Author Topic: Margaret Mackenzie - Buckie  (Read 4616 times)

Offline atlmum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Mackenzie - Buckie
« on: Friday 09 November 12 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I have just started working on my husbands family tree and his grandmother is Margaret MacKenzie who we have been told was born in Buckie Scotland in 1879. She married James Harold Hall in Brisbane Australia (1902).
 From the family history we think her parents are James Mackenzie and Isabella Russell.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Terry

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Mackenzie - Buckie
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 November 12 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at Moray Council's free Libindx site. It allows you to check for individuals. Banffshire is included in it and you might find something.

Offline atlmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 November 12 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying, I have looked at the Lifindx site and I could not find anyone. 
I am assuming that the family knowledge of the Margaret MacKenzie is wrong and I will have to find another way to trace her.  Any suggestions

Cheers
Terry

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 November 12 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, invest in a few credits at modest cost and use some of them to find the marriage of James Mackenzie and Isabella Russell.

Ask if someone who has access to the 1881 census on CD-ROM would be kind enough to take a look for you - I would, but I am not at home at the moment and this 'puter won't run the CDs so I haven't bothered to bring them with me.

LIBINDX isn't comprehensive. It's generated from MIs, burial records, newspaper mentions and other documents held in the Local Heritage Centre, so unless someone had actually placed a notice of Margaret's marriage in one of the local papers you're unlikely to find her there.  Scotland's People, on the other hand, is as close as you are going to get to comprehensive after 1855.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline atlmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 November 12 06:06 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Forfarian for your time and suggestions.  I will be asking for someone to  look into the 1881 census for me.  I didn't know we could do that.  Also thanks for letting me know about www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk another site I will now be visiting.

Terry

Offline kirkmichael

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 November 12 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian is correct that the LDS 1881 census CDs are still a valuable resource; however, and note his comment, not all computers these days can run the LDS software.

Mine can since it operates on Windows XP, in which software such as the LDS software can be run in a so-called "DOS window".  I'm completely unclear if Windows versions since XP can run the LDS software.  I suspect not!  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

These 1881 LDS census CDs are quite valuable as they can be searched in much more sophisticated ways compared with ScotlandsPeople, and even the Ancestry 1881 Scottish index !

After all that, there could be another problem here.

The only Rathven registration district, - Rathven contains Buckie, - 1879 birth of a Margaret McKENZIE shows the wain as the illegitimate birth to Isabella McKENZIE, Domestic Servant, Church Street, Buckie, no father's name given.

Is 'Isabella' just a coincidence ?! <g>

Widening the search period to 1877 - 1881 produces another Rathven birth but the parents names are quite different.

What does the 1902 Oz marriage show as the names of parents ?

As far as I can see there is no relevant marriage of a James McKENZIE and Isabella RUSSELL.

Between 1879 and 1881 there are the following marriages in Co. Banff of an Isabella McKENZIE, - i.e. given that she doesn't seem to appear in the 1881 census in Co Banff, did she get married before then?, -

1879   BREMNER   John      MCKENZIE Isabella     INVERKEITHNY         
1881   CAMPBELL Angus  MCKENZIE Isabella   PORTSOY         
1881   DEAN William  A     MCKENZIE Isabella   BOHARM

Boharm borders on Rathven; Portsoy is in Fordyce parish, a couple of parishes to the East of Rathven parish.

Note, however, that Rathven parish is on the Western border of the Co. of Banff, bordering Bellie in the Co. of Moray, i.e. Co. Moray locations could also be involved.

Orraverybest

kirkmichael

later edit - 1979 changed to 1879 !