Author Topic: Hammond family Sale Cheshire  (Read 3624 times)

Offline bhandley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hammond family Sale Cheshire
« on: Monday 12 November 12 18:43 GMT (UK) »
I think my father's aunt Emma Handley may have married a James Hammond in 1891, registered at Altrincham. Emma born 1864 was originally from Shropshire but in the 1891 census she had moved to Sale to work as a servant. If I am correct she had 4 children, Albert Edward, Catherine, John James and Amy. James left his estate to Catherine Booth and Amy Whitehurst his daughters and Albert Edward. Albert being a chemist's manager by now in 1939. Does anyone know if this is correct for Emma Handley's marriage and if so, who her daughters were married to? Any information would be of interest.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hammond family Sale Cheshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 08:00 GMT (UK) »
www.cheshirebmd.org.uk   1891
HAMMOND James to HANDLEY Emma    Altringham Civil Marriage  Trafford   ALT/14/124
Catherine Hammond christened 16th october 1898
John James Hammond christened 9th sep 1903
Amy Hammond christened 22nd July 1908   all at St Annes ,Sale ..parents James and Emma

on cheshirebmd   1897 Albert ( no Edward ) Hammond   Altringham   Trafford  ALT/86/21

1891 to 1897 is a long time without children ,,,you might want to check these 3 out

1893 Isabella Hammond  Altringham  Trafford  ALT/78/51
1894 Dorothy Hammond  Altringham  Trafford  ALT/80/56
1896 Joseph Hammond    Altringham   Trafford  ALT/84/43
do you have James and Emma on the 1901 census in Sale ?...or Altringham ? ..if so what children are given as residing with them ? ...maybe if they were rich , Joseph//Dorothy/Isabella ( if they are James/Emmas children ) may be residing in a school somewhere ....
hope this helps
allan

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 08:11 GMT (UK) »
1928 Walter Whitehurst married Amy Hammond     Bucklow   8a  418

no marriage for Catherine Hammond to Booth showing in Englland / Wales ...could she have married abroad or in Scotland ?  -  OR   was Catherine previously married and Booth was her 2nd husbands surname - hence can`t find a Booth to Hammond
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 17:13 GMT (UK) »

On Free BMD there is this, it could be a possible

Kathleen Hammond to Joseph S Booth  March 1937  Bucklow 8a 415

Pat.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Are you following the correct Emma HANDLEY, the one shown with James HAMMOND ( Skaife Road / Northenden Road / South Grove ) and the mother of the four children above is born in Worcestershire

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 09:18 GMT (UK) »

Going off the info from the original post I do think this is the correct Emma Handley.
Looking at the 1871 census Emma is living in Shropshire with her parents.
The registration district is Tenbury which is in Worcestershire and in a later census Emma gives her birthplace as Tenbury.  As Shropshire and Worcestershire border each other then I think it’s reasonable to assume that this is the same person but as always the only way to be certain of anything is to buy the marriage cert and a birth cert for one of the children.
It seems from the census records that Albert Edward was born in Herefordshire and there is a birth record on Free BMD

Dec 1892 Albert Edward Hammond, Leominster, 6a 495

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I didnot employ the geographical logic to this one and you found Albert Edward.

I noted tyhat the Grant of Probate for James Hammond indicates he died Nottingham, do you know why?

Offline bhandley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 January 19 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I seem to have missed the replies.
I was looking at Emma Handley again yesterday and found someone had their different Emma Handley married to James Hammond. I am now uncertain of my facts from when she was at home with her parents in 1871 onwards.  Emma Handley was born 07 April 1864 and now I have found an Emma Howells. a widow, born 07 April 1864 living in 36 Mill Street, Ludlow in 1939. In 1911 this address is occupied by a William and Emily Howells both born about 1870. So did Emma go to Cheshire? I have tried to find a marriage for Emily and William and a possible marriage for Emma to a Mr Howells without any success.
The other Emma Handley was born about 1866 in Old Wood, Tenbury to George Handley and Catherine Passey. I think that might be a better fit to the Hammond family than my great aunt Emma but cannot find any other records/sources for mine. I would appreciate any more thoughts as I have spent hours seemingly going round in circles. Thank you for the help so far.

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
EMMA HANDLEY
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 January 19 23:20 GMT (UK) »
RG11; Piece: 2617; Folio: 51; Page: 6;
Emma HANLY 17 (1864) Bitterley, Shropshire Gen Serv

Marriage Kidderminster v 6c p287
George SIMPSON to Emma HANDLEY/HANDLY

SIMPSON, WILLIAM  LEWIS     HANDLEY     Order
GRO Reference: 1885  J Quarter in KIDDERMINSTER  Volume 06C  Page 242

SIMPSON, NINS  ELIZABETH     HANSLEY 
GRO Reference: 1886  D Quarter in KIDDERMINSTER  Volume 06C  Page 229

RG12; Piece: 2314; Folio: 41; Page: 38

1895 Massachusetts, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1963
Emma / William L / Nina E are listed as arriving in Boston in 1893 George travelled in 1892

1900 US census
 Chester, Burlington, New Jersey; Page: 11; Enumeration District: 0013;