Author Topic: Seeking descendants of James Power of Buckingham Place, d. Easter Rising 1916  (Read 14125 times)

Offline mwdv

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking descendants of James Power of Buckingham Place, d. Easter Rising 1916
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 11 October 14 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, J.J.:

Thank you for your kind words - yes, I was hoping to solve the James Power mystery for my mother as much as for myself. Eventually time runs out on us all...the genealogy has not seemed quite so urgent since her passing.

I have been researching any James Power born in Quebec abt 1869 give or take 5 years, in the event that my grandfather actually didn't lie on his census of 1921. There were a number born in Quebec within the time line, many but not all can be ruled out. That line of research is ongoing.

Using directories to trace James during the twenties is potentially difficult, but its an avenue I haven't pursued yet. In a poor neighbourhood such as Griffintown, James Power and his family moved often, so following his movements during and before that time may or may not be informative.

Kind regards,
Mike

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking descendants of James Power of Buckingham Place, d. Easter Rising 1916
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 11 October 14 15:50 BST (UK) »
Eventually time runs out on us all...the genealogy has not seemed quite so urgent since her passing.

I have been researching any James Power born in Quebec abt 1869 give or take 5 years, in the event that my grandfather actually didn't lie on his census of 1921. There were a number born in Quebec within the time line, many but not all can be ruled out. That line of research is ongoing.

Yes, I totally understand it is harder to persue, you may want to leave it for a while...
When i started on here, I'd have helped you a lot more, but I never really got thanked enough for my days worth of comparing census notes to directory notes for others...

maybe one day you'll get back to it... Best of luck when you do!   J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 11 October 14 16:24 BST (UK) »
I'm intrigued by this story and am not sure if I can help in any way but I thought this might be a start.

On the 1915 Dublin Electoral Roll there are a number of James Powers ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7 Mount Temple Road

8 a Buckingham Place (already discounted)

32 Molesworth Street

2 Harman Street

2b Echlin Street

21 Prospect Avenue

14 Queen Street

Given that it's the nearest available documents that I can think of to 1916 I'm wondering MIGHT it be a starting point !

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 11 October 14 16:29 BST (UK) »
What were the names of James' children in date order please ?

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 11 October 14 16:38 BST (UK) »
This is a total long shot

BUT

This chap is only 3 doors down from James Power on the 1911 Census

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Mountjoy/Buckingham_Place/21803/

Tara

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 11 October 14 23:49 BST (UK) »
Had an answer but Mike has middle and third names for all the children in the next posting

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Off topic from this thread and for those who find this info please don't answer this thread if you are a descendant, but just noted ...Looking at the 1921 census... that living next to James at 166 (actually 165 in directory)  is a Charles ward from Ontario, but he's been transcribed as surname Maud.
I once knew where to report errors but did't see any link to send me there....

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline mwdv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 12 October 14 03:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, J.J. & Tara:

I meant to write more last night J.J., but was falling asleep at the keyboard. Be aware that your interest is very much appreciated. I was trying to figure out how you knew so much about my family but of course, the Internet is quite revealing. I also have a public tree on Ancestry.ca. I too have been disillusioned by lack of appreciation when assisting posters in genealogical blogs. Even a mere "thank you" makes a search worthwhile.

To address the question I didn't initially answer, Audrey was an elder half-sister of the Power children. After my mother's death, I had opportunity to chat with cousins I'd not communicated with in decades and was stunned to learn that there had also been a youngest half-brother. No one ever mentioned or discussed him at our house, and I only have a vague idea of the reason.

In this vein and in response to Tara, the full names of the children of James Power (and Jane Ethel Walton) were:
Robert James Kitchener Power;
Margaret Mary Victoria Power (the only child for whom a baptismal record hasn't been found);
Gloria Evelyn Rose Power;
Olive June Dorothy Power (my mother).

The names do tend to reflect one Irish RC parent and one British CoE parent, and only Margaret ever used her first name (unless she was actually baptised Mary Margaret). Which parent do you suppose proposed a naming after Lord Kitchener?

To the best of my knowledge, all the children were baptised CoE (Anglican in Canada) although some were baptised at the Montreal City Mission rather than at a parish church. None were baptised RC. 

In response to Tara's suggestions of last night, I had spent some time systematically researching the James Powers of the 1911 census and had consulted the 1915 and 1939-40? electoral rolls and also the odd probate. I had to go back to some notes this afternoon and remember where that work stood. The James' of Molesworth St.,  Mount Temple and Queen Street can be ruled out by continued ownership or known death in Ireland. Some of the others could stand a look.

Tara, you had also mentioned Thomas James of Buckingham Place. I had tried to investigate how he related to the other Power family living there but never got anywhere with that. One would think it would be easy to trace a wife named Phoebe, but I wasn't successful there.

I have a longshot that interests me as well - the James Power who is at Percy Place, Pembroke West in 1911. Although married, he is enumerated alone. He also can read but not write, a trait apparently common to my James Power if the 1921 census is to be trusted. It is perhaps the reason he never signed any of the baptismal records.

In any case, the investigation is ongoing. It remains intriguing despite many frustrations. Of my 4 grandparents, James is my only brick wall so I inevitably return to it when something new occurs to me.

Many thanx to both of you for your continued interest! Hope to hear from you again.

Kind regards,
Mike

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 12 October 14 04:17 BST (UK) »
I deleted what I had there as it was incorrect...No I don't have ancestry sub...I saw the 1921, remember?  I saw the children Olive & Ivy with your Jane, entering Canada. It was the home child aspect that drew me to your thread. You must have had quite a search in that aspect alone, as I saw Jane's father, marrying as a young lad, off to India as i saw those births as well, back to England, dying young and leaving so many children scattered.

Offline mwdv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 12 October 14 05:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, the three sisters were placed in the Liverpool Sheltering Home and shipped to Canada in 1901. Each went to a different family - Jane Ethel went to an apple-growing area south-east of Montreal. Her sister Olive went to Cornwall, Ontario where Jane eventually went in 1940 just before her death. Barnardo's was very helpful during that research, they provided a dossier on Jane that filled in a number of details of her early life in Canada. However, they would not provide data on Jane's sisters, as I wasn't a direct descendant.