Author Topic: cherry hinton and downham church info  (Read 1996 times)

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
cherry hinton and downham church info
« on: Tuesday 06 November 12 12:25 GMT (UK) »
hi all,
i am hoping to get down to cambridge in a week or so, and am  trying to find out a little info on st. andrews, cherry hinton and st. leonards, downham. had a look at google maps, and they both look quite accessable, is that right?  also do you know if the cemeteries are large? and what condition the gravestones are in?
i have( hopefully) quite a few rellies buried there and am hoping for some photos.
any info at all would be helpful
thanks
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: cherry hinton and downham church info
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 13:37 GMT (UK) »
I wish you success, but from my own experience looking for headstones is an unrewarding exercise. Although I know for sure that ancestors were buried in a particular churchyard, it is rare that a headstone was either a) erected in the first place, as they were a luxury only a few could afford and b) if it was, that is has survived and survived legibly.

So I hope you do better!

Some info about St Andrews Ch H n here

http://www.friends-of-standrew.org.uk/about.php
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: cherry hinton and downham church info
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 14:33 GMT (UK) »
hi and thanks,
 i know the feeling, i spent a whole day at a large graveyard once and like you, knew they were there, but never found them, though, i have had successes at other graveyards, and it is a nice experience when you actually come across them.fortunately, i have to go to cambridge on another matter for a few days so i don't mind spending an afternoon or so looking these up, ( providing the weather holds up)  ;D
thanks for the link, will check it out
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)