Author Topic: clonmel,ex servicemen houses,1920  (Read 9351 times)

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: clonmel,ex servicemen houses,1920
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 April 13 16:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, every little helps, I will give them a call monday and see what they have.
M
Roche Wexford/USA
Sinnott 2 families Ardcavan Wexford/USA and Boolaboy.
Cullen Ballyknockan  Wexford/ USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline Catherine Edwards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 23:36 BST (UK) »
My Mum lived in Glenconnor Cottages, her name was O'Brien she had two brothers and three sisters.  I hope to visit with her soon she is 95 and doing fine.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 November 16 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My Mum lived in ex service mens cottages Glenconnor with her family the O'Brien's way way back. She is now 96 and still tells the stories of her life there to her great grandchildren happy memories.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 November 16 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am happy to hear that your mom has such good memories of Glenconnor. Although you haven't mentioned whether your mom lived in the first second or third cottages. There is a lady who still lives in the second cottages, who will know most of the families who lived there. She has a business in the town centre, Clonmel, and was a councillor. She will have connections there. If you send me a PM I can give you her details, if you wish. I have often heard the third cottages referred to as 'the Kerry Road side'. The field that separated the cottages, 1st & 2nd from the third, remained unoccupied until recently. There was a notice to build there about a year ago. Hope that helps and good luck.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 November 16 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Not sure which cottages Glenconnor shall ask Mum tomorrow. Do know that my Uncle Johns best buddy was Georgie Goodman was he known to you?

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 November 16 23:43 GMT (UK) »
I will answe in a PM.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Catherine you should receive my answer in your inbox. Hopefully your mom will be able to remember more information. I believe the George Goodman that you are referring to died some years back. His wife has also passed away. Their only child died sadly aged 4 years. Your mom may know if there are any members of your O'Brien line, remaining in the area. I know that there was an O' Brien family living in Glenconnor in later years. They have dice left. I have a feeling that they were from Canada. They may not have been the original family or surname in that house. I wouldn't want to confuse your research. I also wouldn't know if their ancestors were connected to yours though. Perhaps returning to the ancestral home of Glenconnor.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Catherine, I got your reply message in my inbox also. Please let me know if you need any information. At least you know now that your ancestors were from the second cottages, Glenconnor, Clonmel. I suggested my inbox for personal information in order to maintain privacy for living relatives. If only we could turn back the hands of time and get all the original Glenconnor ex service men, and their families, together once again. I would love to hear their stories. You are lucky to have that chance now with your mom. I wish her good health and cheer, she is a great age.

Offline liam_ob123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 November 16 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello, very interested in what I've been reading here! I'm an O'Brien; my father's family lived at 26 Glenconnor Cottages up until the 1950's. I've been researching my family and I'm hoping to get in touch with anyone from the area or someone who has knowledge of the family. Anyone able to help?

Regards,

Liam.