Author Topic: The Sheafe family of Wye  (Read 16012 times)

Offline anita77a

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Sheafe family of Wye
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 15 November 18 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

I am also looking to trace my Austen line (here from Sydney Australia) back into the Kent area.

Agree there is alot of confusion with the many repeated names!

I have traced back our line from the 1st ancestors to immigrate from England to Australia as Henry Austen B 1813 and Eliza Spratford up 4 generations back to Edward Austen B 1686 and Elizabeth Vane?

Robert Austen abt B1660 mother Mary Oliver? were supposedly Edwards parents .

Where I find some trouble is to then connect back to the right line of Austens in the area. We thought it could be either descendants of John Austin the 1st who married Joan Berry, or the Baronet Robert Austen B1589 who married Anne Muns. I'm struggling to get an exact hit on the names and dates here though. So also it could be neither! For me as a beginner at researching and being very far away from the region, I'm finding it challenging to feel confidence on which Austens are ours to claim!!

If anyone on this post has any insights to share I would so grateful!

Anita

Offline Terry Luckhurst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 15 November 18 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anita
Our Kent Luckhurst line merged with our Wye Austens when Sarah bap 18 Nov 1722 Little Chart Kt married John Luckhurst (bap 18 Nov 1716 Hothfield Kt) on 6 Jan 1742 Pluckley Kt. From Sarah I then tracked our Austens from her father John Austen (bap 30 May 1680 Charing Kt) down the paternal line via Valentine Austen (bap 22 Jan 1631 Wye Kt, his father Valentine Austen (bap 31 Aug 1595 Chilham Kt) then his father Matthew Austen (bap 6 Sep 1652 Adisham Kt) to his father Richard Austen (b. 1512 Wickhambreux Kt) onto our Robert Austyen (b. 1479 Adisham Kt) and finally to Robert Austyn (b. ca 1445).  So you can see that although some of our Austens lived in Wye they were earlier than your Robert ~1660 and ours only lived in that Parish for 2-3 generations. Our Austens had proven wills which allowed me to track back before the inception of Parish Registers (PR) 1538.
May I suggest you join Kent Family History Society (KFHS) who have a much broader knowledge of the Austens and could post any queries you have among other members - with a number of members down under.
The Austens were a well known Kent family reaching respectable social standing. Our line had 50 children in 6 generations which shows even after the 50% fatality rate to adulthood creates quite a number of permutations, then the conundrum is identical given names similar generation and ages and same or adjacent parishes, making individual distinction difficult unless wills have been made.
Good luck
Terry
PS I forgot about the poor transcriptions, that's why I use KFHS transcribed PRs, although they do not have all parishes yet. If your line ventures near Hothfield Kt there is a good record or paper called Hothfield Memories that took me on another of our Luckhurst half bloodline a further 3 generations back.   

Offline anita77a

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 17 November 18 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Terry - appreciate the tips.
On another line of enquiry I believe its now more likely we fit into the Baroncy line.
And I just joined the KFHS :)
All the best

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 28 July 19 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hello, again, Matt

On the SHEAFE line, I would caution that many have tried to hook our Sarah SHEAFE up with the family of Harman SHEAFE and Sarah GYLLEBRAND at Cranbrook.  There is absolutely  no proof tying our lady to that family.  There is another possibility in the Thomas SHEAFEs in Rolvenden and High Halden. But, again, I have found absolutely no proof in tying that family up with our family.

The thing that is worrying to me is the appearance of a burial of a Thomas SHEAFE in Wye on 28 Oct 1633 who was described as a prisoner.  I have been trying to run that lead to ground but unfortunately, I am having no success whatsoever.  I have many questions but have found no answers.  The fact that our Sarah is buried in Wye in 1640 as a widow leads me to hypothesize that she and Thomas were husband and wife or at least mother and son. 

I have also been trying to track down the baptism of the elusive Edmund Sheafe, Sarah's son, which occurred circa 1616 or earlier.  I believe finding that baptism will put us on solid ground for continuing this line back through time. 

I have recently come upon a marriage of an Edmund Sheafe pre-1600 in the vicinity of Chilham.  I'll have to dig that reference up again, I seem to have misplaced it at the moment.  It was the only Sheafe event in that parish right up to the 1640s.  As soon as I lay my hands on it, I'll send it on to you for your reference.

Sincerely,
Susan

Hi Susan

Hope you are well. It has been a few  years since I looked at the Sheaffe family and the connection to the Austens and I was just wondering if you have had any more luck in identifying the ancestry of "Elizabeth Sheaffe of Wye" who was born about 1611 and married Valentine Austen in 1634?

Matt

Offline TamA77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 30 September 19 06:21 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone : )

I think I just lost the message I spent the last half an hour typing out but here goes again! (Hopefully you don't end up seeing two messages from me!)

My ancestor was Agnes Austin who married Thomas Nott at Adisham in 1591.  There is no baptism for her at Adisham but I believe that she was likely Ann Austin daughter of Valentine and his wife Margaret Solye/Solley who were married in Adisham also.  I'd love to know what you think of that?

Valentine left a will which mentions his 4 daughters: Ann, Bennett, Margaret and Alice.  He also mentions his son's and his son in law Thomas Nott (and Thomas's daughters Margaret and Mary).  Ann was baptised in 1573 and Alice in 1578.  If Agnes was Ann she would have been about 18 when she married in 1591, but if she was Alice she would have only been about 13.  So I'm thinking that Agnes was Ann.....

I don't know much about the family but they certainly sound like they have left their mark on the records (wills, court cases etc)!  I would love anything anyone could pass on.  I'd love to learn more about them and their lives back then in this fascinating period of history.

I believe that Valentine was the son of Richard Austen and Agnes Denne?  I did read recently about the involvement of Richard and his brothers Thomas and John in the eventual arrest of the poor protestant vicar John Bland who ended up being Martyred during the reign of Queen Mary. 

Apparently the Austen family were staunch Catholics.  I wonder if there was an Abbey nearby before the dissolution?  If so they were bound to have been quite involved in it you would think...although Canterbury wasn't all that far from Adisham.

The other interesting thing I discovered online was a will left by a man named Thomas Swafford.  He mentions his daughter Elizabeth and that she will receive less of an inheritance if she marries a man named Stephen Solly.  This Thomas Swafford owed Alexander Deveson of Staple (Physician) over 800 pounds for medical treatment!  He must have been very ill. 

The unfortunate Stephen Solly was the cousin of my Agnes Austen and another connection was that Alexander Deveson's brother John Deveson married Agnes Austen and Thomas Nott's daughter Ann Nott.  Ann Nott was my direct ancestor : )

Tam (Australia)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone : )

I think I just lost the message I spent the last half an hour typing out but here goes again! (Hopefully you don't end up seeing two messages from me!)

My ancestor was Agnes Austin who married Thomas Nott at Adisham in 1591.  There is no baptism for her at Adisham but I believe that she was likely Ann Austin daughter of Valentine and his wife Margaret Solye/Solley who were married in Adisham also.  I'd love to know what you think of that?

Valentine left a will which mentions his 4 daughters: Ann, Bennett, Margaret and Alice.  He also mentions his son's and his son in law Thomas Nott (and Thomas's daughters Margaret and Mary).  Ann was baptised in 1573 and Alice in 1578.  If Agnes was Ann she would have been about 18 when she married in 1591, but if she was Alice she would have only been about 13.  So I'm thinking that Agnes was Ann.....

I don't know much about the family but they certainly sound like they have left their mark on the records (wills, court cases etc)!  I would love anything anyone could pass on.  I'd love to learn more about them and their lives back then in this fascinating period of history.

I believe that Valentine was the son of Richard Austen and Agnes Denne?  I did read recently about the involvement of Richard and his brothers Thomas and John in the eventual arrest of the poor protestant vicar John Bland who ended up being Martyred during the reign of Queen Mary. 

Apparently the Austen family were staunch Catholics.  I wonder if there was an Abbey nearby before the dissolution?  If so they were bound to have been quite involved in it you would think...although Canterbury wasn't all that far from Adisham.

The other interesting thing I discovered online was a will left by a man named Thomas Swafford.  He mentions his daughter Elizabeth and that she will receive less of an inheritance if she marries a man named Stephen Solly.  This Thomas Swafford owed Alexander Deveson of Staple (Physician) over 800 pounds for medical treatment!  He must have been very ill. 

The unfortunate Stephen Solly was the cousin of my Agnes Austen and another connection was that Alexander Deveson's brother John Deveson married Agnes Austen and Thomas Nott's daughter Ann Nott.  Ann Nott was my direct ancestor : )

Tam (Australia)

Hi Tam

Valentine Austen is my direct ancestor too. I have quite a bit of info on this family and will get back to you in more detail in the next day or so.

Matt

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 31 October 19 22:33 GMT (UK) »

Hi Susan

Hope you are well. Where did you get the information regarding the 1615 christening of Matthew Austin from? I haven't been able to find it myself and another researcher has posted on here saying there is no christening for a Matthew Austen in Wye on the 1 Nov 1615.

Do you have a copy of the parish register entry you can send me or was this christening in a different parish?

There is a Matthew Austen christened in Chilham in 1627 and then before that the only one I have found is in Adisham in about 1562.

The Austen tree is quite complex and extensive so it may take us a few days (or weeks) to go through it and sort this out.

Matt

Hi, Matt,
It has been awhile in coming as I haven't had the time to get over to our Family History Centre - my work hours vs. their open hours - but, today I did get there and have the image of the 1615 baptism of Matthew Austen.  I have highlighted in dark violet.  This came from the original Parish Register for Wye, FHL film #1836327, about image 18 in from the title board.  It is actually contained on the page following the page that begins baptisms in 1614. 
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 01 November 19 13:48 GMT (UK) »

Hi Susan

Hope you are well. Where did you get the information regarding the 1615 christening of Matthew Austin from? I haven't been able to find it myself and another researcher has posted on here saying there is no christening for a Matthew Austen in Wye on the 1 Nov 1615.

Do you have a copy of the parish register entry you can send me or was this christening in a different parish?

There is a Matthew Austen christened in Chilham in 1627 and then before that the only one I have found is in Adisham in about 1562.

The Austen tree is quite complex and extensive so it may take us a few days (or weeks) to go through it and sort this out.

Matt

Hi, Matt,
It has been awhile in coming as I haven't had the time to get over to our Family History Centre - my work hours vs. their open hours - but, today I did get there and have the image of the 1615 baptism of Matthew Austen.  I have highlighted in dark violet.  This came from the original Parish Register for Wye, FHL film #1836327, about image 18 in from the title board.  It is actually contained on the page following the page that begins baptisms in 1614.

Hi Susan

Yes it has been a while but that's no problem, I think we have both been busy with lots of other bits. I have managed to get to a few local archives and the National Archives in London where I've used to the FHC resources to get copies of Wills so that has taken up a lot of my time when I've not been working. Like you I have found that a lot of the days when I am not working are days when the archives are closed lol!

Thanks for sending that image. I forgot why we were looking into this Matthew however.

This is what I know about him already.

He was the son of Valentine Austen and his first wife Katherine Terrell.

Matthew was christened 1 November 1615 in Wye.

He must have died before 1626/27 however as in that year Valentine Austen and his second wife [Jane Terrell] had another son named Matthew

Matthew Austen christened 24 March 1626/27 Wye

This Matthew appears to have died young as Valentine and Jane had a second son named Matthew who was christened in Wye on 1 November 1629.

Jane died in 1633 and then Valentine married Elizabeth Sheaffe [my ancestor] in 1634. Their daughter Elizabeth married John Kennett in 1664.

As I have said before the Austen family is quiet complex lol! My biggest problem with this part of the family is trying to trace the family of Elizabeth Sheaffe. There are Sheaffes in the Cranbrook area but that seems far to far away from the area. That said, I haven't found any other Sheaffes in Kent at all.

It's a bit of a puzzle. Still that's the fun of genealogy :-)

Matt

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 02 November 19 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for sending that image. I forgot why we were looking into this Matthew however.
Hi, Matt,

I think that when you originally posted in 2018 that neither you nor another researcher you were in contact with could find the entry.  Not being able to find the entry - and it is difficult to locate in the register - may have called into question the original information I had provided that Valentine Austin had been married, or appears to have been married, 3 times, not twice, with two of the wives possibly being related through their Terrell [sic] families. 

And as I like to tidy up open questions, I kept this on my 'to-do' list until I could get it done.  So, now anyone who is looking at the same families can have a record of this Matthew's baptism in 1615.

CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE