Author Topic: Photography: Ivy Place Burial Ground  (Read 10287 times)

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.magnaquiestracing.co.nz
    • View Profile
Photography: Ivy Place Burial Ground
« on: Friday 09 November 12 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello all  ;D

Wondering if some lovely person might be able to take a few overall snaps of this cemetery for me?  I have at least a couple of connections to my family there.   I doubt they will have stones [would be a fantastic find] but an overview would be nice for my records :)

My GGG grandfather  Edward LEES [LEESE] died 22 Feb 1861 at Knock and Maize of inflammation of the right lung from natural causes and is buried there.  So is his 9 month old son John who died of smallpox 25 March 1855.

The family for some time lived at Belmont Cottage, Stranraer.

Much appreciated!
Sarndra
ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Photography: Ivy Place Burial Ground
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 November 12 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarndra

Not the burial ground, but some photos (old and new) of the church there www.townkirkofstranraer.co.uk/gallery.html

Also, now found big photo of the church itself http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic6237.html

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.magnaquiestracing.co.nz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 November 12 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarndra

Not the burial ground, but some photos (old and new) of the church there www.townkirkofstranraer.co.uk/gallery.html

Also, now found big photo of the church itself http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic6237.html

Hello Monica  :D

Yes i did find that site yesterday - very interesting and great to see some contemporary and old photos!

Thanks for the link to that fantastic photo of the church! Just beautiful really :)

Sincerely
Sarndra
ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 November 12 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarndra,
                  You might like to ask on Wigtownshire Pages where the cemetery and cottage are.

I have been in this church many times and there is no old cemetery to my knowledge in the vicinity.

There is a very old  one at the foot of Sun Street in Stranraer.

Knock and Maize farm is out of Stranraer itself.

I shall be in the area at the beginning of next year I will take some photos  for you if you find out where they both are

suzilad

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 November 12 14:18 GMT (UK) »

I have been in this church many times and there is no old cemetery to my knowledge in the vicinity.

suzilad

Just for background on what I found yesterday. The churchyard looks to be in the back of the church grounds. See http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/160049/details/stranraer+hanover+street+st+andrew+s+parish+church+and+churchyard/

If you click on the pin on the map, it will take you to the modern map for the location. Further map link here www.rootschat.com/links/0s50/

One source for Memorial Inscriptions would be the Dumfries & Galloway Family History Society www.dgfhs.org.uk/. They show:

Wigtownshire Stranraer - St Andrew's Church BurialGround (Ivy Place, London Road).

Suzilad, you look to know the area well. All fine and good me making online suggestions  ::) However, does this actually fit with your personal knowledge of the area?

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 November 12 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
              Yes I do know the area quite well and in all the times I have been there I would never have guessed there was a
cemetery at the back of it.
I wonder where Sarndra got her information on her ancestors maybe they have been transcribed. I know DGFHS do have a leaflets of MI's in the area I  have a few of them myself.
No problem at all just wonder if there might be a marker of some sort I do know that there are some old ones in the High Kirk dated much the same time.
Still a wee while before my visit so fingers crossed we can get a bit more info. on this and the cottage.
 Regards,

suzilad

Offline cir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 November 12 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Sarndra,

The following link may be of use...http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/WIG/Stranraer/index.shtml

The St Andrews church fronting London Road is opposite Morrisons supermarket and is easily located. I see the date of construction of the building was 1898 and you mention the death of your GGG Gdfthr as 1861. Just a thought but were some graves re located perhaps?

regards

C
Ramsden (Stanley nr Wakefield) and Roo (Horsforth) in West Yorkshire, UK

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 November 12 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi C

I got confused with all the different dates too. Also the different splits and unifications with the churches!

From the Genuki link that you posted, there was a 1865 ref to Ivy Place:

The1865 Ecclesiastical Directory lists the parish church, the Free Church, 3 United Presbyterian Churches (Belvilla, Bridge Street and Ivy Place),  a Reformed Presbyterian Church, a Synod of Original Seceders, and a Roman Catholic Church.

Also from Genuki:

Ivy Place churchyard, London Road (grid ref. NX 064606, GPS: 54.9029,-5.020854, Google map here http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=54.9029,-5.020854&safe=on&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17):

* in Inch parish
    * This burial ground is included in Monumental Inscriptions: Stranraer vol. 1, which can be purchesed from the Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society.
    * This is the burial ground for the First United Secession Chapel, later St Andrews United Presbyterian Church, in London Road.
    *  Information from Historic Churchyards in Dumfries & Galloway.

Hopefully, the Ivy Place ref is on the right track  :)

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 November 12 18:07 GMT (UK) »

Hi All,

Just had confirmation that the cemetery is at the back of the church and is accessed up the side so no problems there.

Only Belmont Cottage to find.

If you are ever in the area and fancy a "fish supper " can recommend the "Ivy Leaf "Fish and Chip shop just along the road.

Often wondered why it was called that now I know .

suzilad