Author Topic: Seeking descendants of James Power of Buckingham Place, d. Easter Rising 1916  (Read 14122 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking descendants of James Power of Buckingham Place, d. Easter Rising 1916
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 12 October 14 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi There

It's SUCH a shame that we don't have at least a father's name for James !

IF his Canadian marriage was his first one, then NORMAL Irish naming traditions would suggest that James' father's name would have been Robert.

Given his older age for his Canadian marriage leaves it open that he MAY have had a prior marriage and children BUT given the specific story re his departure from Ireland SURELY a prior marriage would also have been part of this story, so, for now, I would work on the Canadian marriage being his first.

Brings us back to a POSSIBLE father's name of Robert ~ did the Christian name Robert feature in his wife's family ~ to either rule it in or out as a possibility ?!

What are all the indications of James' religion ?

Was it ever looked into that James was possibly born in another County in Ireland but was just in Dublin around the time of The Rising ?

IF Robert is looking like a possibility for his father's name then I would lean towards Wexford as a possibility ~ just an instinct though !

Also, we are working on the presumption that it was a Power relation of James that was involved in The Rising. It MAY have been someone on his mother's side (we don't know her name though)  :(

A MAJOR job would be to get some sort of an injured list from 1916 together and then go to the irishgenealogy site (presuming that James was from inner city Dublin).

Then see are you getting any sort of a cross reference to any possible Power families.

Again, BIG job, but one for the 'possibly to do on a nice quiet day'.

Was there EVER any mention of a Dublin street that he may have lived on ?

If I think of any more avenues that you could try to chase up on then I shall let you know !

Tara

Offline mwdv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking descendants of James Power of Buckingham Place, d. Easter Rising 1916
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 16 October 14 03:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, Tara:

All are well thought out suggestions, but I know so little about James that I likely wouldn't recognize a strong candidate if I saw one. There is no evidence that he was necessarily born in Co. Dublin.

To answer your questions, James was definitely RC. However, his son's first name Robert probably derives from his maternal grandfather Robert Charles Walton. As hinted before, I thought that the use of Kitchener as a middle name for James' son was odd for one thought to be an Irish republican because even though born in Ireland, Kitchener served as a British officer. I'd considered at one point that James could have served as a British soldier (or even deserter) but a strong candidate hasn't materialised. He might have been a bit old to serve in WWI. In any case, I doubt that his Mum chose the middle name Kitchener.

Please feel free to make further suggestions if any come to mind.
Kind regards,
Mike

Offline Mobsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,
          Not sure if you will see this post but I have info that may help in your search of your long lost ancestors. The James Power who was shot in 1916 was my 2x Grandfather. If you are still looking please reply and see where we go.
Regards,

Mark

Offline familysearch2011

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 15 November 20 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Mobsy,

As you say, James Power who was killed in 1916 is your 2x grandfather and is mine also. This would mean we're related. Do you have more information regarding the Powers?

Noel

Offline familysearch2011

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 15 November 20 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Mosby,

As you say, James Power who was killed in 1916 is your 2x grandfather and is mine also. This would mean we're related. Do you have more information regarding the Powers?

Noel

Offline Mobsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Noel,
          I have some knowledge of the Powers from an Aunt who is 1 of only 2 living relatives from my side of the Powers. If you are willing we can email direct or meet and exchange info. I live in Swords North county Dublin.

Regards,

Mobsy

Offline familysearch2011

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 19 November 20 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mosby,

I only live 10 mins drive from Swords.
Over the years I have collected a lot of information about the Power family. I recently made contact with a lady living in Australia who is from another branch of the family.
I believe the farm which is noted on some of the birth, marriages and death certs is still standing in the Kinsealy area.
Dont post your email here.
After posting 3 times you will be able to send private messages.
Look forward to sharing more information.
Best Regards Noel

Offline Mobsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 21 November 20 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Noel,
           Sound advice, I only became involved in this earlier in the year and only from time to time. When this thread goes private we can divulge more. I am probably not experienced enough in researching methods to do any better. There is a guy in previous threads called Mike, do you know him?
Regards,
Mark (Mobsy)