Author Topic: Wybunbury Marriage 1812- Thomas Bourne and Susannah Completed  (Read 2841 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Wybunbury Marriage 1812- Thomas Bourne and Susannah Completed
« on: Saturday 03 November 12 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I have a note of a marriage on 21st July 1812 at Wybunbury for Thomas Bourne and Susanna- but there is some confusion re Susanna's maiden name- IGI refers to both Susanna Bourne and Susanna Turner.

Is there any way to look at the original marriage register or Marriage licence to confirm Susanna's surname please?

Many thanks

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: Wybunbury Marriage 1812- Thomas Bourne and Susannah
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 November 12 02:48 GMT (UK) »

I can see two handwritten entries for this marriage... one that gives the bare essentials states..

21st July 1812
Thomas BOURNE of this Parish and Susanna BOURNE of the Parish of Barthomley by Licence

The other is the standard form which states...

Thomas BOURNE Bachelor of this Parish and Susanna BOURNE Spinster of the Parish of Bathomley were Married in this Church by Licence on this 21st day of July in  the year 1812 by me William MORGAN Rector of Winstanton. Both Bride and Groom signed and the Witnesses were Ann BOURNE and Richard BOURNE

Karenlee

Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 November 12 02:57 GMT (UK) »

Wow... you can only hope that this is your Susanna... cannot ever remember seeing such detailed descendency on a Baptism before...

Baptism Register
Barthomley Cheshire

Susan BOURNE daughter of John BOURNE of Barthomley, Farmer, (son of Thomas BOURNE of Weston Farmer by Mary his wife daughter of John STUBBS of High Way in the Parish of Keele? Farmer) and Sarah BOURNE ( daughter of Richard LATHAM of Barthomley Farmer by Sarah daughter of Matthew THRATON of Haslington ) Born Saturday 24th October 1789 and Baptised Sunday 19th November 1789
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 November 12 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Caroline

www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb
click database
put in search box   bourne

first page shows
Thomas Bourne to Susanna Bourne 21st July 1812 ......then click on little circle and then the square ...this gives the details ....as follows
8120721    ( 1)812   year     07  month  21   day
Groom f name   THOMAS
Groom s name   BOURNE
status BA
residence WYBUP    parish
Groom Sign   S   ( signed )
Banns   Lc
Brides f name SUSANNA
Brides s name BOURNE
Brides status  Spinster
Bride was from Barthomley Parish  ( why didn`t they marry there ? )
Witness    Ann Bourne / Richard Bourne 
married by Curate William Morgan

hope this helps
allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 November 12 08:24 GMT (UK) »
A Thomas Bourne baptism in Wybu as well
25th june 1786
father William
Wybu parsih
abode is Weston

is this your Thomas Bourne ?...can`t see Susannas baptism

allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 November 12 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all very much- i think now that it is conclusive that I have the right Susan/Susanna.

I cannot trace any further reference to Susan Bourne after her baptism in 1789- the parentage agrees with the rest of my research

Susan's grandmother was Mary Stubbs and when her father John married Sarah Latham in 1772 theyre was a witness called Thomas tubbs- so that all ties in nicely too.

I would agree it is strange that Thomas and Susanna did not marry at Barthomley but at wybunbury which was the main church for Weston where Thomas lived and farmed.
They had no children as far as I can see and were very generous in their Wills to all their nieces and nephews.

Susanna was buried at Barthomley and Thomas gave specific instructions to be buried with her at Barthomley when he later died in 1864.

So I think we can be as conclusive as we can now on this one and thnak you all for all your help.
It was the red herring of Susaanah Turner on the IGI inscription which threw some doubt in my mind but I think everything else now points to Susan Bourne (1789) being the Susanna who married Thomas Bourne in 1812.
Many thanks for all your efforts
Caroline

Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)