Author Topic: The Sheafe family of Wye  (Read 15736 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Sheafe family of Wye
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 03 November 19 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for sending that image. I forgot why we were looking into this Matthew however.
Hi, Matt,

I think that when you originally posted in 2018 that neither you nor another researcher you were in contact with could find the entry.  Not being able to find the entry - and it is difficult to locate in the register - may have called into question the original information I had provided that Valentine Austin had been married, or appears to have been married, 3 times, not twice, with two of the wives possibly being related through their Terrell [sic] families. 

And as I like to tidy up open questions, I kept this on my 'to-do' list until I could get it done.  So, now anyone who is looking at the same families can have a record of this Matthew's baptism in 1615.

Hi Susan

I've always kept to the assumption that Valentine Austen was married 3 times rather than 2 as it seems to fit with the dates of his children's christening better. I think this entry from the parish register seems to confirm that.

Of course the connection with the Austens gets more interesting now as I have found another connection to them through a different branch of my Kent ancestors.

As I said in my last post my biggest puzzle with the family is working out the ancestry of Elizabeth Sheaffe. It's an unusual name so you would think they'd be easy to trace, but no. There are plenty of Austens in the area [they're a big family as you've probably noticed] but Elizabeth just seems to appear out of nowhere.

If there was a way to link the Sheaffe family in Cranbrook to Elizabeth then I would feel better but so far I've still not seen any evidence to link them.

The search goes on.....

Matt

Matt

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 03 November 19 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this fairly comprehensive history of the Sheafe family?

https://archive.org/details/sheafefamilyofol00watk/page/12

There may be an Elizabeth that hasn't been accounted for.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 03 November 19 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this fairly comprehensive history of the Sheafe family?

https://archive.org/details/sheafefamilyofol00watk/page/12

There may be an Elizabeth that hasn't been accounted for.

Hi there

I do have a copy of this info somewhere in my notes I think. I haven't look at the Sheaffes for a while so I'll have to take a look at my notes. The Elizabeth christened in the Hadlow area (see earlier post) might be a better fit with the family in Wye, but I think we need to keep an open mind as these might be linked too.

Matt

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 16 November 19 10:41 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple of references to the Sheafe family in the Cranbrook Society Journal

Sheafe, Thomas, and family: II,33; XXIX, 8-10

http://www.cranbrookmuseum.org/journal-index.html

I don't know if it would have some further information ???
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 12 February 24 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi.