Author Topic: Jacobus HEANEY aka James Francis SMITH  (Read 21880 times)

Offline lynfour

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jacobus Heaney aka James Francis Smith
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 17 January 13 00:04 GMT (UK) »

I have had a reply from the message that I put on an ancestry
tree regarding Jacobus/James.

Thought you might be interested !

Subject: RE: Jacobus Heaney aka James Smith

Hi Lynne,
Sorry I have not answered you earlier I have been busy and not doing any research.

Well it is a bit of a story so if you don't understand anything please ask.

Now my great grandmother was Charlotte May Smith so I purchased her marriage certificate to Andrew James McCann who is my great grandfather. On the marriage certificate it had her parents as Francis James Smith and Maria Anne Bond so I searched for there wedding certificate and purchased the certificate and and he put his name down as James Smith and hers was Maria Jane Bond. Now parents names for Maria were not listed but had the word foundley (foundling) on it and I found a record that she was baptised Maria Jane Bond by the lady who found her in Nelson Square. Now the parent on the marriage certificate for James Smith are Richard Smith and Mary Ann Cooper. It also advised that James was born in Tasmania.
Now I searched and searched for his birth details and I had remembered talking to my mum and nan before my nan had passed and she said something about my grandpa's sister Murial they had said that her name was Murial Jane Heaney McCann and I know sometimes that people use last names as middle names and I thought that Heaney was a strange name and as she was the first born maybe that was why she got the name. Now I have looked up her birth and marriage certificate and it is not on there but it may have been a christening name. But thought will check it out any way as couldn't find the information for James Smith. So started searching Tasmanian records for James Heaney with both his parents names and found the record for Ricardo and Maria Anna Cooper with two children one being a Jacobus Heaney born about the same time as James as it states his age at time of marriage so knew around when he was born. Now I thought I would search a little more, newspaper articles or any other information which would lead to finding out if this was the same person.

Now I found an article about the priest that was at the church and apparently he had an accent and apparently he liked a bit of a drink. Unfortunately if you want the article I will have to look for it as moved house last year and can’t find some stuff. But the article suggested he mixed up some of the names of some of the children he baptised one being Jacobus’s sister. He apparently wrote words as he heard them in his head so as he had an accent he would hear Richard as Ricardo and Mary Anne as Maria Anna.

In regards to changing his name it was done before he was married and I am still researching the actual reason why he changed his name. But think as he moved over to Sale which in those days was the middle of no where and choosing such a generic name he didn’t want to be found.

He died in Bairnsdale in 1897 and was buried at the barinsdale cemetery. My next step is going to contact the historical society down there and see if they have any information about him as you never know.

I am still researching this and apparently there is someone else tracing this part of the tree it is one of my mum’s cousins but my mum hasn’t been able to get on to them. So if I find out any other information will let you know.

Cheers,
Emily

Emily also sent thru copies of the certificates she has & I noticed on the page for the marriage of James Smith & Maria Bond, that all the grooms names are SMITH !!  Maybe the priest was more than a little dodgy  ???

Bolitho, Bridges, Butson, Dagg, Daniel, Harrison, Ivor,Nankervis, Peatt, Sanders, Tootell, Trembath

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 17 January 13 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Now I found an article about the priest that was at the church and apparently he had an accent and apparently he liked a bit of a drink. Unfortunately if you want the article I will have to look for it as moved house last year and can’t find some stuff. But the article suggested he mixed up some of the names of some of the children he baptised one being Jacobus’s sister. He apparently wrote words as he heard them in his head so as he had an accent he would hear Richard as Ricardo and Mary Anne as Maria Anna.

This is a bit silly.  The events in the church registers were recorded in Latin and had nothing to do with the priest hearing things  ::) The intended names of the children would have been Jacob and Mary Ann.

I was curious about what happened to the children of Richard and Mary Ann who were left orphans when their father died in 1841.  In January 1842 a Master James and Miss Louisa HEANEY travelled from Tasmania to Sydney on the William.  If this is your James he would have been about 13, and Louisa would have been aged 6.  I wonder who they were going to?

Debra  :)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 17 January 13 12:25 GMT (UK) »
It is more common for Jacobus to be a Latinised version of James, occasionally Jacob.

http://freereg.rootsweb.com/howto/latinnames.htm

Many early RC church registers both in Oz and in UK are written in Latin.  Adds to the genealogical chase  ::)

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 17 January 13 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you are quite right Judith.  I was looking through another list and got a bit side-tracked looking at the Latin versions of some of my family names.  Some of them are quite surprising.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jacobus HEANEY aka James Francis SMITH
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 17 January 13 22:35 GMT (UK) »
I was looking through another list and got a bit side-tracked looking at the Latin versions of some of my family names.  Some of them are quite surprising.

To say nothing of down-right annoying - well, mine are, anyway.   ;D

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline davem76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 January 13 22:09 GMT (UK) »

This is a bit silly.  The events in the church registers were recorded in Latin and had nothing to do with the priest hearing things  ::) The intended names of the children would have been Jacob and Mary Ann.

I was curious about what happened to the children of Richard and Mary Ann who were left orphans when their father died in 1841.  In January 1842 a Master James and Miss Louisa HEANEY travelled from Tasmania to Sydney on the William.  If this is your James he would have been about 13, and Louisa would have been aged 6.  I wonder who they were going to?

Hi Debra, You may found the answer why he went back to the mainland as they would have been going back to there grandfather Robert Cooper or other family members that lived in Sydney. This may now allow us to search NSW for articles on him.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 19 January 13 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Earlier in this thread Sue found a marriage for Charlotte HEANEY to William LONG in Tasmania.

Death Notice SMH, 14 July 1863
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13081385
Summary:
Charlotte Montague,41, wife of William LONG, eldest daughter of the late Captain HEANEY and granddaughter of the late Robert COOPER of Ormond House Sydney. Died in childbirth, 5 July, at her residence Brisbane Water.

Judith

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 19 January 13 06:57 GMT (UK) »

SMH 25 Oct 1832
Juniper Hall, on the South Head road, since its occupation by the Attorney Geneial, has obtained the appellation of Ormond House.

Australasian Chronicle 2 Jul 1842
"....a little beyond Juniper Hall or Ormond House,"

SMH  20 Feb 1866
Ormond House, Paddington, the property of Mrs. Cooper, and formerly the residence
of her late husband, Mr. Daniel Cooper, of , the Brisbane Distillery, was taken as a temporary asylum...

SMH 17 Mar 1900
HEANY.—February 28, at the Sydney Hospital, Robert Edwin Heany, eldest son of the late Captain Richard Heany, of Launceston, Tasmania, and grandson of the late Robert Cooper, of Ormonde House, Paddington, in his 76th year, leaving a widow, son and grandson to mourn their loss. R.I.P.

Cornwall Chronicle 14 Aug 1841
DIED-At Perth, on Friday, the 13th instant, Miss Mary Ann Heany, of a short and painful illness, which she bore with Christian fortitude, aged 14 years. She was justly beloved by all who knew her.

Launceston Advertiser 15 Jun 1843
William Long and Edward Messiler Dyne, Launceston, 32 perches, originally W. Blackall, who devised same to A. Blackall, who conveyed to  Heaney, applicants claim as trustees for the children of the said R R Heaney, deceased.

This website has information about Robert COOPER -
http://dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/juniper_hall

Offline davem76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 19 January 13 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Here is the link to the details you need to read the section on 1827 baptisims. It is just assumed that the priest may have been a little tippled on the day otherwise he may have been a bit old and confused.  http://users.ncable.net.au/~jburrell/gen/barfoot/church2.html