Author Topic: TEMPLE-SMITH look ups please :)  (Read 9377 times)

Offline aitch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alton
    • View Profile
Re: TEMPLE-SMITH look ups please :)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Wow - thank you so much for all this information AMBLY!     I'm going to hunker down for the afternoon and get my head round it all.

Thank you for all your super-sleuthing!  I know Ken will be thrilled to have this information. Truly appreciate all your work on my behalf.

aitch :)
RATCLIFFE, BARLOW, BERESFORD, BLOOR, BYATT, DAKIN, KENT, LEES, MORTON, NORCLIFFE, OAKS, OSBORNE, PARKS, RICHARDSON, ROBINSON, SORTON, WETTON, WARRINGTON, WATTS, WOOD, WOLVERSCROFT (all from the Staffordshire Moorlands) - and specific interest in anyone who at any time lived in or around the village of ALTON

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 January 13 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I feel like I can be a help to you as I am related to this family. I branch of the relation of "Alfred Graham Smith" then branch off the "Raymond Geoffrey Smith" side of the family. Raymond Knew very little of his real father as his father walked out when he was a child. The mother Bessie then changed his last name to "Purcell" (illegally) and he thought that another man was his real father.

Later on in Raymond's life his half brother (a older brother that was born out of wedlock called Vernon Cyril Mellus Salisbury. which was Bessie's son) told Raymond and his other brothers about his real dad "Alfred Graham Smith". Vernon knew a lot about Alfred. He knew that Alfred was also given the name "Temple" as a middle name and he used that a lot. So in some documentation you might find Alfred Graham Temple-Smith, anyway, Vernon told Raymond and his other brothers and sisters of this. IT IS BELIEVED that Alfred went to Canada and started a new family over there but there is no evidence to prove this. I cannot find anything about him despite looking for help and other attempts in finding any record on him. He has vanished for now. Bessie was born in 1873 in Thomaston Main, United States.

Raymond then got married to a women called Dorris Emily Marriott who was born 7 Nov 1908 in Derbyshire, England and had children, Raymond died whilst at work on 14 Sept 1950 in Watford when he was constructing a Bridge. (he died alone as his family lived in Birmingham, West Midlands, England).

Out of respect of the man who brought him Raymond up, He kept his dads middle name Temple (used it himself and gave it his childrens name). He also gave the children his step fathers last name. So the children where born with the surname Temple-Purcell, If that makes sense? Some relatives are still living and I cannot give out that information obviously, but im sure a little digging you would be able to find that yourself. My advise is that you may not want to know them... But that's my own opinion. One of my granddad who was given the middle name Vernon out of respect of his half brother telling Raymond about his real father.

Raymonds death impacted when steal sheets that is used on construction sites, landed ontop of him. His family was in Birmingham, and his wife was alone, after a while, she had married a man in Daventry called Harry Wren who is now dead. She later died in Birmingham in 1985.

ps; Temple was given to a ancestor who was born in 1846, London, as a christen name, but was later used a a double barrelled name if they wanted it to be that. Later on down the line ancestor's just started putting in the word Temple as a family tradition. So there is either Temple-Smith, or just Smith, or Temple-Purcell or just Purcell. There is a lot of different possibility's for a surname but have managed to work it out over time. If you want any questions answered please ask and I will answer. Sorry if you don't understand this message properly.

Oh by the way, an ancestor on bessies side, which is herberts james smith's mother took part in the boston tea party in 1773. but I will explain more when you want to find out more :)
Kindest Regards
Andrew Purcell

Offline aitch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 January 13 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this info Andrew.  I shall pass it on to my old Temple-Smith friend in the village.
- aitch
RATCLIFFE, BARLOW, BERESFORD, BLOOR, BYATT, DAKIN, KENT, LEES, MORTON, NORCLIFFE, OAKS, OSBORNE, PARKS, RICHARDSON, ROBINSON, SORTON, WETTON, WARRINGTON, WATTS, WOOD, WOLVERSCROFT (all from the Staffordshire Moorlands) - and specific interest in anyone who at any time lived in or around the village of ALTON

Offline StephanieOxford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 July 13 13:56 BST (UK) »
I am working on the parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents of Alfred Temple Smith, and  you may be interested to see what I have done so far: and to offer help if you like!