Author Topic: Jacobus HEANEY aka James Francis SMITH  (Read 21864 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Jacobus HEANEY aka James Francis SMITH
« Reply #36 on: Monday 09 February 15 07:12 GMT (UK) »
I too have Catherine on my tree and from information gathered over the years it appears she died in Sydney in 1865 from natural causes. It appears she wasn't married

The friends of Mr Robert Heany are invited to attend the funeral of his deceased wife, to move from his residence, William and Bourke Streets this Wednesday….  SMH 17 May 1865
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13113044

NSW BDM has a new option available (from about mid 2014 from memory),  so you can drill down and determine date of the BDM event.  Catherine HEANEY died Sydney aged 39 years  #555/1865.  The date of that death seems to be 16 May 1865.

NSW BDM death registrations include details about the deceased and the deceased's family history .... so while the index is suggesting there's no info about her parents, may I suggest it will show her status, and name of any husband, and details of children of the marriage, and of course, as it will include the equivalent of a burial order, it will note the cemetery and the Rev'd and the funeral director too.  It will also provide details about the informant and their relationship to the deceased.  The details will also include cause of death and duration of illness and the name of the medico certifying that information.

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 09 February 15 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Now hasn't that taught me a lesson!   ;D  I just assumed that Catherine Heaney was the daughter of Richard and Mary Ann Heaney (Heany). I didn't even think about a wife of one of the boys. AND I actually have Robert's wife as Catherine Fitzpatrick on a tree I keep aside from Ancestry. So maybe Catherine b 1832 died prior to the two children going into the orphanage. One of her sister's, Mary Ann died on 13 Aug 1841 and her father, Richard died only 7 days later on 21 Aug 1841. Both died from Consumption or TB. Perhaps Catherine also suffered the same fate. I can't find much else of Catherine. cheers Jilly

Offline Emily Wickham

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 27 September 18 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Attached is the marriage of James Smith to Maria Jane Bond. It shows father as Richard Smith and mother as Mary Ann Cooper. I am inclined to start looking for why he changed his name what went wrong. I had been told a story about the Heaney family (hence the link to working out James' original name) by my grandmother as she knew my grandfathers sister (my great aunt) as Muriel Jane Heaney McCann. She said what she new of the family they had originated from Sydney but she didn't know if it was Charlotte's parents or grandparents. My grandmother lived with Charlotte in the early years of her marriage to my grandfather. So I am guessing she new a little bit about the family. She use to say the where a bit dodgy lol. So I am trying to see if he got into any trouble in Tasmania and that is why he came to Victoria and changed his name so he wouldn't be found.
Take what you want from this as I know that some don't agree with my theory on all this but my nan and I did not know about the change of name at the time so the information from her would have been what she knew.
If you have any questions am happy to help with what I have.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 28 September 18 04:06 BST (UK) »

In the lower right hand corner.......bride and groom....then in the presence of..........what are these names?  Is one of the names SMITH?

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 18 November 18 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emily, well done. It would appear that James/Jacobus Heaney/Smith might just be the dodgy member of our huge family. I certainly think all adds up to James being the son of Richard Heaney and Mary Ann Cooper. Just as an aside, you might be interested in a book I recently read which involves Robert Cooper, his family and Juniper House. The fictional book is Opal Dragonfly by Julian Leatherdale and gave quite an interesting picture of the lives our ancestors lead in Sydney in the mid 1800s. cheers Jilly

Offline CMLong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 03 December 18 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ladies, I have been reading about my ancestry, can't say researching as I am not that skilled. Wm Long m. Charlotte Montague Heaney was also my great-great-grandfather through a Long patrilineal line. Wm-Wm-AWR-Kevin-me.
The Heaney line gives the connection into Robert "Black Bob" Cooper. Mary Ann Cooper m. Richard Heaney - she was the daughter of Robert Cooper and Mary Ann Cowley. So the first of his abt 23 children with three wives. He was transported in 1813, which is the year Mary Ann Cowley died (abt). And then he went onto boom and bust.
I am interested in finding a connection between CM Heaney Long and her grandfather. Wondering if the move to NSW from Tasmania related to this. I think the house she lived (died) in was called Brisbane Water and the Cooper Distillery was the Brisbane Distillery. Anyway, just ranting, I am on my journey now and will keep looking. Just wishing to connect into your thread.