Author Topic: John Fortune born 1860 Churchtown,Hook,Wexford  (Read 4569 times)

Offline Gillybilly7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Fortune born 1860 Churchtown,Hook,Wexford
« on: Sunday 11 November 12 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello there I really could do with some help with this one, I'm trying to find out information on a John Fortune born in Churchtown,Hook in 1860.( My great grandfathers brother.)
Story has it John went to sea a young boy and was shot aboard ship by Captain Patrick Stafford. (Captain Stafford became master mariner 1894, he died while at mass in 1913 and is buried in Duncannon old graveyard.
John was supposed to have been up the rigging - was scared ? wouldn't come down , and so Captain Stafford shot and killed him.
Some say it happened in Duncannon/ Irish waters other old locals who heard the story as young children say it happened outside Ireland.
John's father was Michael Fortune and his mother was Catherine Hayes both from Churchtown. John had three  brothers , Edward died young, James who married Anne Sheil - my gg grandfather, and Nicholas- himself a sailor, never married. One sister Mary who married John Kavanagh from Churchtown.
John doesn't appear on 1901/1911 census, no death records. Any advice would be great, thank you. :)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Fortune born 1860 Churchtown,Hook,Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 November 12 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any idea of the year John Fortune would have died?
Baptism details for the family (maybe you have them) but there is another brother you dont mention in your post.

1   Baptism John Fortune. Parish St James & Templetown. Diocese Ferns.
     County Wexford. Parents Michael Fortune & Catherine Hayes.
     John Born 5th Nov 1860 Baptised 6th Nov 1860. Sponsors Las Breen
     Mgt Fortune
2   Mary Fortune, same details as above. Baptised 21st August 1869
     Sponsors John Fortune & Mgt Fortune
3   Edward Fortune. Baptised 14th August 1863. Sponsors William Dwyer
     Anty Fortune
4   Michael Fortune. Born 12 Dec 1855. Baptised 13 Dec 1855. Sponsors

Jacobus Kavanagh & Lisa Fortune

5   James Fortune born 20th May 1858 Baptised 21st May 1858. Sponsors
Thomas & Catherine Fortune. :)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 November 12 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Birth for Michael Fortune. Parish St James & Templetown. Diocese Ferns
County Wexford. 21st January 1832. Baptised 22nd Jan 1832.
Father Michael Fortune Mother Maria Dwire (Dwyer would say)
Sponsors  : Jacobus Fortune Margaretta Fortune.

MARRIAGE for Michael Fortune & Catherine Hayes.

Parish of Templetown. Diocese Ferns. County Wexford.
29th April 1855. Witnesses: Thomas Fortune & Sara Fortune. :)

Offline Gillybilly7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 November 12 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply, I have been on this trail for many years. I have been to see the  baptism records for John, Mary,James , Nicholas and Edward but as he died young I didn't mention him. I thought there would have been others such as a first born son named after the father Michael, so you finding another is just great .
It's just  great you found my g g grandfather Michaels birth records and his marriage to Catherine.
Where ever did you find all this ? :)
As for John - well there's more to the story. The father Michael was a local fisherman, and John went to sea a young lad sailing with local sailors, a Fleming from Poulfur and Patrick Stafford also from Poulfur area.
John was shot from the rigging - Patrick Stafford was supposed to have said " come down yee wee rat " and as John wouldn't come down he shot and killed him. When John's mother heard all this - she said " call my boy a rat " and cursed Patrick Stafford - saying may the rats follow you to your grave. And from what I heard he always had a big rat problem where ever he lived. As I said he died in 1913 , only getting his ticket in 1894 . I found that information at The National Archives here in London.  A local sailor also involved this Flemming chap was on John's ship. But alas I cannot find any log books etc.
According to my dad - who still lives in the Hook / and Charlie
( rip) it happened local but no records.
John was born in 1860 and we have no idea what year this all happened .
While googling I discovered a local lady from Poulfur area who lives in Australia - she was looking for information  on Patrick Stafford, and she new the story of John - but she heard it was mutiny of some sort .
My dad has always been interested in John's story since he was a chap, dads now late 70's and I've been on John's trail .
Many thanks for your findings I'm very greatful for any information.
Gilly 

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 November 12 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Came across the following which may be a source for the information you are looking for - you could contact the person
www.nicholasfurlong.com

:)

Offline Gillybilly7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 November 12 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.

Offline PfortuneB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 March 19 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello I am researching the Fortune family that left Wexford\Waterford to fish in Newfoundland. The one concrete link I have is a Patrick Fortune that married Mary Shaughnessy in Newfoundland on November 19, 1827 and was from Slade. He would have been born c1800 if he married 1827. I am not sure his exact relationship to my ggg grandfather Edward Fortune who was born c1790 and was married to Judith Driscoll. So far I have not found marriage or baptism info on Judith or Edward.  I just wondered if in your research you have come across any stories of family members who left for Newfoundland?  Thanks very much