Author Topic: James Wilson  (Read 11334 times)

Offline shellcoe1111

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Wilson
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 21:23 GMT (UK) »
James married Elizabeth on 6 November 1866, you can see the church register entry at http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/87e8c30023341. James is listed as being a widower in the church register. There is also a mention of James Wilson in connection with his son Humphrey,who died in WW1  on http://www.scarboroughsmaritimeheritage.org.uk/greatwar/f15-flanders-1915.php [it's about halfway down the page]. I hope this is of some help :)

Offline Montyfatlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 13:20 BST (UK) »
Did anyone find any more about the first wife of Sergeant James Wilson please? Some sources say she was born Frances Haddock, others Isabella Hamilton. Does anyone know when and where James Wilson married his first wife, please and when she was killed by the tigers? James was born in Ballymoney, Ireland in 1827 and married his 2nd wife Elizabeth Worthington in Carlow in 1866. It is his first wife that has me stumped! I am descended from Martha Matilda Wilson Haddock, the daughter of his first wife. Amy help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hello, Did anyone find any more about the first wife of Sergeant James Wilson please? Some sources say she was born Frances Haddock, others Isabella Hamilton. Does anyone know when and where James Wilson married his first wife, please and when she was killed by the tigers? James was born in Ballymoney, Ireland in 1827 and married his 2nd wife Elizabeth Worthington in Carlow in 1866. It is his first wife that has me stumped! I am descended from Martha Matilda Wilson Haddock, the daughter of his first wife. Amy help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Edwin

Which Ballymoney?
https://www.townlands.ie/search/?q=Ballymoney
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Montyfatlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 20:50 BST (UK) »
Ballymoney, Co Antrim (Loughgill Parish)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 22:19 BST (UK) »
Ballymoney, Co Antrim (Loughgill Parish)

There are two Ballymoneys in Co. Antrim- one in Islandmagee parish and the other in Ballymoney parish. I think you might mean Loughguile (Catholic) Parish which marches Ballymoney (Catholic) Parish-
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0434
Or do you mean Loughguile near Ballymoney town?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Montyfatlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 September 16 06:34 BST (UK) »
I'm only going by the earlier post by Blemdookie. I didn't realise that there were so many places called Ballymoney in Ireland or even within Co Antrim. I don't know where James Wilson married his first wife, but their daughter Martha Matilda Wilson was born in Sligo in 1849, although again, I don't know exactly where in Co Sligo. Perhaps his first wife was from Co Sligo? Or maybe there was an army barracks there? The search continues ,,,

Offline Montyfatlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Hamilton
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Can I ask where you got the name Isabella Hamilton as the first wife of Sergeant James Wilson? I am doing the family tree on Wikitree. Their daughter Martha Matilda Wilson was born in Sligo in 1849 and poor Isabella was killed by tigers in India ... the search continues.

Many thanks

Monty

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 08:10 GMT (UK) »
As James is Irish Church on the 1901 Census have you looked for a marriage to an Isabella Hamiliton?
There is a possible match Reg district Parsonstown 1849.
The image of the cert isn't online yet but should be before the end of the year or it can be ordered for €4

Get no results for Frances Haddock before 1849.

Offline Montyfatlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Wilson & Isabella Hamilton
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for your quick reply to my post. James was from Ballymoney, but after he left the army in India he returned to Ireland settled in Carlow, where he married his second wife, Elizabeth Worthington in 1866.

I did find one marriage between a James Wilson and an Isabella Hamilton in 1847 in Co Down. As you say, I need to start ordering certificates until I find the right one. Thank you again.