Author Topic: Perry's charlton & rushall  (Read 11656 times)

Offline touchofmange

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Perry's charlton & rushall
« on: Friday 02 November 12 11:14 GMT (UK) »
hi i'm following my family perry line back to the 1841 census at charlton st peter and rushall. I'm just trying to thin out the families and find a line back.

in the 1841c my gr gr grandfather: Thomas Perry bn Shrewton abt 1811
Thomas perry 30, Elizabeth 30 (more likely 33, several sources), john 14, sarah 11, edward 9, rhoda 7, martha 5, mary 3,  +jane maslen 25

his wife elizabeth from all censuses and bapt records was born in Nth Newnton 1808.  On other sites there are many links to maslen's of various spellings, and jane maslen is in their household aged 25 in 1841c.  I should find his birth and marriage first. 

There were 28 perry's on the charlton parish census for 1841 and with no reference to relationship it makes it hard to build families. I have all the census notes for thomas and his family right through but i'm not certain about their deaths yet.  Their first recorded child is sarah aged 11 in 1841, although there was a john 14 in their household for the 1841 census, he is not necessarily their son or perhaps elizabeths, as they would have been very young.

ok i've found :
1829 dec 25  Sarah Ann Perry  D  thomas & elizabeth  Lab.  Charl st peter
1832 apr 22  Edward Perry  S  parents & location same

so that's two more children confirmed, the only john that had the right date had a different mother unless they split up after john or,
two john perry's born about the same time allocated to two families, correct parents, in rushall.  So who is this john? could point to my lineage.  His age if correct would make thomas and eliz 16 and 19 ish.  

the other census perry's for charlton 1841, some of which i've grouped are:

1841c= sarah perry 65, thomas 20, joseph 20, charles 15, stephen 7.
Thomas Perry to Sarah Brista (Bristow) 1801 apr 06. Charl

1801 Nov 08 Betty
1803 apr 03  Jane  pery  (bt Perry) thos & Sarah.  Died?
1804 nov 25  stephen perey (bt perry)  th & s  Marr hannah bailey 1849 @ CH?
1807  apr 12  Isaac pery (bt Perry)    Died?
1808 sep 18 Lucy  pery (bt Perry)
1810 nov 04 George
1814 may 01 Jane
1816 aug 18 Isaac
1818 oct 18  Thomas Perry
1821 Jan 28  Joseph Perry
1823 Dec 07  Charles Perry
1837 Feb 26  Stephen Perry  BB, no parents shown.  Marr Ann rial 1849 CH? (ancestry)

Thomas death/residence 1841?

William perry 25, Harriet 25, emmily 6, louisa 4, alfred 2, ellen.
i found the marriage ref for william and harriet cook- 1833 rushall, wilts. 
ancestry says: jul 06 1833. chresberry, wilts
Could find no birth for william. birthplace?
1835 jan 18 emily perry D  to above parents. charlton,wilts.
1836 jun 03 louisa perry D          "                   charlton, wilts.
1837 dec 25 alfred perry  S         "                   charlton, wilts.
1840 jun 21  ellen perry  D          "                   charlton, wilts.

john perry 55, tabitha 60.   1841 census. births not found on my area cd. 

mary jane   1816 sep 15.  john & bitha   charl.  think this is Tabitha. 

John Blackman 35, mary blackman 45 (nee perry), elizabeth perry 18, john 15, frederick 14. plus sarah blackman 9 (john and mary's child jul 01 1832)
plus four kids on the parish baptisms to James and Mary perry:
1822 jul 7 elizabeth perry  D  rushall - marry john davis 1841 CH. look 1841 household??
1825 feb 2  john perry  S  rushall
1827 dec 23 frederick perry  S  Charlton St Peter
plus 1820 feb 20 george perry  S  rushall -  is likely the george referred to in a different household for the 1841 census and married to emma.  george perry 20, emma 20, james 2, frederick 5 months. i found the marriage ref: 1838 charlton,wilts- george perry father james, married emma davies father george & mary

Also found a possible marriage for James and Mary perry: 
1819 apr 26 James perry of charlton, to Mary venn of rushall.
Any death of james or remarrying to john blackman should be between the youngest child frederick dec 23 1827 and the 1841 census:
1831 jul 30  john blackman marriage to mary perry, charlton.

In trying to trace james perry's line back it might provide a link to my thomas,  i did find a death reference: james perry 1830 oct 5, parents obadiah & elizabeth, burial chapmanslade.  I believe this is the death of a child to the couple as there is a christening in 1828.  So i still have to find james. 

appreciate any help thanks
Perry- wilts, sussex and hants
Bonieface- sussex
Maslen- Wilts
Barnett- Hants

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Perry's charlton & rushall
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 November 12 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Elizabeth's age of 30 in 1841 means she could be between 30 & 34, ages were rounded down in this census although children up to the age of 15 were not. 

Then i get the parish cd's for devizes area and i search for elizabeth maslin:
1807 oct 4  D    John & Grasion (bt sarah) charlton st p.
1809 apr 30  D  John & Grace  Nth Newnton (also replicated for Mary maslin so must have been twins)

Have you checked for a burial for the Elizabeth christened 1807?  I wonder if the bt Sarah means that the Bishops transcripts are showing the mothers name as Sarah whereas the PR's state Grasion.  :-\

See this link for information on Shrewton  http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/WIL/Shrewton/index.shtml

Rosie

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 November 12 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Just found your post and will reply in a bit more detail when I've had more of a chance to look at it!

Just for now though - i agree with Rosie's interpretation of the use of 'bt'. On those particular disks, they have looked at both the registers and the Bishop's Transcripts and they highlight any differences.

I should also like to add that , although Elizabeth and Mary were baptised together doesn't necessarily mean they were twins - often families waited until there were two or more children and then baptised them together - it may have been cheaper?  ::)

Double checked the baptisms for Charlton St Peter with originals on microfiche... definitely no baptisms for Thomas and Elizabeth's children after Edward  ???

Found a baptism for Elizabeth Maslin in Shrewton born 11 May 1807 baptised 2 August 1807 to George and Ann Maslin. Is this one a possibility?
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline touchofmange

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 November 12 23:00 GMT (UK) »
original post updated.

with regard to the 1807 shrewton baptism for elizabeth maslin, it's possible yes. all the census records say nth newnton so i'm rather tied by that.
Can i ask where you found shrewton records from? 

I've noted down the district 6 census for 1841 which is rushall and there are many more perry's and maslen/maslin there, it might help clarify if i can work back from them.  I'm still looking for my original thomas birth and marriage which i suppose is the main aim.

thanks for your help  :)
Bonieface- sussex
Maslen- Wilts
Barnett- Hants

Offline touchofmange

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 November 12 23:15 GMT (UK) »
for my ref i'm listing the parent/married couple perry's from charlton and rushall.

having found the birth of a thomas in 1792 and a marriage: 
Thomas  1792 may 27 to Thomas & Hannah @ Charlton
Thomas perry (rush) & Hannah briant  1791 oct 04 @ Charlton. Note about time she fell pregnant with Thomas. i could find no other marriages for these names to suit so i'm saying this is the same thomas and hannah with further children born in rushall:             
born to Thomas & hannah Perry @ Rushall   
william briant   1793 dec 25
elizabeth   1796 jun 26
thomas    1802 nov 21
martha   1805 jan 06
daniel    1808 feb 23   married mary oram??
ann      1810 dec 2
did 1792 thomas die?

1841 rushall census household
Hannah perrey 70
Mary 30     
Daniel 11  1829  sep 20  rush   to Daniel & mary.
Charles 6   1834  aug 03  son of mary widow. 
Henry 4    1837  may 07  BBS  mary spinster.
where are thomas and daniel?
daniel & mary oram?  1829 apr 27 upavon. no parents to cross ref.

elizabeth perry   rush   who is this??
charles   1817 feb 16  BBS

william & anna maria   rush   wm p & anna maria gilbert  1817 jul 17 upavon
henry    1818 may 10
eliza    1820 aug 20
probable william and anna 1841 rushall census, no kids. wm 45 anna 40
possible william briant perry, thomas and hannah's son. later 1851 census shows hannah. poss hannah maria gilbert, plus many kids and new better ages. update

james & mary  Rush.  James perry & mary venn 1819 apr 26.   His abode CH, hers Rush
george   1820 feb 20 marries emma davies, shown with kids 1841 Charlton census, his widowed mother mary married to john blackman.

thomas & mary   rush
sarah   1814 jul 17
harriet   1817 mar 16
jane    1819 aug 29

thomas & ann   charl
william  1791 apr 24  (? late reg, dates close with sarah, she premature, diff couple?)
sarah   1791 oct 30
james   1795 mar 28 - poss james marries mary above?

thomas & anne    Charlton
diana (bt perry) 1793 apr 28

thomas & an  (perey, bt perry)   Charlton
mary an  1797 apr 16 
henry  1799 jan 03   

thomas & anna   rush
jane   1799 jun 16

william & elizabeth   charl
john   1761 feb 08
mary   1762 dec 07
thos   1765 mar 10   this thomas marries sarah bristow (brista) see original post.
william   1767 jun 21 
james   1770 may 13
sarah   1774 nov 16
Bonieface- sussex
Maslen- Wilts
Barnett- Hants

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 November 12 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about the lack of response - am mind-boggling busy at work this week!

In answer to your question about the Shrewton baptism - it's on Ancestry and may well be in other places since it originated in a collection from the LDS in Salt Lake City.

Will try to have another look at it all later this week....
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 December 12 01:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm going to add this link to your Dorcas Perry thread here too, since there seem to be a lot of these Perry threads, to avoid any duplication or futile efforts to help.

The Dorcas Turner and John Perrior marriage 1810, and Thomas Perrior birth 4 Feb 1811, seem like a possible set that needs to be considered.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,626350.0.html
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline touchofmange

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 December 12 12:53 GMT (UK) »
I'm going to add this link to your Dorcas Perry thread here too, since there seem to be a lot of these Perry threads, to avoid any duplication or futile efforts to help.

The Dorcas Turner and John Perrior marriage 1810, and Thomas Perrior birth 4 Feb 1811, seem like a possible set that needs to be considered.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,626350.0.html

yes thanks don't really know how i missed that especially having found john, neither thomas or william appear on my parish baptism cd and i'll look for the births of john and dorcas.  Definitely think that is my man, i had scribbled down the dorcas and turner marriage but without thomas perrior it didn't make much difference.

It's possible that william is married to harriet cook on the 1841/51 although does say bn Charlton rather than shrewton. Puts him in the same census page as his brother thomas and i couldn't find the birth for the wm with harriet.

Might also explain why i couldn't find the eldest child john 14 - 1841c in thomas & elizabeths household, his birth might be under perrior somewhere. The other children in the house i have accounted the births, and i hadn't ruled out the john being a nephew as they would have been very young having him in 1827 ish. Now with thomas's father being john i think he's back on for the first born.

Thanks very much for your help, i've been looking for thomas for months lol, and many family trees stop there on ancestry  :)

i'm starting to tidy the other regional perry's and remove some of the knots, i think when it all comes together it will open up a number of perry families for that region. 
Bonieface- sussex
Maslen- Wilts
Barnett- Hants

Offline topsytree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hello
I also have Perry ancestors from Rushall
I attach part of my tree.  Please let me know if you see any link with yours.