Author Topic: Jacobus HEANEY aka James Francis SMITH  (Read 21866 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jacobus Heaney aka James Francis Smith
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 November 12 09:19 GMT (UK) »
I think it is hard to dispute that  the names Richard/Ricardo and Maria Anna / Mary Ann amount to the same identities.

I still see no real evidence nor contra-evidence for the son JACOBUS HEANEY to be one in the same person as JAMES FRANCIS SMITH.

Certificates may be the answer!

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 November 12 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Sue, I think you will find their names were "Latinised" in the church registers rather than Anglicised in real life.

Richard HEANEY seems to have been the Chief Officer on the Hibernia which arrived in NSW in 1819, and he was given a land grant in Tasmania.

A few more interesting articles.  The first may not be related, but is the right age.  The second shows that there was a son named James, but whether Jacob and James are the same person...?

Caution to Apprentices - James Heany, fifteen years and a-half old, under indentures as an apprentice for eight years (five and a-half of which are unexpired) to Mr. Joseph Sly, upholsterer and cabinet-maker, Pitt-street, was brought up at the Police Court, yesterday, before Messrs. Stirling and Campbell, charged with absconding from his indented service. The indentures being put in and proved, Mr. Isaac Nichols, inspector of the Water Police, proved that on Saturday last he took the prisoner by warrant, from on board the Australian whaler, then about to proceed to sea, he having previously been entered as a sailor on the books of the said vessel. The prisoner made no defence, and as it appeared by his indentures that the present was the third time he had been before the Court for a similar offence, he was sentenced to be confined in the cells for three days, and fed on bread and water during such confinement.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article12878966

IF JAMES HEANEY, son of the late Captain Heaney of Van Dieman's Land, and formerly resident in Sydney, but last heard of at Mount Emu, will communicate with his brother, Robert Heaney at the Lord Nelson Inn, Hunter-street, Sydney, he will hear of something to his advantage. Any person giving any information of the above James Heaney to his brother, will confer a great obligation on both.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article12924082

Debra  :)

Offline Noells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 November 12 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynfour

From all the responses to your request from Rootschatters it seems that we cannot prove/disprove that Jacobus and James are the same person. Death certificate won't help as it has parents unknown.

Provided you have a subscription, I would suggest that you contact the Owner of the Public tree on ancestry, tell them you are researching for a friend and ask them to explain how they found out that Jacobus Heaney changed his name to James Francis Smith ;D

Once you find out it would be good to hear back from you on this forum, as we now are all curious.

Noells

Anderson,Fry,Poad, Fort, -England, Australia
McCulloch - Scotland, Australia
O'Shea, Shea, Egan - Ireland, Australia
Sternberg - Germany

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 November 12 23:55 GMT (UK) »
In reply #1 I suggested the purchase and download of the marriage certificate may be of assistance.

I stand by that recommendation.

Sue

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 November 12 01:17 GMT (UK) »

This could be the same man as found by Deb in 1849, now in Victoria

CAUTION. Argus 1849

I HEREBY caution the public against hiring my servant, Jas. Heaney, as he has absconded from my service, and a warrant has been granted by the Bench for his apprehension. JOHN RADLEY.

Sue

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 November 12 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Another mention of James Heaney ... and another alias

Victorian Police gazette See 16 Nov 1869  Inquests
The man on whom the inquest was held at Ballan on the 1st November has proved to be one James Heaney alias Crankey Jemmy, formerly known at Bacchus Marsh - 15th December 1869

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Rhonda May

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 November 12 02:12 GMT (UK) »
The reputation of James HEANEY was good enough reason to change his name ::)

The man on whom the inquest was held at Ballan on the 1st November has proved to be one James Heaney alias Crankey

That means James HEANEY died ???

ADDED
Two other James HEANEY deaths on the Pioneer Index so it was not an unusual name.
Nothing so far to prove the identity of Jacobus HEANEY alias James SMITH.

Rhonda

Offline lynfour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 November 12 22:28 GMT (UK) »
WOW!  What a response!!!
Thanks very much to you all for the trouble you have taken :)
Sorry I haven't got back earlier, but have been away from my computer.

I did put a message on the tree at Ancestry, but never got a reply, so I might try again.

There also seems to have been a Richard Heaney that had a hotel in Launceston, so there's a possibility that there were two Richard Heaney's !?

Will see if my friend is happy to purchase the marriage certificate. Hopefully might give some more information. Haven't found Maria Jane Bond's parents yet either.

Thanks again for all the help & information,

Lynne

Sue, is the will available to view on line?
Bolitho, Bridges, Butson, Dagg, Daniel, Harrison, Ivor,Nankervis, Peatt, Sanders, Tootell, Trembath

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you can read the document by using the link I have given then clicking on the Will number to bring up  adigitised copy.

However although it is classified with Wills the Will apears to be absent from the package.

Instead there are papers connected with the granting of Letters of Administration to WILLIAM LONG (whom I believe to be RICHARD HEANEY's son in law)

RICHARD HEANEY  is described as a Liscenced Victualler of Perth  (Tas).

I do not think there were two of the name.

Sue

ADDINGIt could be noted that son ROBERT EDWARD HEANEY followed the same occupation in NSW and there are numerous examples of Liscences being granted to him in the newspapers