyway. I know George Rodger was a writer in Selkirk who, in 1782, was trying to "cultivate the friendship" of the Incorporation of Taylors. Also on the accompt someone has transcribed "probably son of James Rodger, Deacon in 1752"

If these are the same Rodgers than I don't think you will have much trouble tracing them as writers tended to be well documented, and I beleive George was also the town clerk in Selkirk.

Have sent it.

What you may notice, apart from the excellent handwritten, is the 1782 looks like a 1702!

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill There are a few more Rodgers in Brierylaw cemetery Nos 4,5 and 6 .They lived in the big house Bridgelands which is in the side road from Selkirk to Lindean  cemetery.
I will try and find out if any Tailors records are available.
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders