Author Topic: James Wilson  (Read 11333 times)

Offline menamac60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Wilson
« on: Monday 05 November 12 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to find my gt gt grandfather James Wilson's death record. He returned to Carlow from India  were he died and is buried. I've checked the graveyards but couldn't find him. I don't know the date of his death but he was born in 1821 and fought in the Indian Mutiny.  Not much information but can anybody help please. :) xxx

Moderator note - split from CARLOW LINKS & RESOURCES

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Wilson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, Is there anything else you know of James? I ask because if you look at the Civil Registers for Ireland there are no deaths recorded in co Carlow for James Wilson born @ 1821. I have found deaths in co Laois, Dublin,Wicklow and others but with over 2700 James Wilson deaths you would need something else which may pinpoint him,even an approximite year of death.Kim

Offline shellcoe1111

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 January 15 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I was wondering if you ever found out anymore about James Wilson? My great great Grandfather was James Wilson and lived in Carlow. I don't have a lot of information about him, but I know he fought in India and originally came from Antrim - from what I was reading in your posts, it sounds as if it may be the same man. We always heard he had a wife in India who died, and that there was a child - but we never knew why he didn't take the child home with him.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 January 15 21:27 GMT (UK) »
iHi, do you have any info on him at all besides his name? Approximite date of birth or death or even any old stories etc that may help to narrow him down especially in Antrim as Wilson is very common in the North. Kim

Offline shellcoe1111

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 January 15 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my knowledge of James in Antrim is quite limited, I know more about the family coming forward in Carlow. I know from from his marriage record that his father was Thomas Wilson and from the 1901 census record that he was born in 1827 in Ballymoney, Co. Antrim. I know he served in the 89th foot as it was mentioned in a memorial piece written about his son who died in WW1. My late grandmother would have spoken about him, she said he served in India and had a wife who died there and that there was also a child who was left with friends over there. She also believed that there was a falling out with his family in the North, but she never said why.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 January 15 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,came across a couple of bits you may or may not have.

Under medals it says James Wilson of the 88th regiment in the Indian Mutiny of 1857-1858 was entitled to receive the Central India clasp.

No. 2212
name:James Wilson
trade:labourer
parish: Loughgill
town:Ballymoney
county:Antrim
attested for the 89th regiment at Belfast
date:30 Sept 1844 age:17 6/12 years
discharged at 39 years
height: 5' 7"
eyes:blue
hair:brown
intended residence: Barracks,Carlow,county Carlow

looking at the Tithe Applotment books 1814-1855 the only Thomas Wilson is listed in 1825 in the barony of Dunluce Upper,parish of Ballymoney,townland of Colebreene Lower. In Loughgill,Ballymoney during this time period resided Samuel,Andrew,John,Andy,Robert, and (1st name not given) Wilson one of whom maybe the grandfather to James.

In the 1814 census of Ballymoney I found a William Wilson residing at Piper Row-North Side but I cannot determine if he was Church of Ireland or Presbyterian.

I found the death of one James Wilson in county Carlow  April-June 1901,which means he died right after the census was taken. The only problem with Irish death certs is that they have no useful genealogy info on them.Not even parents' names.

Lastly,I was looking at India records and found 2 James Wilsons during the time period he was there. One was a James Page Wilson who married Amelia Mary Hull in 1845 and had several children only one of whom died. The other is a James Henry Wilson who married a Mary Elizabeth Bateman in 1856. They had three daughters, Mary Louisa (b 1857),Alice Constance (b 1859) and Florence Hope (b 1862). Both Mary and Alice died in 1861. Florence seems to be the only one who survived. I couldn't find a death for Mary Elizabeth. Both of these James Wilsons had Thomas Wilson as their father. Is it possible one of them may be your James????

Hope something may help,Kim

Offline lillyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 17:01 GMT (UK) »
James was my gt gt grandfather.I have this letter written by grandmother it may be of some use to you

My father was Sergeant T. Haddock. He married my mother in India, her father was Sergeant Wilson, (and) both were Indian Mutiny and Crimean War veterans.

My grandmother Wilson and baby are buried in India, they were killed by tigers.

My father and grandfather each had 21 years service in the Fuselleers (sic) and Princess Victoria’s Own.

When de-mobbed, my grandfather went home to Carlow, father and mother settled at 26 Osbourne St., Belfast.
Frances was the oldest, Madeline the youngest.. Madeline and myself (ie. Bertha Elizabeth) are the only ones left.
I will be 78 on September the 23rd, Madeline (will be) 76 on February the 28th.

B.E. Haddock
Married name Mrs. Wallace
29th May 1964.

Offline shellcoe1111

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for posting that letter, it was very interesting to read. I wonder if we share a common Great Great Grandfather! Thanks to the helpful information from Kim, I have been able to find out a little bit more about my James. His headstone inscription is:

James Wilson of Carlow
who died 8th April 1901 aged 73 Years
also his wife Elizabeth
Who died 2nd Oct 1907
H W Wilson
Captain 2nd East Yorkshire
Killed in action in France
2nd Oct 1915 aged 39 Years
Also their daughter Annie E. Alcock
Died 10th May 1916 aged 49 yrs
"Though I walk through the valley
of  the shadow of death I will fear no evil.
Thou art with me." Psalm XX111.4

Offline lillyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible to give me the date of James marriage to Elizabeth? The wife who died in India I believe to be Isabella Hamilton but I am unable to find any records of her death.The dates you have for your James do indeed match with mine except for a second marriage. Irish records are difficult online especially when my details of family are sketchy to say the least!