Author Topic: John Carroll, father Jeremiah – where born in Kerry (moved to London Bermondsey)  (Read 12029 times)

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Carroll, father Jeremiah – where born in Kerry (moved to London Bermondsey)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Can you give approximate time ranges for birth(s) given ages of people you know. And for any marriage(s), any brothers/sisters of your father/grandfather.  Basically any info you have, even approx guesses.  When did he die in St Olave? When was he in Foxglove?

Offline gangamonk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Carroll, father Jeremiah – where born in Kerry (moved to London Bermondsey)
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 January 13 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello, And thank you for all the help you are giving me.

My grandfather was Roger Carroll, of 19 Tapley House, Dockhead, Bermondsey.  He said he never knew his birthday, neither, year, month, nor day. No record of him getting married.  The whole family backed this up (but they were avoiding any mention)

He married Margaret Coakley, but she was not sure (part of the cover up) whether she was a Coakley or Corridan (Corrigan).  We visited a Timothy and a Patrick, who lived near Abbey street where they  had a grocery store. There was also a Mary (who I think was Rogers sister) a Beth and Liz (who seemed divorced) They would not say who they were related to, however it was either Roger or his wife Margaret.

It gets worse, I know Roger received a phone call once from a man who said he was his brother and trying to find him.  He was distressed, told him he never heard of Roger Carroll, hung up, and all I could make out  was the call was from America.

Margaret had a brother named Jim who became a monk in Mount St Bernard Abbey Leicester,  but even with his beliefs he would not discuss anything.

To add a final note, it seemed that they were masters of disguise.   I  discovered my brother name roger, was not Roger it was Joseph, my mothers name Eileen, was not Eileen but Mary, and I am not sure if there first names were real at this point.

I am a writer, and feel sure this would all make a very good fiction book LOL. only kidding.

I found one record and have not been able to find it since.  Roger Carroll 19 Tapley House, Bermondsey, father lived Foxglove.  JOhn or Roger was on that document.

Oh I do hope someone would have some info. 

Offline markthespark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 January 13 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gangamonk,

Have you any dates at all to give us something to go on?

Regards,

Mark.

Offline markthespark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 January 13 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes,

I can see Roger's marriage to Margaret Coakley, Dec 1922 St Olave.

Offline markthespark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 January 13 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Also a birth for Roger, Dec 1900,  St Olave.

Offline markthespark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 January 13 18:57 GMT (UK) »
I was looking for a marriage of a Carroll just before 1900 in St Olave.

Unfortunately there are lots of Carrolls in that area.

His marriage cert should reveal his fathers name and if you go for the 1900 birth (and with there being lots of Carroll's it may not be him) that would contain parents names which means you could cross reference the father on both certs.

I've known a few older people who cannot remember their age. They remember it when the pension is due, mind. ;D

Regards,

Mark.

Offline markthespark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 January 13 19:25 GMT (UK) »
There is a Margaret Coakley birth, St Olave Dec 1901 and a James Coakley birth St Olave Dec 1899 so that looks like brother and sister, if your information is correct.

I can see the birth of a Roger, St Olave Dec 1900, Elizabeth, St Olave March 1899, but not sure if these are brother and sister.

I think your next port of call is a copy of Roger's certs for his marriage 1922 and possible birth in 1900.

Mark.

Offline Dulaigh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 January 13 20:23 GMT (UK) »
You will find Coakley in Brosna  next to Kilmeen. Usually the Irish congegated to local conclaves and married girls from their locality in Ireland. See Irishgenealogy.ie

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 January 13 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Some idea of dates?