Author Topic: Surname search  (Read 7972 times)

Offline Nampa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surname search
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 November 12 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Richard Woodford, my 4 x great grandfather, was born 1710 in Brightstone.  He was married to Susannah who I believe was born 1713/14 also in Brightstone.  What I am trying to determine is the name of Richard's parents.  Was his father Richard Woodford, born 1677 and married to Mary Wareham?

I do appreciate your willingness to look up these records.  Many thanks.   Brian Woodford

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 November 12 21:27 GMT (UK) »
There are so many Woodford families in this area that it would not always be possible to be certain of the links between generations just from baptism records. 

Have you checked out/ obtained the wills available for the various Richard Woodfords?

Will of a Richard Woodford of Shalcombe, Shalfleet, Isle of Wight, yeoman, probate 1703 which mentions a tenement in Brook.  Hampshire record Office ref:1703B/55   

Administration of Richard Woodford of Brighstone, Isle of Wight, yeoman.  Hampshire record Office ref:1751AD/67

Will plus further probate document of Richard Woodford, sen, of Brighstone, Isle of Wight, yeoman. Hampshire record Office ref: 1781A/124

None of these records are available to view online but you can order copies from Hampshire Record Office. Look at this page on how to order:
http://www3.hants.gov.uk/archives/copies-hals.htm

This might be the only way to establish which children belonged to which father.  Equally, wills can be disappointingly void of detail.  But I don't see any other way of getting close to the facts you seek.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nampa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 November 12 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the above help.  As a result of information provided I have located a family tree which provides direct line information to 1300. 

Offline metalmicky

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: woodfords on the Island
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Just joined but might be able to help you. I have been researching my family for years as a hobby and can go back to 1300. I have proved my relationship to them back to Richard Woodford born 1650.

Offline Rob Tausk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 February 14 09:45 GMT (UK) »
I noted the reply by Doran54 quite some time ago, and would much appreciate it if any one has supporting evidence/source for the fact that parents of Richard Woodford of Shalcomb (1650-1703), who married to Rebecca of Shalfleet ( - 1714), were Henry John Woodford (1625-) and Thomasine Cooke (1630-1690). THANKS in advance

Offline Matt_The_W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 November 15 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for digging up a really old thread.

As a Descendant of Richard Woodford, I would really like to hear from Nampa and Rob Tausk and see if we could help eachother with our trees

I know i have a lot of family members missing from Arthur John and Jane Cook's branch which i think Nampa could help me with

Matt

Offline Rob Tausk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 07:26 GMT (UK) »
My first inquiry was about: is there any supporting evidence for the parents of Richard Woodford who married Rebecca. I have serious doubts as to the father being John Woodford and thus also wrt to the Ancestry trees going much further back in time.
I do have some data linking e.g. your Arthur John back to Richard and Rebecca.

Offline Matt_The_W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Spoke to my father who also has Henry John and Thomasina Cooke as the parents

He also has a statement on his tree stating that it is unproven.

He got this information from someone he used to work with whose family tree also crossed ours.
I will see if i can get any proof.....

May i ask where you fall in the family tree?

Are you on the island?

Offline Rob Tausk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hai Matt,
thanks for reply. Is it possible to communicate directly via e-mail? which I find more easy then via this web process. My mail address spread over 5 lines is

r.
tausk
@
kpnplanet.
nl 

And by the way, I live in The Netherlands.