Author Topic: Perry's charlton & rushall  (Read 11683 times)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Perry's charlton & rushall
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 October 13 08:04 BST (UK) »
Dear M

Yes, the marriage certificate of John Perry and Louisa Maslen would (or should) give their parents, but if you could tell us approximately when it happened, one of us might have access to the parish records, which would give you the same information. However, we need to know roughly when it was!

Regards

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 07 October 13 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi AngelaR,
Didn't realise you might have such access.

They married in Devizes in 1846 . If I have found the correct reference it is the July/Aug/Sept quarter ref:-- viii page 515 . I believe it was in St John's in the middle of Devizes as around that time the lived in and near The Brittox. She ran a milliners and he ran a grocery business.
She should be a spinster born in Covent Garden.He unmarried born in Devizes around 1819/1821.

Their daughter Mary Sarah Sissons Perry was born in 1848 ( I have tracked her in great detail) and on Thursday last week I was suddenly told of a son ! He is John William Neate Perry but I haven't done much to search for him yet.

Thank you so much for asking. I feel as if I know every thing and yet nothing when my Aunt starts telling me snippets.She is almost 103 so I suppose she can play the game by her rules!
M :)
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 07 October 13 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi M,

Quite a few RCers do have access to parish records of various sorts. I have quite a few at home on microfiche, but unfortunately not Devizes of the right period! Others may have better information than me, but if no-one else has, then the marriage certificate is the way to go!

I imagine you've found the baptism record for a John Perry, son of William and Mary at Devizes St John on 3rd May 1819 (born 2 mar 1819)? Looks just a tiny bit early for John's declared age on the only censuses I was able to locate him on.

The only census I could find so far with John and Louisa together was the 1861 with daughters Mary, Emily and Alice. Have you been able to find others?

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 12:31 BST (UK) »
Angela,
You are a star!
That is them!   (grammar?)
Thank you.
I will send for the marriage cert and see what turns up.
I am pretty certain that John Perry 1819 is right so I may send for his birth car too.
They were a strange lot. John ran off to London leaving wife and child of two in Devizes.He turns up in Westminster living around the corner to his new wife!
Emily and Alice of this liason and the second 'wife' (Matilda Imison) all end up together on various census records.
It seems to revolve around inheritance money as there are all sorts of documents at the National Archives/Chippenham refering to them from 1800 to around 1875.
I have been able to track forward in fantastic detail but am looking forward to seeing if anything is recorded for Louisa Elizabeth's parents as I am stuck there.
My aunt mentioned once that she thought Louisa had left her daughter in Devizes and was living in Regent Street London.She also told me that she travelled to Paris. Where she got evidence for this I do not know.
I need to move into the Chippenham Records Office for a month to search their papers as I know there is info there.
Thank you again,
Miggs. :)
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 October 15 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Back on the case,

Having inherited the paperwork and spent months organising and classifying,I now know that Louisa Elizabeth Maslen who says she was born in Covent Garden had a father named George Maslen who was a grocer. However, I can not find either of them and a kind soul on Roots Chat has given me a list of Anglican parishes in the area so that is my next step.

I have also inherited a rather large ,very complicated family tree showing the Perrys of the Devizes area and how they married and intermarried.
I will try and look for people if they ask.  :)  M
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 October 15 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi this is another thread that mentions a William Grace/Sarah I have responded on re the marriage of John Perry to Louisa Elizabeth Maslen
Apparently the father of Louisa Elizabeth is a George Maslen occ Grocer?
Replied with I believe 1841/51 for Louisa aged 27 b London now a Perry with sister Sarah aged 19 b London in 1851 and 1841 as a Maslen on thread containing future husband John Perry
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 30 October 15 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Keyboard. I have them from about 1820 onwards.I can track them on all the census records and have lots of copies of legal documents so we know what the owned and what happened.

Apart from Louisa always stating on any census or document that she was born in Covent Garden I have no evidence. when married,she stated that her father was George Maslen a grocer.Can't find him either.

I'm hoping she may have been christened and that I may find her listed in a London church Thanks for being helpful.

Miggs
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 February 20 11:45 GMT (UK) »
It is now five years since my last message on this thread ! I am still searching ! Recently having searched records from The Actors Church - St Paul’s in Covent Garden. I have searched BDM but have no luck. I now know that Louisa Elizabeth Maslin born 1821 supposedly in Covent Garden was adopted by the age of thirteen. She was living in Yorkshire with a Richard Sissons and his wife Sarah. Sarah is Louisa’s Aunt as she gives her maiden name as Maslin on her marriage cert in Rotherhithe Surrey. Sarah’s husband Richard Sissons Gentleman, leaves a large amount of money in his will  to Louisa who is recorded as Louisa Elizabeth Maslin Evett ( I already knew her younger sister Sarah was adopted by the Evetts in London ) by the 1841 census Louisa is living in Devizes with her Aunt Sarah who has married for the third time ! I can trace Louisa ,my great great grandmother through to her death in a Lunatic Asylum in Berkshire and by then she was penniless. I also sent for and received her medical records from around1887.  Where was she born ? Apart from knowing her father was zGeorge Maslin grocer, who were here family ? I have wondered if Louisa may have changed her name (there is a history of name changing later ). I can find a George Maslin married to a Sarah in Urchfont outside Devizes and wonder if they could possibly be the parents but there is no way of finding the truth.              Any ideas please ?  It’s a very thick brick wall !
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth

Offline topsytree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 21 February 20 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Miggs
Like you it has been some time since I contributed to this thread....but I have been active researching the Perry's of Charlton and Rushall.   Cannot see a significant link to the Devizes Perrys so may be of no interest to you.
My research has focussed on the marriage of Thomas Perry of Rushall who married Hannah Briant at Charlton in 1791.  The problem was that there were 10 possible candidates for Thomas Perry living in the area.    After much research I was able to eliminate 9 leaving just one and am now back a further 5 generations to Thomas Perry who married Jane Stevens at All Cannings in 1629.
I wait to hear if any of this is of interest to you or others.
Topsytree