Author Topic: School at Probus  (Read 4279 times)

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
School at Probus
« on: Monday 12 November 12 13:25 GMT (UK) »
A distant ancestor of mine Oscar Spratt was the superintendant of the Porcurno telegraph station towards the end of the 1800s.One of his sons,Henry I think was educated at the school at Probus.He went on to have a successful career in the law becoming an attorney.Does anyone have imformation about this school?
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: School at Probus
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 November 12 14:30 GMT (UK) »
The only information I could find on the 'net was:

The eminent Probus school was demolished to make way for housing. Lewman Road in the village (leading off the appropriately named College Close) was named after a beloved headmaster. One of Probus school's greatest treasures was a signed photograph of Scott of the Antarctic. It was given to the school in thanks for the money they sent to help with the expedition. One of the sledges on the expedition was called Probus School.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 November 12 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info on the school.I wonder if it had any famous ex pupils?
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline cornish jo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Whilst not famous, my father is an ex pupil of Probus College, a boys' boarding school in the 1950/60's when he attended. I have 3 photos of the school which have recently been sent to me. Pm your email address if you would like me to share these with you
CRAZE - St Ives, Cornwall
HICKS, St Erth & Lelant Cornwall
CARLYON - Breage, Cornwall
PERRY - Gwennap, Cornwall
PHILLIPS - Crowan, Cornwall
FLOOD - Honiton, Devon
WESCOMB - Exeter, Devon
LEE - Honiton, Devon
MAYES - Norfolk

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Interesting that the school was still going in the 1960s.In 1891 when Cecil Spratt was a student there the headmaster was Richard Blackmore age 55 from Roborough,Devon.He was Vicar of  Merther.His wife Mary was from Probus. I got a bit confused about Cecil.He became a telegraph engineer like his father Oscar.It was brother Herbert James Spratt who became Barrister at Law.In 1891 Herbert was at school at North Close,Tiverton,Devon.The school is not named.The headmaster was George H Spring age 42 from Aylesbury.His wife Mary was born in Greece.A number of the pupils were born in India.Have just realised that I have been wrongly calling Cecil and Herberts father Oscar when his name was George Oscar Spratt.He died in 1928 at Milford on Sea,Hants. leaving his sons an estate of £4638-3s-9d

Offline tim e

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 March 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »
I am writing up a life of Michael Adams MBE - the foremost painter in Seychelles. He attended Probus school in the late 1950s and recalls the headmaster being called Bastable. He is becoming quite well known so might qualify as a 'famous' old Probian.

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 March 18 18:23 GMT (UK) »
It's not much of a reply, I fear, but the junior matron at Wolborough Hill School, Newton Abbot, which collapsed a few years ago after someone ran away with all the money, and where I was in the 1950s, told us once that Probus was the dirtiest school where she had ever worked.
Cornish (Devon), Bowden (Cornwall, Devon), Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire), Karslake (Devon), Eales (Devon), Churchill (Dorset -- no known connection with Sir Winston), Duncan (Ireland), Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire), McMurtry (Ireland), Browning (Hampshire, Dumfries), Heberden (various), Rogers (Thurlestone, Devon)